1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Anything new for Falls this season ?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Hunter, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter

Any news ?

2. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Rest assured it will be iconically epic

Claude Cat likes this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

you mean you're not totally excited by the new logo?

The new mountain bike trails are open. Official opening is next weekend, with XC Eliminator World Champion Paul Van Der Ploeg doing the honours. I believe there will be a free shuttle for the downhill run that goes down international.

I haven't heard of anything major for winter. I thought last year they were pretty innovative with some of the deals offered, like 1234ever and the mum's coffee club. Hopefully we will see more good ideas like that.

4. Hully

Hully One of Us

My personal guess is nothing that requires capital expenditure. I think that there will be more of the strategic sales initiatives aimed at getting bums on seats. Winter assets are fully utilized for I would guess 2 weeks of the year (Vic/NSW July School Holidays) and most would list cost as a major barrier to skiing (skiing more) so IMHO it is a clever strategy.

Regarding the new logo, reading statements around it's release, don't expect to see it too many places where the changeover costs money. Mainly I would suggest in electronic form, seasonal printed material (tickets, brochures etc) if it was released soon enough to make printing deadlines and some low cost signage. Uniforms etc as they come up for changeover....not sure if that would be this year. The cynic/realist in me would suggest that VIPs, pollies, board members, senior execs for media events (official opening etc) will have uniform outerwear with the new logo.

currawong likes this.
  5. nick12

nick12 Addicted

It looks like they have added a few more techno alpine lances to main st from the Cams. Most appeared a few months back but another was added the other day.

6. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

Lift Co are replacing all uniforms this season, so all staff (Lift Co and Resort) will have the new logo on their uniforms.

7. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

8. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, there will be new snow as well.

9. Hully

Hully One of Us

No new snow this season...all remaining snow from last year was farmed out onto the Pretty Valley Glacier (a process referred accurately as snow agistment) and will be moved onto the Sun Valley Piste when conditions are appropriate. Ongoing implementation of this strategy is subject to results of the Alpine Cattle Grazing 'Trial' as the Glacier zone may well be grazed during next summer to prevent alpine blazing.

Ziggy, BilbyBill and cold wombat like this.
  10. Stratus

Stratus A Local

RFID gates at most lifts now yes?

Or just Falls/Eagle/Summit?

11. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Geez you guys are cynical. A new logo AND new uniforms for staff. Surely we all benefit from that!. Ungrateful sods.

12. currawong

My understanding is that is all Falls intend doing. The layout means that the ROI on putting gates everywhere just isn't there. Inter does see enough use to warrant installing gates, but they intend scanning manually there. Once you are over the back it's spot checking, not routine scanning.

Fine by me. More gates would not make skiing better for me. I'd rather they spent it on snowmaking, grooming, keeping prices down... maybe even a new lift one day <dreaming>

Stratus likes this.
  13. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Of course we're cynical, I'll change my mind when I can get a pie, chips and a coffee for less than a weeks wages. Actually; thinking about that I haven't seen a pie cart for years, or hot donuts on the road up either

14. currawong

Have you tried the little YMCA cafe at Windy Corner? Very basic, but cheapest on the mountain. Also the supermarket has a pie warmer, and a microwave for other things that you buy there.

Snownuts make cinnamon doughnuts (and sometimes jam doughnuts) to order above Slalom Plaza. IIRC the price wasn't too bad. I think they are also selling doughnuts in the bowl now too.

Not sure if there are cheap chips to be had anywhere though.

15. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Snownuts donuts are great. Cant go wrong with some of those, a hotdog and a pint for lunch. then pop some into the kids before going back inside in the afternoon

16. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Can you be sure? What about the glacial worm?

17. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There will be enough to care for the ice worms. So long as there is enough snow algae they'll be fine.

18. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I will be returning in 2014 after two years skiing at Perisher.

19. ADEL_GUY

ADEL_GUY Hard Yards

AUSI SKI BUM,
    Question! after skiing at Perisher and Falls Creek what would you think would be the best to work at.

Reason I ask is cause I can only get some much info from forum and youtube clips.

I've got 2 job offers (Rental and lifty) at Mt Buller, 1 (Bar attendant) at Perisher and possibly 1 at Falls but not sure yet about Falls.

Trying to weigh up what looks more fun and more enjoyable as a employee. I dunno if anyone else has worked at Falls or any other resort but would love to know your inputs.

20. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Having worked at FC for years I can honestly say it's mainly work and not skiing, after dark party is probably better at Buller [ fewer virgins there perhaps] but work is work and the skiing fits in around the rostered hours.
    Yes currawong I actually had a pie there last year, it tasted like it had been in the freezer since the previous season too.
    I know how and why they cost so much but I still object.
    I'm unfortunately old enough to remember when Falls really was a year round place, including events like the "Windrush" IMO VicRoads have practically ruined the place as a summer attraction with the new 80k speed limit and cash hungry wallopers earning brownie points with the mobile speed traps at all the most fun corners

21. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Without a doubt Falls Creek, they have a great team and always seem to be the most professonal, they will however demand a lot of you, its all fun but you have to do your job well. That said I just read what you wrote again and I was talking about the lift Co.

For bar work it depends on the company, certainly not sure I would work for the big one.

22. currawong

You get the most ski time if you work bar or kitchenhand in a place that is only open at night, e.g. private lodges. Lifties really don't get much on-snow time.

23. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Hully
    IMO there is no way that Falls is consistently at full capacity anywhere near 2 weeks of the year. In that 2 week period there are usually many days you can ski straight onto Summit and Scots with almost no queue the majority of the day. There is always last minute beds available in both Falls Creek and Mount Beauty. If Falls was running to capacity those things would not be happening. I suspect that you have to go back to the 1980's to find when lifts and accommodation were stretched to capacity. I agree with you that pushing down the cost of lifts and entrance charges is the right strategy to get use and revenue up.

ADEL_GUY likes this.
  24. Hully

Hully One of Us

Spot on Ocker...though I think that skiing straight on to Scott's and Summit is as much a reflection on what the market that skis Falls Creek is after. Probably at the same time, snowsports school lessons (particularly for kids) would be oversubscribed, learner carpets, Drovers and Towers would have reasonable queues and reliability of aging lifts would be a concern. If it was my business (from strictly a business point of view) I would be looking to fill days outside of NSW/Vic school holidays, increase short capaciity for snowsports school and classic learning terrain/lifts and addressing exposure to significant breakdowns on critical access lifts.

25. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Nice point Hully; also given our lousy weather I would like to see any new lifts with covered chairs to keep the rain off. Group lessons for beginner Telemarkers would be nice too; rather than paying for a 1 hour private lesson

26. Hully

Hully One of Us

Group lessons are usually offered for Telemarkers by Falls Creek Snow Sports School, just call them to pre arrange. They tend to be held in the lunchtime break between morning and afternoon lessons (nice quiet time on the lifts) and due to only having 1 or 2 participants are reduced to 1 hours as per the policy for all group lessons, however, you get a private lesson for group lesson price without the your own choice of Instructor (however this is usually only a choice of 1 or 2 anyway). Cheers

27. Hully

Hully One of Us

Problem is that our 'lousy weather' is typically associated with winds and these types of additions can tend to increase the impact of wind on lift operations.

28. weerab

weerab One of Us

I remember when the Lions Club had a cafe in the main carpark! Must be older than Moondog.

29. Hully

Hully One of Us

I'm a fair bit younger than you both and I remember the Lions Kiosk....and the manky smell of the day shelter.

30. currawong

That old day shelter was terrific. Not so sure about the Lions hamburgers.

The day shelter was quick to get to from the whole car park for dunnies and a warm dry place to put your boots on.

31. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

In all the years I saw the Lions Cafe, I never used it.

32. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Best burgers ever!

33. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If your young and single and want to have a really good time, Falls Creek would be a better place than Perisher.
    Never been to Buller so can't comment about that.
    I prefer the skiing in Perisher over Falls Creek, mainly due to it being more spread out and a lot more runs,but most staff up there live in Jindabyne, which is a pain with the travel time each day. Nightlife in Perisher is limited.
    Falls Creek would be a lot more fun if you are sociable and like to meet new people, I assume most staff still live up at Falls during winter.
    Pot and Shot nights at the Frying Pan used to be one of the biggest nights in town, unless RSA has killed it off.

34. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Buller is probably more social than Falls, especially on weekends.

35. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Spending a season up at Buller, with no snow and persistent fog...couldn't think of anything worse.

36. currawong

2 seasons at buller....

Charlie and Stratus like this.
  37. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Beats skiing at Falls. At least I used to get paid to ski there.

Back to the OP - chance of Merlin spending money on anything substantial? Zero.

38. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

according to a post on FB, Falls is charging bus passengers $17 a head as resort entry, up from $13.

39. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Must have twigged that there are a lot more people using Falls Coach Service these days.

40. soza

soza One of Us

On the ticketing front its good to see some of the deals like half price student days, 1234ever and mums club deals back again this year.

also a new parents pass by the look of things, great for those sharing child care duties.....not sure about the 2 hr time limit as it could take 30mins to get up top...be better if it was for the afternoon or even 2pm until close.

(copied from site)

• Parent Pass It's now even easier to take your little ones to the snow with the new Parents Pass!
    • Parents can now purchase a 2 hour pass for $49 along with either a full day or half day lift pass (lift passes must be used on the same day).
    • To be eligible for this great deal, you must be signed up to Snow Pass on the Falls Creek eStore and parents must live at the same address.
    • The 2 hour lift pass is valid from 1pm on the day of purchase and will be valid for 2 hours from the first scan.
    • Play tag team and take it in turns skiing and watching the kids for less.

Stratus likes this.
  41. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Here's a suggestion for somebody with spare money
    I think what is needed at Falls are some rentable ski and gear lockers [ with a discount for a full seasons use perhaps ] that were secure and dry where we could store our skis etc so we could drive up unencumbered by gear but not run the risk of having stuff stolen during our absence. Something like the extra large "Brownbuilt" style locker. I had all my gear stolen from the lodge I used to work for because there wasn't the ability to lock my stuff up [ partly my fault I 'spose I could have brought it back] What would something like that be worth?

42. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Don't know how big they are, but there are lockers at Falls Creek according to this

• CAN I STORE MY VALUABLES ANYWHERE?
    Lockers are available for hire at Falls Creek Sports QT, phone (03) 5758 1036 at the bottom of Falls Express Chairlift or at the top of Falls Express Chairlift at Cloud 9 Restaurant and day shelter. Lockers cost $8 per day and are limited in numbers. - See more at: http://www.fallscreek.com.au/FAQ#sthash.krypSDyc.dpuf

43. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Those are great for DAY-lockers. I was thinking something much bigger as a "SEASON" locker

JoeKing likes this.
  44. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Also, the hand dryers were great to dry and warm your boots!

45. currawong

my ski club has big locked cages for members' skis & boards. members can also get a locker for clothes and/or food & drink.

works for me :)

46. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Haven't been able to find any of the usual chatter about food providers this year...

Any changes on the dining front this year? Anywhere new that's worth a try or is old favourites again?

47. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Snonuts Donuts.

Mmmm....

48. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

That will get a work out but I was thinking more along the lines of dinner.

49. Hully

Hully One of Us

Barry Iddles is no longer running Winterhaven (will be run by the owner John Grant) and just running Elk. The guys from 3 Blue Ducks are running Astra Bar & Restaurant (still got The Gully as well). Rest as I know it are the same....maybe slight changes in chefs/style/direction.

50. currawong

Express lunch at Elk was great when we tried it. $17.50 I think. Ski-in ski-out, fast service, good main course meal. Also a soup available I think, and then more expensive options.

#50 currawong, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Apresski, Slushii and Majikthise like this.