Advice needed Are skiers now the biggest menace on the hill?

Are skiers now the biggest menace on the hill?

• Yes, they go too fast and don't understand blind spots

• No, any ski crashes are due to snowboarders pushing all the snow off the hill

Results are only viewable after voting.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
This post actually makes sense, so I'm not sure it belongs in this thread?
200.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I’ve always just treated the problem like a game of rugby. If in doubt drop in the shoulder and take ‘em out.
That’s PBs theory also.
Seems to work for him.

Whereas I take evasive action and usually end up hurting myself. Should learn to drop the shoulder, but it’s instinctive right?

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Telemarkers are the biggest menace. It's only since I spend more of my time whoring myself out on alpine skis that you've noticed the change.
most telemarkers are ok but a few seem to be a variation of the racing snowplougher. they may change feet a lot but don't seem to turn far and don't seem too much in control

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ultra 3.0

Addicted
Jun 23, 2022
Hardly ever see the stand up toboggan when it’s steep, moguls or back country.
They seem to congregate in Flocks around chair lifts.
Therefore , skiers are the problem.
so what your saying, is skiers have trouble getting to the bottom of a mountain?

Reactions: jonathanc

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
That’s PBs theory also.
Seems to work for him.

Whereas I take evasive action and usually end up hurting myself. Should learn to drop the shoulder, but it’s instinctive right?
Happy to give lessons. Friday flat Sunday afternoon. Skate skis, rugby ball, beer and enough of us to make two teams. You will soon be taking out your opposite team mate with enough gratuitous violence to make any day on super trail fun again.
Indifferent if ski or snowboard.

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
Blind spots ! A snow boarder is always 50% blind. Either facing up hill or down hill with no eyes in their back. And. Always hung over so that probably takes the level of blindness to maybe 95%. Everyone knows that skiers are clean living vegans and they eat activated almonds every morning and never touch the devils broth……….

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Last time I had a snow collision was 2010 on Perisher front valley during night skiing. Thought I was years past colliding with people at that point.

Middle age lady ran into me at near base of V8, early 30’s male, not small or a soft build, tried to turn away & soften myself as she hit, still felt like a truck running over a wallaby.

Poor thing made a noise like a deflating sack, was mortified, though I’d hospitaled her or worse. She hadn’t even seen me, was like she skied straight into an unpadded pylon. Ironically had been riding as far away as possible from centre of slope to avoid skiers & nabblers going too fast for their ability.

Moral of the story - don’t go to front valley.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
The industry sells dreams of high G arc to arc turns, but most videos are filmed on empty slopes.
One of the best ski school directors that I worked for who was and still is a PSIA luminary made a comment early in the shaped ski era that went something along the lines of "Why are we teaching people to carve and ski faster? We should be teaching them to shape their turns and ski slower!"

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
One of the best ski school directors that I worked for who was and still is a PSIA luminary made a comment early in the shaped ski era that went something along the lines of "Why are we teaching people to carve and ski faster? We should be teaching them to shape their turns and ski slower!"
But isn't skiing fast on the inside ski how you become an expert (amongst your mates)

• Haha
Reactions: CarveMan

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Now we give them fat skis so they can plough through anything without turning. Who needs turns? Straight lining is the new turn.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using