Australian couple looking to work European ski season 18/19, help required.

Discussion in 'Passport' started by lukej1994, May 17, 2018.

1. lukej1994

lukej1994 First Runs

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are Australian citizens (UK residents, WHV) and are looking to work a ski season somewhere in Europe. We will happily to any kind of work provided it allows us plenty of time on the slopes. Most recruitment companies seem to require a UK/EU passport so it is proving hard to find work considering we are only on UK WHV's.

Does anyone have any advice, experience or contacts that could help us out?

Thanks in advance!

2. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Ski Pass - Gold

Do you two still want to be an item by the end of the season? I take it you've read about how to be a chalet bitch?

http://belledeneige.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/chalet-bitch.html

malas1 likes this.
  3. lukej1994

lukej1994 First Runs

4. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

It actually was...in a roundabout way.
    Many uk chalet companies (there are lots) readily employ those on uk visas. You are paid into a uk bank account.

Otherwise, if you are under 30 you can apply for a WHV to your destination of choice (assuming whv elegibility)

cold wombat likes this.
  5. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Save like mad now and ski all day all season is how I would do it.

The Plowking likes this.
  6. The Plowking

Ski Pass - Gold

Personally, many moons ago when WHVs were not available for Australians in most (mountainous) European countries i just winged it in my van and ended up with a cash job cleaning a high end chalet in france. Was only booked half the season and i got all sorts of goodies at guest changeover. And tips. Lucked it big time.

7. cin

cin Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

unless you have certain unique skills in a field that are utilized mainly outside of ski time (chef, waiter, bar staff, etc) , your likely to find the work involves being undertaken when you most want that ski time.
    making that work for both of you, at the same time, so you can ski together and experience it together, is a whole nutha task in itself.
    Looking for unskilled labour in the Euro ski fields is likely to land you a job where most of your low paid work hours are spent when the ski fields are in use - lifty, snow shoveller, hospitality on the ski feilds, etc
    And if you don't have a language behind you finding a job generally is going to be hard, especially one that is even slightly bearable. You are essentially competing with extremely cheap labour from the Eastern Bloc, which there is plenty of and they are probably going to be willing to do alot more than you for each dollar earnt

cold wombat likes this.
  8. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Ski Pass - Gold

You might not appreciate it now, but dig past the style and there is a lot to learn there.

The Plowking likes this.
  9. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us

This. Just rock up and wing it.
    Like the OP, I had similar issues with all the UK based companies wanting a National Insurance no. Going to hazard a guess the OP will have one of these (I didn't).

10. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Your chances of work are higher in Austria or France. Switzerland is near impossible, or it was a while back. For Aussies, work in Europe, excluding UK, can be difficult to find.

11. The Plowking

Ski Pass - Gold

Why not just apply for an whv for France, Austria or Italy ?
    Rock up to large resort. Hopefully make it work.

12. lukej1994

lukej1994 First Runs

Cheers for the responses to the thread! We have a couple of interviews lined up with some UK companies.

Does anyone have any experience on what we have to do visa wise? Like mentioned we have UK WHV but does this entitle us to stay in France for 4/5 months? If somebody has experience doing the same thing please let me know.

13. The Plowking

Ski Pass - Gold

Aslong as your whv for the UK remains valid you should be fine.
    Perhaps a visit to Switzerland midseason for a stamp although in my dated EU experience I didn't bother.

And just enter France/EU on a tourist visa.

14. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sounds like you're committed to Europe, but what the hey. Canada is essentially at full employment now, and BC has the lowest unemployment rate in the country at 4%. Worker shortages in pretty much every sector. The first industries to feel the pinch are seasonal ones like the snow resorts, because most workers understandably prefer year-round work. It's been gospel for years that the western Canada ski industry couldn't survive without the small army of Aussies with WHV papers, but it's especially true at the moment. This October's hiring fairs are going to be pretty competitive as the resorts all try to sign up workers for the coming season, because it's very likely there won't be enough to go around.

The Plowking likes this.
  15. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

My Aussie mate did 5 seasons in france just rocked up on tourist via went to a French ski resort with relatively large numbers of English holiday makers (there loads of options) and just did the rounds until he found work. Much easier for someone to pay you cash in resort that bus or flight out a replacement from UK when their 18yr old gets fired for being drunk and missing breakfast service 3 times. But you should be fine using your UK WHV

The Plowking likes this.