Advice needed Are skiers now the biggest menace on the hill?

Are skiers now the biggest menace on the hill?

• Yes, they go too fast and don't understand blind spots

• No, any ski crashes are due to snowboarders pushing all the snow off the hill

Results are only viewable after voting.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
IMG_0750.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Who are these snowboarders that you speak of? Are they the ones I always see sitting in the middle of runs in large groups? I thought they were just lost tobogganers
While the ones sitting in the middle of a run are annoying, the ones that really get me riled up are the ones that sit in front of the offload on chairs and Ts.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
I actually very rarely see this. I do see a lot of skiers standing in the offload area discussing which coffee spot they’ll go to.
I ran over some kid sitting in the unload on his board at the top of Burke T at Smiggins on the LWE. With the placement of the control tower and snow bank, the operators couldn't see anything lower than about 1.2m.

Top of FV, just after the unload, at perisher is a dog's breakfast of snowboarders strapping in. Mid-station the same.

Reactions: Hully

enuenu

Hard Yards
Jun 14, 2007
Oz
In the 15 days I've done this year the most dangerous people I've seen have been skiers. Going way too fast and close. Maybe because there's more of them, odds are there are more idiots on skis than boards.
It's the pilot, not the craft.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Snowboarders should have these mounted on their helmets.

1659253834667.png

1659256695138.png
Won't help. I was following a skier down front valley a few years back. I went left he went left, I went right he went right. This went on three or four times. I eventually got the shits and headed off in the direction of the terrain park just to avoid being blamed for a collision . At least I could look back over my shoulder to see what was going on behind me before exiting stage right. Just one advantage of being a snowboarder.

Reactions: RustyJ and LMB

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Won't help. I was following a skier down front valley a few years back. I went left he went left, I went right he went right. This went on three or four times. I eventually got the shits and headed off in the direction of the terrain park just to avoid being blamed for a collision . At least I could look back over my shoulder to see what was going on behind me before exiting stage right. Just one advantage of being a snowboarder.

That left right thing, it's called skiing

PeterJN

Hard Yards
May 11, 2020
Today watched a boarder go fast through the middle of a lesson on the side of Highway. He could of kept his distance but instead nearly totalled some girl.
Deadset moron.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
One of the best ski school directors that I worked for who was and still is a PSIA luminary made a comment early in the shaped ski era that went something along the lines of "Why are we teaching people to carve and ski faster? We should be teaching them to shape their turns and ski slower!"
Ssssh. You'll upset the perisher VM crew.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Oh, so that was you. I was thinking "bloody snowboarder, make up your mind"
LOL

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
This one time, I was inconvenienced. I've never forgiven that inconsiderate bastard.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
So you were following them and somehow it's their fault that the turns matched?

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
So you were following them and somehow it's their fault that the turns matched?
Not blaming him at all. It was just a bit annoying, I probably would have got past him but had he decided to turn a bit wider I could have found myself in a please explain moment.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

You are behind, it’s your job to stay behind or find a proper and clear gap then go thru without disrupting the slider you are overtaking.

Politeness 101.

It’s in the code of conduct as well.

Chinese downhill, do what it takes.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
you're up hill.
you are responsible. //
You are behind, it’s your job to stay behind or find a proper and clear gap then go thru without disrupting the slider you are overtaking.

Politeness 101.

It’s in the code of conduct as well.

Chinese downhill, do what it takes.
Well aware of the code of conduct hence giving him a wide berth.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
In the 15 days I've done this year the most dangerous people I've seen have been skiers. Going way too fast and close. Maybe because there's more of them, odds are there are more idiots on skis than boards.
It's the pilot, not the craft.
I got buzzed by a pair of boarders today on Ballroom. First time it’s been snowboarders, usually it’s skiers!

I had stopped on my toeside to the very side of the run to watch the descent of my friends as they were working on a new skill.

These two deviated right at me, and turned at the last minute to miss my board by millimetres. Yet there was an entire vacant run right there… I expect they were hoping I’d flinch. Guys, seriously, that’s nothing…try spending all day every day on Friday Flat LOL

I’m just not sure what the motivation of people is to buzz like that. One wobble or hitting a patch of ice and it ends with a ride in an akja for someone.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I look over my shoulder anytime I’m making a larger than expected turn, such as exiting stage right. And I’m a skier. Who doesn’t trust anyone else on the slopes.

jonathanc

upright toboggan enthusiast
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
I was skiing the steeps of Smiggins when I saw a gang of skiers deliberately crash into a bus full of schoolkids, causing it to roll over into the creek and burst into flames.

Filled with adrenaline, I lifted the bus out of the creek and extinguished the flames with my tears of rage.

Knowing the kids were safe, I turned my attention to the gang of skiers who were now at the base of the cliffs below me. We locked eyes and I roared like a lion - my bowl cut turned into a long, plaited ponytail, my aldi snow jacket turned into a cool leather jacket and I suddenly knew karate. I was now Steven Seagal.

I unclipped one foot, dropped into the icy cliff and speed-tucked. Ski patrol waved frantically, but now was not the time for rules - it was the time for vengeance.

Witnesses said that once I reached 300km/h they could see a fire phoenix form around me.

I launched into the air, grabbed my board in the most powerful and stylish of grabs (the tindy). A storm formed above and forked lightning hit the ground. It was time. I used my unclipped foot to judo-kick the skiers into an alternate dimension.

The skies cleared and I broke down and wept as I abhor violence. Smiggins was safe again... but for how long?

This is a true story - it happened on opening day the year that perisher released the cheap passes, which can't be a coincidence. It caused a fundamental shift in the balance of the snow-verse.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
I was skiing the steeps of Smiggins when I saw a gang of skiers deliberately crash into a bus full of schoolkids, causing it to roll over into the creek and burst into flames.

Filled with adrenaline, I lifted the bus out of the creek and extinguished the flames with my tears of rage.

Knowing the kids were safe, I turned my attention to the gang of skiers who were now at the base of the cliffs below me. We locked eyes and I roared like a lion - my bowl cut turned into a long, plaited ponytail, my aldi snow jacket turned into a cool leather jacket and I suddenly knew karate. I was now Steven Seagal.

I unclipped one foot, dropped into the icy cliff and speed-tucked. Ski patrol waved frantically, but now was not the time for rules - it was the time for vengeance.

Witnesses said that once I reached 300km/h they could see a fire phoenix form around me.

I launched into the air, grabbed my board in the most powerful and stylish of grabs (the tindy). A storm formed above and forked lightning hit the ground. It was time. I used my unclipped foot to judo-kick the skiers into an alternate dimension.

The skies cleared and I broke down and wept as I abhor violence. Smiggins was safe again... but for how long?

This is a true story - it happened on opening day the year that perisher released the cheap passes, which can't be a coincidence. It caused a fundamental shift in the balance of the snow-verse.
Were you 50% blind, or fully blind?

Sounds like that mushroom pizza the night before was really good.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

A guy in our ski club boasts of just these sorts of exploits, but on skis - and believes them

• Haha
Reactions: jonathanc

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Are you sure you're not @telecrag

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
I got buzzed by a pair of boarders today on Ballroom. First time it’s been snowboarders, usually it’s skiers!

I had stopped on my toeside to the very side of the run to watch the descent of my friends as they were working on a new skill.

These two deviated right at me, and turned at the last minute to miss my board by millimetres. Yet there was an entire vacant run right there… I expect they were hoping I’d flinch. Guys, seriously, that’s nothing…try spending all day every day on Friday Flat LOL

I’m just not sure what the motivation of people is to buzz like that. One wobble or hitting a patch of ice and it ends with a ride in an akja for someone.
Were you parked in the nice snow on the side of the run? LOL I’m not going down the guts where everyone else does and scraps it bare ha ha.

Reactions: cornice12

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
It's the driver not the mode of transport.

Fk head of my season to date. Unbeknownst to me he'd taken out my 14y/o son about 100mtrs above me. He almost took me out at a very slick and crowded Walkabout at Merritts. Kids were getting their ski legs together, morning of day one, after a few years in the Covid wilderness.

He hit me but he came off second best, I managed to stay upright while he was splayed across the mountain. Never stopped and said sorry after picking himself up, nada, just took off. I see him at the lift line with a bunch of mates and I politely suggest that he might want to slow it down due to the slick conditions with lots of kids around and his lack of skill.

Instead of taking this onboard, 20 something Brazo fwit decides he wants to get tough. Of course this was once I was about to get on the lift and he didn't. Yells obscenities at me and finishes with, "don't comment if you don't know the mountain". Oh! the irony.

On the lift ride up my son says, "that's the guy that took me out dad. That's why you had to wait for me". Apparently he did a better job taking my young bloke out than he did me. I said to my young bloke why didn't you tell me that before we got on the lift. I was seeing red, so probably best he didn't.

I looked for the clown for a couple of days but couldn't find him again.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using