1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

ausi ski bum in FC this weekend

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by ausi ski bum, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I was one of the first people on this forum, I became known for my love of Falls Creek and for 16 years I ran the ASB Alpine unofficial Falls Creek web site. At its peak I had over 200,000 people visit each year. Then I just got to busy as a CEO of a disability service to commit the time to it.

I owned 3 apartments in FC, never regretted that but sold them off when my kids moved on to their own lives and since I have spent a lot less time skiing in Australia preferring Japan and Canada.
    But Falls Creek is special, its a place that is good for my soul, I never leave without feeling recharged and ready to take on the world.

I head back this weekend, OK I am staying off mountain but I look forward to reconnecting with a place that is a part of who I am. If you know me, say hi, if not, I just might get to see you on a lift some where or in Mt Beauty Saturday night.

Lets have a great skiing weekend.

ASB

2. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Its still flat.

Seth likes this.
  3. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Brilliant post Hunter. Miss the passion of the old days. We never did catch up for a drink.

4. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Oh well that did not turn out so good had a brilliant day Saturday till about 3pm when I fell in the chopped up section at the bottom of Wishing Well (should have been closed actually was very dangerous) and ripped the calf muscle. Stayed over night in MB with that faint hope I didn't do much damage but can hardly walk so out for the rest of this season

Kinda sad really I bought a 6 day anytime pass for $500 and only got to use it for two days as I was over seas most of August.

Have fun out there everyone and take care.

ladycamper likes this.
  5. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Sorry to hear ASB. Hope the recovery is swift.

6. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Considering how many years and days I have skied I have faired very well over the years, cant complain but must check the setting on my bindings they let go if I crash at speed but not if I am going slow as I was this time.

7. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Sorry you got hurt ASB. :(
    Here's hoping for a quick recovery. :thumbs:

8. SuskiQ

SuskiQ Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Damn. We were there on Saturday but only just saw this thread. Departing MB early tomorrow. Hope the calf heals quickly.

9. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

ASB, I tore calf muscle in NZ some years ago (at Ohau). Found it was awkward to walk but could still ski downhill ok (not too fast or too steep) but still had some great days at Cardrona. Flew home and was diagnosed with DVT. Further complications. Hope yours heals up quickly, but do take advice from physio.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I'm told that that the force needed to keep the skis attached is greater than the force needed to do damage. ACL damage is common enough with downhill bindings.
    I've injured the left knee with releasable XC bindings, at slow speed.

11. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Still sore but I am sure I have more movement tonight than this morning, that's a good sign.

12. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We went through The Maze on Sunday and the bottom section (Last Tango) was terrible. I took a chuck out of my topsheet of my board trying to manoeuvre my way down a half a Metre wide bit of snow. Skiers took their skis off to walk over the grass.
    Hope you have a speedy recovery ASB

13. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Completely agree with you ASB on Falls and being good for the soul, it really is. Have been skiing, living and working there since 1969 and regard it as one of the great locations. On a good day it is hard to beat. That said, I'm with you on NorthAm and Japan (and Europe). Simply better value. It could be different but the Australian ski hills (downhill) just do not have their act together in the way required to make them commercially sustainable. I do not think that will change, mores the pity. Still, the occasional burst here and there or a long XC tour suffices for exposure in Oz. Hope the calf heals up OK.

14. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Hard Yards

Hope you recover well ASB!
    I fell on a gentle cruise down Wombat's Ramble last July and tore my calf muscle. A Grade 2 tear.
    It was after lunch. My physio says it was likely a combination of age (grr) and tired muscles. Could hardly walk for 3 or 4 days and it was 3 weeks before I was walking without pain and a limp. Followed my physio regime religiously and was back skiing after 6 or 7 weeks. I still do maintenance exercises on it but it has remained weaker than the other calf.
    Sorry the photo is so big folks - my first attempt lol.

[​IMG]

15. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

You might be right Tink had been skiing for many hours and I am about your age as well, maybe the things I could do a few years back are not so easy today. I have no regrets I ski, its a sport that can cause injury, I had a great day in my happy place.

Just wish I could use the other 4 days on my 6 day any time pass.

Maybe FC can be nice and let me use then next season :)

16. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hate to say but doubt it. I tore my MCL and dislocated my knee cap 5 1/2 days into a Hero Pass in August. It was tough luck unfortunately :(

17. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yeah, if you don't take the insurance that they clearly promote....it's bad luck. And I don't mean that nasty to either party.

Sadie likes this.