1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Are Guthega and BC closed for the season?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by blackice, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If there's a "next year" in Oz it'll hopefully be at Thredbo where I have a lodge share and $40/night accommodation. The lodge was booked out this year hence the Thredbo/PB decision came up.

Since he's coped ok with goats gully this year and lower supertrail last year I think he's ready for high noon and the full supertrail. He'll have 2 weeks skiing in France between now and then as well. If he has a growth spurt then we can bite off some more interesting stuff on Central Spur or Karels/Basin.

blackice likes this.
  2. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes unfortunately it is very common for Perisher to close half the resort just in time for the school holidays, with no notice.

I have been caught before, that's why I've subsequently enjoyed a couple of great late season weeks at Thredbo where they do seem to make a better effort at keeping as much of the mountain open as possible.

I've often thought that Perisher should try a low-cost option for running Blue Cow late season with minimal lifts, such as only the Brumby T-bar, Summit Quad and Ridge Quad, with access to and from Perisher via top of the Perisher Quad over and back via Mid Station, no Ski Tube above Perisher, and no restaurant ..............oh and an 'Expert skiers only' sign. :)

3. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Mitchell was open today, luckily as the V8 broke just before close

4. Piste Again

Yeah - it's interesting that the excuse from everyone at Perisher is that the staff all move on to other things and they don't have the people to run things.

Firstly, how come Thredbo can keep virtually the whole mountain running until the snow disappears yet Perisher don't have the staff available?

Secondly, if they know large swathes of the staff are all finishing up on a certain day, then presumably they've had Blue COw's closing date locked in for possibly a few months. Choosing not to advertise it only pisses off their customers, as can be seen from this thread.

nfip likes this.
  5. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah. Gotta say this whole we can't get staff excuse is getting a bit tired.

6. neko

neko Hard Yards

At a guess, Thredbo would require significantly less staff because it has less infrastructure (lifts, no skitube etc).

I'm in two minds on this. The second last day Guthega was open I asked several lifties if it was their second last day, and the reply from all of them was "nobody knows". Whether they were playing dumb (told to?) or generally didn't know I am not sure of.

blackice likes this.
  7. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

This. Perisher is much bigger resort, and require significantly more staff. Hence, incomparable with Thredbo, IMO.

#107 sara777, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Ozgirl and blackice like this.
  8. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Addicted

Last day for Pretty Valley today.

9. Piste Again

I'm not so sure about that. Thredbo seem to keep the vast majority of their staff on till they close, but the excuse at PB is that most of the staff have other things to move on to. Why is it that the same proportion of Thredbo staff don't also have something to move on to?

If the Guthega lifties had no idea when they were finishing then surely it's the resort telling them they're finished, not some pre-planned departure on their part.

10. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I would love to see Blue Cow stay open for the first week of the school holidays,(depandant on snow) but for it to work you would have to convince Perisher to get the school groups over there, that would relieve pressure on the lifts at Perisher, but it would also means the food services and skitube would have to be kept running.
    Many of the workers based at Blue Cow need the skitube open to get there and I believe that is how they get supplies up there.
    Keeping Blue Cow open with no food services and ski tube imho is a waste of time .
    An easier option would be to keep some of the T bars open on front /centre valley, the last time I saw some of them(Fri 18/9) some looked like they had been shut down for the season???.

sara777 likes this.
  11. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Casual labour, hourly rate, no guaranteed hours .... "no one knows"

Ozgirl and sara777 like this.
  12. Piste Again

A few of them weren't running on the 21/22/23rd, but the queues were pretty short on the ones that were. SInce they all go to pretty much the same place as the quad takes you I don't think they'd make much difference other than maybe to put even more punters on front valley, which is packed enough as it is.

13. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Most of those t-bars were open yesterday. Will be interesting to see what they have open tomorrow as it is a public holiday in the ACT

14. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Fair enough , but to keep Blue Cow open you would need at least 30 staff, probably more once you include managers,as well as lifties , you need groomers, maintenance staff ,train drivers,ski patrol and staff up in the dining room areas plus cleaners , Unless they put the school groups over there its probably going to be a waste of money.
    The locals with season passes wont ski there because there is no vertical metres in it,especially with the Ridge area closed.
    Rollercoaster was probably not going to last and the only areas to remain open would be Terminal,Zalis,Brumby and probably Pleasant Valley if the bottom section didnt get to affected by the rain??????????? that was forecast for last week-end .

15. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Thredbo is terrible in spring imo.

blackice and i_am_higher like this.
  16. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Huh ?

blackice likes this.
  17. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Thredbo is a year round resort. Their labour force is employed on different conditions on account of this.

I was down this past week, while for selfish reasons I would have liked to have BC open. I'm realistic enough to appreciate it would have been unskiable for the vast majority of the time.
    I'm also realistic enough to appreciate that Perisher is a business, and with minimal customers , the revenue was low.
    As for comparing Perisher to Thredbo in spring.
    Thredbo trails by a country mile in skiing experience IMO.
    Most of the terrain that holds decent snow in Thredbo in mid september is from 1800m asl up.
    Its shallow on the whole with a few exceptions.
    If you run High Noon or the ST to the bottom any time after 11 you will hate life... horrible snow.
    Perisher was skiing really well over the past week. I had some of the best spring groomers i've skied.
    2 Parks were still maintained....

18. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Addicted

I vote for Perisher to leave more terrain open!! Having lift lines 3 people deep on a beautiful Spring Sunday is unacceptable. And they should stop the snow getting all soft and chopped up after lunch. Seriously if BC and Guthega were open you could nearly ride all day and not see another person. Its Spring, the boys are in Shorts and the Girls in T Shirts, relax and enjoy.

nfip likes this.
  19. nfip

Yep.
    Glass half full.
    Maybe we should have 2 threads.
    Another for glass half empty.

Mtn2Sea likes this.
  20. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

So is skiing Perisher just about chasing vertical metres now, rather than quality? Had great days lapping Brumby T, didn't need the vertical more interested in a run that had good snow and short queues.

Lady Penelope, Mtn2Sea and nfip like this.
  21. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don't know how many times I missed vertical by lapping trees and going only half way down to Interceptor to enjoy 30+ fresh snow, not to mention venturing into slack country. I don't even go to my dashboard. But I admire all those who achieved big and high this year. It's certainly better than chasing beers in the pub :) :cheers:

Lady Penelope, Mtn2Sea and nfip like this.
  22. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think that comment was about "chasing" vertical metres. It is more about the fact that people like the length of the run, vertical drop.

The ridge chair at 340m is easily the longest vertical drop in the resort, and offers the longest uninterrupted run. Some people (including me) like that. It is great when the snow is good and lift lines not long. For me that is part of the fun of BC, getting to do those relatively long runs. If the ridge chair is closed, blue cow loses a lot of its appeal and variety for an advanced skiier.

There are loads of places in the resort where you can ski good snow and fun runs on lifts with 100-220m vertical drop, and I spend most of my time doing that. However, when you feel like a long run a flat out blast down excelerator or yarandoo does the trick.

Also for those who are "chasing vertical metres" the ridge is not a good place to go. It is a very slow lift, and the lines are long!

EDIT : just waiting for the usual suspects to chime in and tell me to go the thredbo!

23. nfip

Not for me.
    Big part of mine time on the hill is not lift assisted.
    Prolly my best day in resort this year was in a blizz lapping Calf T with D14.

Ted Harper likes this.
  24. Piste Again

340 metres - pffft! That's about half of Thredbo, about a fifth of Whistler and about a ninth of Chamonix.

25. Donza

Donza Pool Room

That makes me laugh so hard.
    Which half of Thredbo is it? the good half? the bottom half? the middle half.

26. skichic

skichic A Local

No way! But this late in the season when snow quality diminishes quickly and choices are limited, it's both a bit of fun and incentive to ski (exercise) longer that I would otherwise. It's my Strava for skiing.

Mid season it's all about fun, company, quality and beating the queues.

Lady Penelope, nfip and Normo like this.
  27. Piste Again

At this time of year, the top half obviously. A month ago it wouldn't have mattered - it's just half.

340 metres of vertical really isn't much to get excited about. I got a bit excited doing the peak to creek at Whistler in January - that's all but a mile of vertical. Seven or 8 laps of that will take you the whole day!

28. despot721

despot721 One of Us

That sums up the whole point of going to the snow for me. Great post.:thumbs:

nfip likes this.
  29. nfip

A mile, is that all ROFL!!!! (he says channelling the four Yorkshire men)
    Pfft.
    Gulmarg we did from 4200 down to 1500.
    One lap .
    Lift up in the morning at 8.30 ,from 2600 , got home about 6.00.
    ;)

30. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I'm not really that stoked on the Vert at Whistler to be honest...500 metres of decent snow is enough for me, in a resort...1000 of pow would be/is fun

31. sbm

sbm One of Us

In Aus the "good" vertical tops about about 500m.

• Thredbo, Supertrail, from Eagle's Nest to the Meadows
    • Thredbo, Antons - Merrits - Dream run to the bottom of the creek.
    • The western faces of the Main Range consistently offer 4-500m vertical.
    • The west face of Mt Townsend can go to 700m vertical in a good year, skiing from 2200m to 1500m.
    • The subsidiary ridge of Mt Twynam can do abut 600m vertical in a good year, skiing from 2200m to 1600m.

nfip and Ted Harper like this.
  32. Ultra

Ultra One of Us

not really, i spent 13 days on snow, and managed just 15,000 mtrs.

nfip likes this.
  33. blackice

blackice One of Us

Really, it isn't

34. blackice

blackice One of Us

At a guess, it's just related to volumes.

More people skiing at the resort = more unhappy people & more happy people.

nfip likes this.
  35. blackice

blackice One of Us

I was standing there as it happened. I'm pretty sure they opened Mitchell about 5 mins after the V8 stopped.

36. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Well, I've had fun.

37. blackice

blackice One of Us

Never head that excuse myself. Most of the lifties and other staff would be happy to stay on in my experience. A job's a job. It's possible some of the staff move on to summer jobs on the coast etc but I really don't think that staff availability is the issue. The resort makes a call and they put their people off. Be good if they could let their customers know at the same time...

Piste Again and nfip like this.
  38. blackice

blackice One of Us

So bad

39. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Don't go to Thredbo ever, it sucks

40. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Its ok.
    I've had...6 maybe seven season passes there...done circa 200 days... there is a lot of things it isn't.

blackice likes this.
  41. blackice

blackice One of Us

Agree with most of this @Donza, but...

1) They could have let people know they were closing part of the resort
    2) They make a lot of profit each year (tens of millions at least..annual report anyone??). Closing part of the resort with only two weeks to go and lots of cover is unlikely to have any serious impact whatsoever on their profits. I was there, there was lots of cover at BC,Guthega needed to be closed, I don't ski at Smiggins so don't have a view on that.

42. blackice

blackice One of Us

Same :)

I was there last weekend, and hopefully will be on closing weekend too.

43. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

When the kids leave home ..... back to DaBo.

7 days PB
    29 days DaBo
    5 days Side Country

It was a good year for DaBo side .... like a long natural slope style course with better beer, doesn't close half the bar two weeks early and doesn't shut down when a dog farts in Jindy.

Olympic .... why not just pull it out !!!!

44. nfip

Bullshit.
    Thredders is so good.
    Go there.
    Perisher is farckd .

benchives and blackice like this.
  45. blackice

blackice One of Us

The manager/caretaker at the PV lodge I'm a member at told me that the cost of running a t-bar for a day is about $150-200 in electricity + wages, so maybe around $6-700 a day. Not including all the costs for ski patrol, groomers, back of house etc) but scaling the lifts doesn't equal an equal scaling in those costs anyway.

For credibility, he was mountain operations manager for something like 30 years, but would be quite a few years out of it.

(Want to know why tower 5 on the double is a new tower? It got taken out by a falling rock when they were doing summer time improvements...)

46. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Grooming a cat track in spring would be up there in $$$

47. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

3 until today...

and torstein broke his back on one!

48. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah he has had a rotten run.
    I think he may have come off Ok ish

49. blackice