Observations August 9th-15th

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
2cm at Buller isn't much but hopefully there is some snow this evening. Liking the chances of Federation and Southside opening on the weekend.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

IAB

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
The Shire, Sydney
The old fizz chestnut.
This had prefrontal then clip written all over it from a week out.
Went as expected imo-perhaps 5cm less than expected. 5-10 seemed par by me.

Perisher scored over 20mm of rain followed by 3cm of snow. If that's not a fizzer I don't know what is.

Seven days out was looking a lot more promising, some were calling for 40cm (yes, after some pre-frontal). Even the 4 day chart was showing a lot more than what we got.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Perisher scored over 20mm of rain followed by 3cm of snow. If that's not a fizzer I don't know what is.

Seven days out was looking a lot more promising, some were calling for 40cm (yes, after some pre-frontal). Even the 4 day chart was showing a lot more than what we got.
The system really faded in the last few days. Sometimes happens.

Reactions: IAB

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
i agree with claude this an observation thread about current weather....plenty of other threads to have a say.
This.
Save the gloom and doom whinging for somewhere else.
Falls got a real 10cm over night and cams showing a nice fresh white cover.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Falls had 10cm overnight, been snowing steadily all morning at least another 10cm in it, good powder all today.
you'll have to pardon my skepticism here but there's been no change in the cedarwood cam that I can see. You sure it's not just snow blowing off the higher exposed areas into the leeward slopes?

pykie

Hard Yards
Jun 14, 2013
you'll have to pardon my skepticism here but there's been no change in the cedarwood cam that I can see. You sure it's not just snow blowing off the higher exposed areas into the leeward slopes?

Been 100% snowing steadily all day mate, I'm sitting in my lodge in the village atm big sized flakes, there was very little wind all morning just steady flakes. Will post a pic of the roof in a minute which was bare yesterday

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Been 100% snowing steadily all day mate, I'm sitting in my lodge in the village atm big sized flakes, there was very little wind all morning just steady flakes. Will post a pic of the roof in a minute which was bare yesterday
great to hear! look forward to them pics! :thumbs:

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Gully chair cam tells me that this is very possible.

Can definitely see snow falling on the cam at the moment.

Reactions: Nowada

pykie

Hard Yards
Jun 14, 2013
image.json

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
Very windy day at Thredbo today. All chairs stayed open though.

Was quite warm (despite the wind chill) and generally a blue bird day for most of it.

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
I observe that my caravan annexe was flattened by the wind from this front in jindy . Must have been a big blow . The old girl has survived many other fronts . All bluster and no substance it seems

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013
there was a good RN program on 'Sprinter' the other day, and how in last few decades in our part of the world spring is 3 days / decade earlier IIRC
was that on before or after the program that said the world is cooling because the sun has developed spots all over it?

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
Rain band just crossing Mt Gambier
Is this expected to make it to the mountains tonight and snow ? If so how much ?

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
image.jpeg
I observed 20C water and around the same air temperature at Palm Beach around lunchtime. Also two guys surfing happily wetsuit-less, even though most of us were wearing steamers - more from winter habit than any necessity at present. I also observed a bumper crop of clover and bindis in the grass next to the car park, with the bindis just about ready to get to the ouchy stage!

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Lots of icy patches at perisher. Either needs 20cm or some warmer weather.

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Got to Thredbo this arvo. Drove up to Dead Horse Gap about 2pm and did a quick backcountry ski up to South Ramshead.

Cover is ok, not great but adequate. Skiing to/from the car without issues.

Snow surface is a cm or so of dust on crust. Actually skied quite nicely on windblown areas, until you hit the bare icy patches. First three turns were good and the fourth one is SKRRRRRRCHHH.

One flurry on the way back down. Some cloud but doesn't look socked in at all in Thredbo this evening.

Dirkelle

Hard Yards
Aug 24, 2015
Sydney
Another cold and windy day here in Perisher. Wind eased this afternoon and temperature was nice and cold with negative temps all afternoon - just need some moisture our way :(
The ice pack(a lot of ice!) is hanging in there at least with these cooler temps we have had the past few days.
Good dry windblown stashes around if you know where to look;) just need to learn how to ice skate to get there

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass