1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource ATK Newmark - NTN

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by skifree, Aug 9, 2019.

1. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

2. skifree

OK, this thing is the ATK Newmark (I have also called it the ATK Telemark in other threads) that referenced in the Telemark History and Meidjo threads.

I've had a few years now bit really only got on and really skied it last year. Mostly resort with a couple of days BC. It was purchased after a long search to find someone who would sell it. It was bought to A) find out about it and how it skied and B) for super lightweight touring rig.

It has been an interesting journey skiing it. Too some extent it skis very, very similar to my old (now moved onto I hope happy owners) Burnt Mountain Bulldog (B) and Spikes (S) without tail pieces. So lateral control is OK but not quite as good as the Meidjo or Lynx. There is obviously no resistance, something I have been used to from years of 75mm cables that are only wound enough to work as opposed to the once fashion of winding them up beyond their tensile strength and the same as the B and S. It takes me a couple of turns to get tuned into this change and a couple of runs to get really dialed in.

The binding is very unforgiving of any shortfall in stance and weight. Any shift out of the optimum envelope and it will bite. Most times I'm able to recover now and I get less nibbles from it as I dial in tighter and tighter to the binding.

The ski it is on makes a huge difference. The ski you see above is the Northernlight Moonlight Cardon. A very light ski and very stiff with a slight double camber along with a modern shape and rocker, a complex little beast. These again are very unforgiving and the combination has proved hard work to master. I'm there enough to be comfortable but is has taken fun time and fun work to get there.

On a simpler single camber ski the binding will be easier to master. It would go well on a Madschus Annum, but fill the pattern with wax to start with.

It's not for everyone but I do love it and when I get it right it makes telemark that much better fun.

I'll try and find the weight picture of this.

#2 skifree, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    PK Sawd and Telemark Phat like this.
  3. skifree

Ta daaa.

Majikthise likes this.
  4. Dropknee diehard

Dropknee diehard Early Days

Really like the concept of this.
    I have always wondered why a telemark adaption of the old spademan bindings has never been tried. This looks the closest.

I really enjoy the telly bulldog too .... so you think this skis close to that?
    Also how is the wear on the boots?

I have a pair of the original TXs prototypes before the orange/silver bellow model.
    Love them as a lightweight set up but they have no inserts so cant use tech bindings....and rottefella/22 non tech ntn too heavy for the set up I want them for... looks like these good be the go.... but rare as the proverbial I am guessing.... keep up the reports ..... good work

5. Dropknee diehard

Dropknee diehard Early Days

Oops just had a closer look they are tech too

skifree likes this.
  6. skifree

Better than bulldogs, thought I’d said that above, no matter. But technique wise very very similar.

No boot issues but they have maybe 6 EFSDs on them only.

Dropknee diehard likes this.