1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Australian doing winter european season

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Rach_E, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Rach_E

Rach_E First Runs

Apologies if this question has been asked, but I couldn't find what I was after.

I'm on an Australian passport and was wondering how difficult it would be to do a winter season in France or Austria. I have many British and European friends who do it, but I know being an Australian poses some disadvantages in being able to find work. Is it possible to turn up to town and find a job with my Aussie passport? (Should also mention I have zero ski/snow experience).

If you know of any other cities (not exclusive to Europe) that would be a good option please include them!

Thanks in advance.

2. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm confused. You say you have zero ski/snow experience and yet you want to do a full winter season? I would have thought you would have wanted a try a few weeks somewhere not working to get an idea if you would like it, make some contacts over there for later if you do.

3. TJswish

TJswish Hard Yards

To answer your question, France, Italy and Germany are options for Australians with a working holiday visa. Austria you need to be in the EU and Switzerland is super hard so probably not worth the effort.

I am currently working in La Plagne - France but I have a UK passport. If you just want to come and be around ski people and party in an amazing location, apply for one of the chalet companies. If you want to actually get out and ski / snowboard, apply for a night job (I work at a pub and airport transfers) and have been out 6/8 days we have been open so far.

Rach_E and Ozgirl like this.
  4. Rach_E

Rach_E First Runs

Thats a very good point! I have put my faith in my friends who all love it, but I do see where you're coming from.

5. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

In winter most of the work is around alpine areas.
    But for english speaking people, France is a good start as most of the inbound tourism is from the U.K , wheras Austria has a higher proportion from Germany.
    A good start would be to try and get a work permit for 12 months and then just head to somewhere like Bourg saint Maurice, use that as a base and then look for work in all the nearby resorts.
    Used to be lots of work for Au Pair's and these were generally live in positions with only one day a week off.