Attack in Jindy - shocking!

JG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 26, 2000
Sydney
Wow I was shocked to read this happened in Jindy.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...tal-with-facial-injuries-20180706-p4zpu9.html

Two people are in hospital with facial injuries after being assaulted in Jindabyne in the early hours of Thursday morning.

NSW Police said a 22-year-old woman and a 25-year-old man were walking along Kosciuszko Road about 1.30am, when they were approached by "unknown men".

The men allegedly assaulted the pair, then fled.

The injured duo were treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics for facial injuries, before the woman was taken to Canberra Hospital and the man to Cooma Hospital, both in stable conditions.

NSW Police are investigating and have appealed to the public for help tracking the men down.

Police said one of the men they wanted to speak to was described as Caucasian and about 180cm tall.

The man was wearing a white jumper and white beanie at the time of the alleged assault.

Anyone with information was urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the 1800 333 000.

Reactions: Poppies

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
sounds like Jindy is nolonger a safe place. is it a gang? men can be such cowards when they are in groups or think they are in a superior or stronger position.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Jindy is as safe as anywhere. Winter has always had random assaults but this one is particularly vicious. Jindy has a rather large contingent of young people walking home from bars late and is not particularly well lit. It also has a large contingent of casual workers living hand to mouth and the associated issue that arise from a seasonal underclass.

@Gimp

What is the twins from Bondi comment ?

JM72

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 29, 2018
cowards, hopefully they will be found
dashcam , cctv, accomodation details , atm transactions etc, unused lift pass , probably left earlier than planned , they will get caught !

Mick_Molloy_Au

Early Days
Feb 10, 2018
I don't know about ID scanners in NSW, but there has been an increase in identification of offenders in QLD. For example, if they visited a bar and got their ID scanned upon entry, there is a name, and then by reviewing the CCTV of them entering, you match the clothing to the person. Boom, (no pun intended) you have your offender, provided they didn't swap clothes with a random person for whatever reason. A group of 2,3,4 guys shouldn't be too hard to pick out of a entry foyer CCTV. I would 100% support any pub/club that has scanners, in fact they should be mandatory in places like Jindy during the ski season.

Reactions: Poppies and nfip

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
dashcam , cctv, accomodation details , atm transactions etc, unused lift pass , probably left earlier than planned , they will get caught !
Nice in fiction, much more difficult in the real world.

Any real id will most likely be someone who knows someone who knows someone.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Attacks of any kind are not good for the victims. I don't give a shit about any possible motive or backstory or whether it is better for the community.

you misunderstand my meaning (I should have been clearer)

If someone is attacked as a payback or similar then fingers crossed its a one-off. If its some psycho random attack, then nobody in the community is safe

Reactions: Lifes2good

RobDawg66

Hard Yards
May 9, 2016
Hope they catch these cowards, hope they go to jail, hope they get dealt with in jail , , some swearing in this uncut version .

Lifes2good

One of Us
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
you misunderstand my meaning (I should have been clearer)

If someone is attacked as a payback or similar then fingers crossed its a one-off. If its some psycho random attack, then nobody in the community is safe
That is a reassuring thought but actually we are statistically more likely to be attacked by someone we know than by a random stranger. Particularly if you are female. I’d feel much safer if people just stopped acting on violent urges.

Cat_Herder

Hard Yards
Jan 12, 2015
I don't know about ID scanners in NSW, but there has been an increase in identification of offenders in QLD. For example, if they visited a bar and got their ID scanned upon entry, there is a name, and then by reviewing the CCTV of them entering, you match the clothing to the person. Boom, (no pun intended) you have your offender, provided they didn't swap clothes with a random person for whatever reason. A group of 2,3,4 guys shouldn't be too hard to pick out of a entry foyer CCTV. I would 100% support any pub/club that has scanners, in fact they should be mandatory in places like Jindy during the ski season.
Banj has scanners

Poppies

Hard Yards
Jan 13, 2018
Australia
I've always felt the bars are allowed to trade way too late but the alcohol industry is a behemoth, many pubs are owned by private equity or holding companies far out of town and only the bottom line matters.

Reactions: mauricem

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
This has been going on for years . Ive had mates get coward punched, eye gouged... I've seen some crazy stuff around the 2000's The town was loose.
Back in the old days they used to hush it up.
Nowadays.. .Social media etc.

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
I pick up hitch hikers as often as I can. People picked me up when I was one, standing in the cold, looking for a lift.

They really need a formalized hitch hike pickup spot adjacent SMGS.
I used to hitch-hike a bit too, until a not so enjoyable experience made me realise not everyone who stopped can be trusted.
That was the last time I hitched and as a driver I have become a coward.
On my snow trips I have only ever picked up 1 person - a bloke heading down from the main range pulling a sled loaded with camping gear. Drove him from Perisher to Sawpit Creek.

Otherwise I an just too wary.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
My mates older brother (big big man.....6'8' gorilla) used to throw many coward punchers out (literally) onto the street (they flew over the sidewalk onto the street every weekend) on his night job at Banjo Pattersons after working / building skitube. Was wild mid to late 80s.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
My mates older brother (big big man.....6'8' gorilla) used to throw coward punchers out (literally) onto the street (they flew over the sidewalk onto the street) on his night job at Banjo Pattersons after working / building skitube. Was wild.
*Aspen back then.

Reactions: Zimbooo

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
I never felt safer spending time at my mates brothers house (Big Steve's in Munyang st). :eek: Case of beer provided accom with personal protection at night club. LOL We used to watch them fly every weekend!!!
Edit: You had to be bad to get thrown out by Steve, but if you did........man you were'nt going to harm anyone else after.

Last edited:

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Wasn't the balcony till 97?
No, AJ sold it in early 99 and moved back to South Australia (I think that's where they went). If I remember rightly it was taken over by a brother/sister combo who gave it a reno/new name and ran it into the ground. (I should have said just 98 in my earlier post).

I started working there early 98 - the weekend of the fire near the park entrance. Finished up when AJ sold.

Poppies

Hard Yards
Jan 13, 2018
Australia
Somehow it developed differently to Bright, I think more mountain staff live in town but in Victoria more stay on the hill. Also Bright is further from the resorts, doesn't have lots of late trading beer barn type bars. There has been considerable development of svcommoaccomm in Victorian resorts as they are structurally not in national parks.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Somehow it developed differently to Bright, I think more mountain staff live in town but in Victoria more stay on the hill. Also Bright is further from the resorts, doesn't have lots of late trading beer barn type bars. There has been considerable development of svcommoaccomm in Victorian resorts as they are structurally not in national parks.
Bright is also much prettier!

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
Mad fun hectic but not violent until it changed hands and went a bit "footy thug", about 89.

Epic place in the early days, raw and free.
Brendan's Bar and Bistro. Home of the 'Outrageous Rump'. A full 1000g if you were prepared to take it on. No prize for doing so other than bragging rights with your mates. You ate dinner and then hit the disco dance floor all at the one spot. Lots of fun.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Hardly surprising at all to read this article. This sort of thing happens at least a few times each season. When you have thousands of winter staff that come in from all over the world every season, there are bound to be a few bad eggs.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Well we posted on Backcountry.....but it seems it was a non issue to that lot....so we observe that Jindy seems to have a reputation....some unsavoury characters up that way.....

Team Bears say stop "horsing around "up there and bring the culprits to justice!
It's becoming a town of lawless activity!
Wheels and car parts being stolen at DHG right under the noses of Backcountry users!

No wonder the cops are "cracking" down with roadside drug testing and booze buses.
Raping and pillaging cannot be tolerated .....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass