Aspen introduce an uphill pass.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
This is a good idea and good to see support for local search and rescue.

The cost is extremely affordable and it removes the uncertainty around the can I or can't I, plus takes care of insurance issues. It would also mean that the resort now has to consider uphill travel, with regard to areas as they're now charging for a product.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I'm in two minds about this. Yes, it's charging people to not use lifts. But it's also a sensible way of managing an increasingly popular activity (on, as they state, "designated routes") so that everyone doesn't crash into each other. I am becoming unfashionably conciliatory and centrist in my old age in this polarised world.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yes, it's charging people to not use lifts.
But that ties in with the popular fallacy that the only thing that lift companies supply is uphill transport, whereas someone skinning in a resort is still taking advantage of services that are not insubstantial to provide.

Skinning around Buller during the lockdown when we spoke was a dream, I didn’t do a single kick turn cos I skinned up cat tracks and cleared runs, use a lot less energy. They didn’t just appear.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
How does an "up skier" get back down?
200.gif

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Thats a season pass BTW
Bargain for a season. I hope skinners have protection, markers and signs for the climb? In Aussie, there’s always a downhiller going out of their way to line you up. Even on the quietest day at Baw Baw.

Reactions: telecrag

sbm_

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 10, 2017
Being Colorado, the avalanche control is a big, big part of it. It's significantly more dangerous to skin outside of the resort.

Reactions: Zeroz and snowgum

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
I read it as $70 a day, so seemed pretty steep.
$70 for a season seems like a bargain.
Groomed runs, ski patrol support.
Pretty sure it is for the season. From the details section:
  • The same pass is required for both a single day and entire season.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Aspen was very tolerant of uphill travel when I was there about 8 years ago. They had designated routes and rules and stuff. For whatever reason (and I suspect their insurers) they have introduced a nominal fee. Nothing to see here.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Aspen was very tolerant of uphill travel when I was there about 8 years ago. They had designated routes and rules and stuff. For whatever reason (and I suspect their insurers) they have introduced a nominal fee. Nothing to see here.
Yes that is true, Aspen have been really supportive of uphill travel and a really strong Nordic scene as well. They host quite a few Skimo races as well like the Power of Four race and have been one of the lead resorts in supporting Skimo.

This is why I consider this move quite interesting from a resort management perspective. They've identified the potential, they've created a product which will cover them from an insurance perspective and they're part of one of the largest ski business amalgamators.

Australian resorts look more to the US for ideas and technology than Europe. Expect to see more resorts take this approach. At the end of the day it's not a bad thing for the skier. Ok it may have been free prior but you were always looking over your shoulder and for the price it's manageable. Plus you get to use the resort facilities when you need them.

Reactions: skifree

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Australian resorts look more to the US for ideas and technology than Europe. Expect to see more resorts take this approach. At the end of the day it's not a bad thing for the skier. Ok it may have been free prior but you were always looking over your shoulder and for the price it's manageable. Plus you get to use the resort facilities when you need them.
It would have to grow a lot before anyone would even think about it. More likely if they get increasing numbers they would just ban it. Pretty rare to see atm, though you do see the odd person. Ive only done it on wind hold days.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
As you get older, you start to think, what if I have a medical and cant reach my Bacon? Doing it in the resort feels safer for some I think.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
It's not so much about skinning in the resort, from my perspective, it's generally passage through.

But in resort is great from an exercise perspective. Why not if you're staying in resort. It's a great morning heart starter and you get to see the best part of the day, sunrise.

When we skin up Coronet, there's generally a good crew. Rarely are you on your own. I'm sure you will see that too soon in Australia. Although our BC access start points are a bit easier than in NZ. Resorts provide that start point in NZ.

Reactions: piolet

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
It's not so much about skinning in the resort, from my perspective, it's generally passage through.

But in resort is great from an exercise perspective. Why not if you're staying in resort. It's a great morning heart starter and you get to see the best part of the day, sunrise.

When we skin up Coronet, there's generally a good crew. Rarely are you on your own. I'm sure you will see that too soon in Australia. Although our BC access start points are a bit easier than in NZ. Resorts provide that start point in NZ.
Other countries sure, saftey and access can be an issue. Not so here.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Ski touring up Park City Mountain Resort's payday lift is a super popular activity; it's allowed from 5pm to 8am the next day; it's free and lots of people do it for excercise. It's a big KOTH challenge on strava and the youth (and adult) rando teams go for training.

I've done it a few times when I needed some excercise after working inside all day; better than a winter run in the dark on icy sidewalks.

You're certainly NOT doing it for the skiing; ungroomed (mostly), icy, survival skiing by headlamp (and avoiding people who didn't wear a headlamp and are just dark objects at night time #wearaheadlampchamp!

Resort sets restrictions; no skinning past the payday lift (angle station); staying to one side so that machinery can get through etc. It's one of the nice things that Vail actually does for the community (even though it's essentially a leftover from when Powdr ran things).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass