1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Asleep at the wheel!

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by ocker, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Other resorts are opening early but on every site I look at Falls Creek is reporting zero snow! Aren't Falls Creek interested in encouraging people to make bookings?

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

AIUI they are expecting to have mousetrap, wombats, main street and possibly drover open for QBW.

Snow reports don't start until QBW, rightly or wrongly. So it"s not that they are reporting zero, they are just not reporting.

XC skiers have been enjoying groomed tracks already and there's been a fair bit of snowplay too.
    FCRM and FCSL have both been spruiking on social media. The Ice Plunge got good media locally, complete with snow on the ground

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Falls will be open on the weekend. Their present cover isn't as good as Hotham that benefited more from the first dump of the season and though Wombat's already has natural cover, the front faces below Falls Express are quite grassy and rain would clean that up. Why advertise marginal snow? The cross-country skiers appreciated the groomed tracks up Mc Kay, but it was marginal at best by the weekend. All credit to Falls for not making promises it can't keep. They'll know by mid-week what it's likely to do by the weekend, and they've indicated on their website and social media when they'll start reporting.

When I think of Falls coverage I think of snow on the ground, not images of snow on Facebook or webcams... unlike some other players....

Ubiquitous Steve and currawong like this.
  4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As someone who's spent several Queens Birthdays at Falls, while I don't blame the Lift co. For not opening early, a little bit more official reporting would appreciated for the punters considering to head up more to ski than party. (Hotham too FWIW). Especially now it's 4 days out?

I'm assuming all official info is re-reported here).

kirktab likes this.
  5. currawong

The official reports are done by fcrm (ski patrol), not the lift co. Rightly or wrongly they don't start official reporting till opening of the season, as noted on the resort websites

6. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

7. snowgum

Hi Curra, surely to lure people up the hill An exception could be made?

Even just a few broad safe statements about cover. Likely opening lifts, SnwMkng etc...

Send a cpl scouts out once a morning then report to facebook.

How hard is that? Or am I missing something?

I reckon if we had a 2000' like dump reports would be balastic as it was then.

My 2 cents!!

8. currawong

actually they must have heard you. FC now reporting 10cm
    http://www.fallscreek.com.au/snowreport

As @Chareon said, they are cautious about overhyping marginal cover.

they are however talking it up on FB and Instagram. They are saying lifts will be announced tomorrow

snowgum and Chaeron like this.
  9. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

My point is that FCMC own website was actually saying zero. Not "Not yet reporting" but "0".
    People coming up for Queen's Birthday is the least of it. More important is
    • People who had tentatively decided not to book for this season, thinking should I change my mind and book if there is snow on the ground before Queen's Birthday, as most recent years there has not been snow until late June / early July.
    • People who had only booked a weekend so far, thinking should I see if I can get some days off and extend into the mid-week or make it a whole week.
    • People who have booked one weekend who may be encouraged to book a second.
    There are important psychological marketing issues at play here
    1. The reluctance of people to commit particularly to longer vacations these days. You need to give the skiers confidence to commit. Reporting zero destroys their confidence. It is not just the fact that there is 10 cm, the fact that you are interested enough to report it helps get people over the barrier to commit.
    2. Many on this forum would have had their skis tuned and waxed and gear organised by last month. But that is not the majority of the people who visit the resorts. For the majority of potential visitors there is a timeline between deciding they want to go skiing and being in the resort. If it dumped two metres of snow next Thursday would Falls Creek be full that weekend. Definitely not. For the majority of people there would be a two week lead time, because they are not prepared. By reporting zero cover when you have 10 cm helps the people procrastinate, not be prepared and ensures that when a dump comes it takes longer to reach full occupancy than necessary.

10. snowgum

Nice to know they're watching - with open & honest & timely reports folks can pack gear / prepare accordingly (cheers all).

Chaeron likes this.
  11. currawong

If it dumped a metre any time in may/early June very people would turn up at Falls or Hotham till school holidays. When we get good early snow the locals have the place to themselves.

Chaeron likes this.
  12. currawong

snow at QBW is not IME much of a predictor of snow a few weeks later. plenty of times there has been skiable snow at QBW that has been mostly, or completely, washed away in the next few weeks. And plenty of years where you couldn't ski on QBW but there was good snow a week or 2 later. June is very fickle

Chaeron likes this.
  13. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Do you follow Falls on social media?

snowgum likes this.
  14. currawong

Interestingly it's the resort rather the lift co doing the most about snow on social media at the moment.

15. Hully

Hully One of Us

The Lift Co has been putting heaps out on social media. Chris Hocking, liked him or loathe him, can't be accused of missing an opportunity. The first of those posts pics is a repost of a ski lifts (Fallsaustralia) pic, the second repost of a Cedarwood pic and the third a snapshot from a ski lifts cam.

currawong likes this.
  16. Hully

Hully One of Us

Personally I'm glad Falls and Hotham didn't get caught up in the opening first circus. Pretty much everyday that lifts run prior to the school holidays would be at a significant loss and it just puts pressure on operational spend/budgets deeper in the season.

17. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

18. Hully

Hully One of Us

Since the snow started falling on 28th May, Falls Creek Ski Lifts (@fallsaustralia) have been posting an average of about 4 snow photos a day on their Facebook feed.

19. currawong

You can tell how much attention i pay to such things. My remark was probably based on a tiny sample size

Hully likes this.
  20. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not yet, but I should I suppose, as I've recently got into social media big time - go on Facebook at least once a year. ;)

#20 Chaeron, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  21. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

thats so beautiful

22. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

That's one of the funniest things I've read on here!

kirktab, gaz35 and Chaeron like this.
  23. nick12

nick12 Addicted

I would say that FCSL are now asleep at the wheel. All other majors have announced what will be open on the weekend. Some people need more than 24hrs notice to plan a weekend at the snow.

24. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Social media is not a source I would go to as famous for factual information on any subject. I would expect the most accurate information of snow sports to be on the Falls Creek website, Snowatch, mountain watch and Ski.com. Why pay money to have your own website and then not bother to put accurate up to date information on it. No website is better than one which is not accurate and up to date.

25. Hamburglar

Hamburglar Hard Yards

Looks like only Towers will be running on the weekend which is a little disappointing.

26. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

"Cautious about overhyping marginal cover". ???? And you said that with a straight face !! :D

27. currawong

FCSL was hopeful of being able to get more open. Would you rather they had announced their hopes and then had to renege?

28. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

well there is plenty of "hype" on the local radio this morning. Towers, Mousetrap and Falls Express open

29. nick12

nick12 Addicted

No a simple. "Towers will be open and we are working hard to open more" would do.

30. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'm a little wary of whatever FCSL have to say. The track record is a little chequered!

currawong likes this.