1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Are Guthega and BC closed for the season?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by blackice, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

So will we see a "We're sorry, we made a bad call in shutting BC" acknowledgement on tomorrow's "Today at Perisher" tab? One suspects not ...

Quet likes this.
  2. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Exhibit A for being open on this day in 2014.

The million metre man was shot on Sep 23 (I meant to write Sep 22). And BC stayed open until the end of that week allowing the Qld school tour groups a dedicated ski school area and place to eat in comfort etc etc.

A very bad call driven by a desire to save money to impress the new owners. As they say - follow the money - and all will be answered.

#52 rocketboy, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    IAB and Gumbo like this.
  3. neko

neko Hard Yards

Of course not.

Having taken some time to read Perishers Facebook page and seeing the excuse they are pedalling to people for closing (incoming storm), it's insulting to people's intelligence. The forecasted weather this week is no worse than anything else that has occurred this season...

I wasn't really phase one way or another (personally), but it irritates me seeing companies push complete and utter BS through their social media and expect people to swallow it.

4. Quet

Quet First Runs

5. Donza

Donza Pool Room

That was published 23rd Sept. Shot before that date.

Quet likes this.
  6. Quet

Quet First Runs

Totally agree. I first skied at perisher in the early 1980's and have fond memories. I still try go there at every opportunity and will continue to. I keep a close on the weather forecast. This helps me to decide if it's worth making the trip.
    Im disappointed with the web sites promotion, lack of communication etc The first thing you get is huge ads wanting you to buy the epic pass, then more ads saying how great conditions are even when they're not. There is no clear listing of day passes, 1-5 days passes or notification of closures once again hard to find if you're not mb ph app savy, they exist but not easy to find. My advice, look at the forecast, read the snow depths, look at the snow cams & if in doubt book accomdation but don't buy lift tickets or hire gear till you arrive there. And above all, apply a little individual critical thinking and don't get sucked into the pay in advance promotions and hype. And....enjoy yourself.

blackice likes this.
  7. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Perisher web site is getting worse by the year. They are going for total control, rather then being helpful.

dawooduck and Quet like this.
  8. Quet

Quet First Runs

Is it just me or does it seems that a lot has changed with the P/B web sites since Vail took over? Where is the promotion that reads: "For those committed local skiers / boarders we are offering the Perisher Blue Epic Aus seasonal pass for only $500.That right! You can ski from start to the end of season for only $500.
    If you pay $600 before April we will include a seasonal pass into the National park & access to ski tube. Should we be forced to close early due to lack of snow coverage we will discount your ticket the following season when you make a season pass purchase.
    PB will also still be selling day & mid week passes because we understand that not all our customers will benefit from holding a seasonal pass."
    Then again maybe that's just wishful thinking lol..:deadhorse:

9. blackice

blackice One of Us

Agree completely. Are they seriously quoting the 'impending storm' to justify the closure? Let me just dig up the excited emails where they are talking about the 30cm about to hit in mid-july.

They also justified the closure of the Mt P double one day mid-season due to 'strong winds'. I was on Mt P that day, and I can tell you that I've ridden the Mt P double in winds twice as strong. They take their customers for fools sometimes.

EDIT : Yes, I am aware of the effect of different wind directions...it was a BS excuse..I saw the mountain operations guys trying to start it up and give up after about 15 minutes.

#59 blackice, Sep 23, 2015
    Brench and dawooduck like this.
  10. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So by this logic, Perisher is 1,245 hectares Vs Thredbos 480 hectares i.e.: 38% should Thredbos lift tix be ~$46 all season long?

Last Sunday there was barely anyone at Blue Cow, I can't imagine what its like during weekdays.

OTOH there is no excuse for poor communication!

blackice likes this.
  11. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

A bit of rain doesn't do much during the cooler months when there is a good base , but at the end of the season ,with lots of warm weather and the ground all wet, with a few areas with mud appearing it can cause the snow to disappear very quickly.
    That was very evident last week at Guthega(Tuesday 15/9) , when after one day of high winds and a little rain , rocks started appearing in many high traffic areas.The damage was very evident, everywhere you looked
    According the the snow forecast website that I use they forecast 2 days of light intermittent rain with temps around 6c for the weekend and cooling down on Monday with snow falling,once it turns to mud, a few cm of snow isn't going to make much difference.
    I left on Friday , so I have no idea on how much rain(if any) actually fell and the actual temps and wind speed, but I did notice a couple of small areas around the Pleasant Valley/Brumby T Bar entry area on Thursday that had rocks coming through, and all the areas were extremely soft by 11am with only Zalis and Mother in Law staying in reasonable shape .
    But it would have been great fun over the last few days with the cold temps, and a fresh dusting of snow over the region.!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    I'm surprised the Packers never tried to get the NSW government to bring forward the September school holidays by a week or two.

#61 WaitAwhile, Sep 23, 2015
  12. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Rumor mill. Blue cow re opening Saturday

13. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo

[​IMG]

14. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

15. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Erudite, witty and funny.

Are you sure you're not actually @Charlie ?

blackice, Majikthise and JoeKing like this.
  16. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

I have been called worser things.

17. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

And that's just tonight!

18. skichic

skichic A Local

If they're flying backwards then I'll be there!

Astro66 and Ozgirl like this.
  19. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I hope you're right. Despite my annoyance at Perisher l couldn't help myself and have just booked 2 nights accom so am back up there this weekend.

20. skichic

skichic A Local

See you for first lifts Saturday?

21. Astro66

Like a moth to the flame. LOL

Enjoy. :thumbs:

22. IAB

I'll be there, V8 at 7:50am :)

skichic likes this.
  23. IAB

I know, I'm going to get "Mug punter" tattooed on my forehead :doh:

Are you around this weekend?

24. Astro66

Nah. Headed to St George Motor Boat to clean up the second love of my life. ;)

Should be nice at Perisher. Big fat High hanging over.

You guys have fun.

25. IAB

:thumbs:

26. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

comparing a skyscraper with a row of council townhouses ......

Angus_McCrory likes this.
  27. IAB

Have heard this morning from someone who should know that this is not the case.

Mind you this person didn't know it was being to be closed on Sunday either.

28. sbm

sbm One of Us

Hey, could you confirm this? It still says it's closed on the RMS website, is only open for lodge managers etc with key?. Probably heading to Guthega on the weekend for backcountry, and it'd be nice to take the short cut!

29. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

sometimes I suspect he is @Charlie 's love child

30. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

M9 and I came home today. Pretty Valley is still running but the cover is lamentable and getting back involves a lot of skating and pushing on his crappily-waxed rental skis. Happy Valley is still running but even he said it's pretty boring and flat, and in any case a 186cm parent riding a T-bar with a 130cm kid is a complete pain with the T across the back of my knees - once or twice a day is worth it but that's about the limit. Mt P isn't accessible to us because I doubt he could ride the steeper T-bars to get back. I'd been counting on Pleasant Valley, rollercoaster and side saddle to get some variety in our day but they're shut.

So we ended up doing laps on the quad to mid station. It was him that made the call to stop skiing yesterday when he said "Dad I'm getting bored of doing the same run over and over". Add to that the traffic density was a shocker. He got cleaned up by a snowboarder (no damage done) but we had to constantly be on the lookout because there were so many people on that part of the hill.

Had we gone to Thredbo (and saved over $250 in accommodation and parking at River Inn instead of The Man from Snowy River) we'd have had a couple of runs at Merritts, plus Supertrail, plus High Noon and the odd run down the Basin T. The snow cover is equally slush city at both resorts but I'm highly unlikely to make another last-minute late season trip to Perisher again if the choice of terrain is going to be so restricted.

They got our money, but not a future return visit.

31. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Umm. Inter and Eyre are as steep as super trail and high noon... as for the Ts. Just get him to ride solo.

blackice likes this.
  32. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I think he was saying that the t bar ride itself is too steep... which would be harder if the kid rode on his own.

But the Triple? Towers wouldn't be any steeper/harder that Highnoon...

33. Piste Again

I brought him down Supertrail (from the cat track) a few times last year, he's handling the easy blue runs at Whistler and he coped with goat gully pretty well this week, so I reckon he could ski both Eyre and High Noon without any trouble. Getting to the top of Eyre wouldn't be a problem on the chairs either. So no problem there at all.

Towers? Maybe a bit steep in places to get to the middle of the mountain but the bottom part would be ok.

Where the difficulty lies is that getting back to front valley from Mt P means riding much steeper T-bars than the ones he already struggled on, and if he couldn't get up them then it's a helluva long walk back. More practice will get him there but throwing him solo on Leichhardt or the other one near the rope tow is likely to end up badly.

34. Donza

Donza Pool Room

. happy valley is pretty shallow

35. Piste Again

True, and he didn't have much trouble riding it with me, but the ski patroller we spoke to on a lift told me that the runs to get to it from Mt P are chopped up, icy and ungroomed at the moment and suggested it wouldn't be a good idea to take him on them.

36. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Towers then a cat track..

37. skichic

skichic A Local

It's easy peasy to get back from Mt P to Happy Valley. Either take the track halfway down the bottom of Towers or go down Vista through Sun Valley. All groomed. Otherwise suck it up and ride the t-bars with him. It's a right of parentage :D

Ozgirl, nfip and Donza like this.
  38. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Grooming should be better on Friday. Also it's easier for most kids to go up on their own on a T-bar - their weight is not enough to cause the same distortion to the t as it pulls you up. On most lifts this not usually a problem at this time of year for a single to ride the TBar. And most sensible adults in the queue line have no issue with small kids riding on their own - especially if you have organized a single for yourself if there are few people in the queue. Otherwise it's just another empty lift at Eyre and International and the problem is usually the reverse - finding someone to ride the T with.

skichic likes this.
  39. Piste Again

Shame - we drove back to Sydney today.

Getting down : All probably good advice if you know where to go. I haven't been on Mt P since 1999 so I'm working purely off the trail map and the signs with a kid who can manage easy blue runs but will be in strife on anything icy and/or steep. From memory it's not that well marked up there. I have no fears for myself because I can probably handle the terrain, but M9 is not a good enough skier if we get stuck on something gnarly it could get ugly.

Getting home : if he falls off before getting to the top of Leichhardt t-bar (or the next one along, whatever it is) after a couple of attempts, which I would assess as at least a 50% probability, will ski patrol come and rescue him on a skidoo, will they look after him while I ski back, or do they bring a second skidoo out to bring me back with him, or what's the deal there?

T-bars - he's ridden 4 in his life, all this week, all pretty iffy and on gentle slopes. I'm sure with practice he can ride one alone, but throwing him on the steep ones back from Mt P is likely not to turn out well. From memory one has an "experienced riders only" sign on it.

So ;

1 - Is it good use of ski patrol's time to dig people out of situations where they knowingly risk getting themselves out of their depth?
    2 - what does that do to his confidence and will he want to go back next year?

40. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Addicted

You dont actually need to ride either of those T's to get back from Mt P. You can take the Happy Valley T or the rope tow and then from there ski across to the Duplex which is not steep or even take a short walk back to the Quad.

41. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Or, come to thredbo.

42. neko

neko Hard Yards

Why use Leichardt? As others have mentioned, come back on Happy Valley T which is one of the easiest you'll find. If you don't go on Eyre/International T-bars then there are no steep T-bars involved. You can do laps of Mt P off the double or triple chair, then get back to Front Valley via Happy Valley T. Happy Valley is the first T-bar you come across when coming off Mt P, you have to go past it to get to any of the other lifts you have mentioned, so not sure what the problem is?

If your kid can do blues at Whistler then Mt P isn't going to be much of an issue (if any) for him :) And the signage on Mt P is very good.

43. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Just an obs

Seems like there are always more complaints coming out of Perisher than any other resort, not sure if it is the resort or the customers or even warranted but it's definitely noticeable

crackson likes this.
  44. Piste Again

The run down to Happy Valley - I'm guessing you mean to come down beside sun valley t-bar - looks fairly steep and the last time I skied it (admittedly in 1999) it was also a bit of a mogul field at the bottom. Maybe he could ski it, but if not then we end up getting stuck.

Perhaps I'm being over-cautious but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

45. Donza

Donza Pool Room

^ No there is a mellow cat track half way down towers that cuts back toward happy T

46. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah fair comment . (but I don't read the Thredders stuff)
    Prolly because more people ski Perisher so pound for pound just a guess. ?
    I reckon it's great ...., hope they all get the shites and go to Thredders. LOL

Not that it would be any easier to get the kids around there all the time.
    High Noon and lower ST can be a tad challenging also.
    Let alone the bottle necks and carnage on the Catwalk ..... etc etc
    Top of Antons or Sponars T's are no diff than top of Eyre / Inters either. IMO

I love skiing both resorts.
    Have skiid them both for 35 years :eek:

Also I simply am aware that the terrain , conditions and a bucket load of other variables can go pear shape no matter who or where you are.
    Some boilerplate at Rustsu cupple years back was not quite to plan either.

You gotta go out of your comfort zone at times to challenge learn & progress.
    That's the business....

:cheers:

blackice and Fandango like this.
  47. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Just a couple of thoughts on the above.

1. I now ski Hi Noon as little as possible because I find it very dangerous. A number of people feel they can get down Merrits (note I didn't say ski or ride it) and decide to graduate to Hi Noon where they are totally out of their depth. The only way they can stop is to run into someone! I cannot remember anywhere in Perisher where there are as many accidents as on Hi noon.

2. Unfortunately T bars are a fact of life anywhere where the wind is as strong as it is here. Would it be worth getting your son a private lesson next year and explain to the instructor that you would like your son to get more confident on t bars? After all if you come to Thredbo Sponars, Antons, Easy Rider and even the Basin have steep parts on them.

48. Piste Again

The only runs I can see on the trail map in that area are birnum birnum, which is double blue through the trees. I'm still trying to get M9 out of pizza and putting weight on the front of the skis, so probably not a wise place to take him yet (plus ski patrol told me it hadn't been groomed for a few weeks, had been through a few freeze/thaw cycles and was pretty gnarly). If there's a cat track other than that it's not marked on the trail map - shame because we might've given it a try if I knew about that.
    nfip - I completely agree about the comfort zone thing, but it's a matter of stretching the zone, not ripping it apart completely from not knowing what I'm getting myself (and M9) into. F16 went a long way backwards on one trip after getting into something way over her head, and M9 doesn't have her almost-bulletproof self confidence. So it's gentle stretching rather than deep-end-of-the-pool stuff.

nfip likes this.
  49. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yes mate , have taught my 3 kids to ski so know exactly where you coming from.
    Bummer that Perisher have shut Mitchell T in favour of the V8 as it's a great starter
    and you don't have to take on goats or top of the duplex etc.

Try a day at Smiggs next year (if you come back !!)..
    Perfect for getting confidence up and learning to ride the surface lifts , Poma and T's.
    Has a slow moving triple chair also and lots of gentle tree runs for the fun factor.
    Probs same difficulty as up on Cruiser / Merrits if not bit tamer.
    Not going to help this year.

Any resort will struggle for options now , just depends on aspect and altitude what runs are still OK.

50. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Addicted

@Piste Again just for reference the easy trail back from Mt P that @Donza referred to is lower down the hill than Burnum. I think it is usually marked on the hill by a little sign, but agree I dont think it is obvious on the trail map.