Observations Australian Personal Weather Station Links

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
David from Oz Forecast and myself installed the 'Bungendore Village' PWS yesterday. I will not reveal the exact location on a public forum as I don't want to attract opportunistic vandalism (the odds of such people being on here is remote, but nonetheless...) I will say that it is located in an open paddock on the fringes of town, in an ideal location for cold minima.

We christened it yesterday with a maximum above 35C and this morning, it recorded the coldest temperature on the Southern Tablelands.

Link to observations:

https://ozforecast.com.au/cgi-bin/weatherstation.cgi?station=11840

Last edited by a moderator:

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Post the link to your PWS with the description of roughly where its located and I will update this post, retrospectively curating the current list accordingly.
Providing GPS coordinates helps provide the observer with and expectation of topographical influences.

Any info on PWS brand, type, capabilities or limitations is also recommended.

NSW:
Bellingen, NSW (Davis Vantage Pro 2), observer notes HERE.
Bungendore Village, NSW (Davis Vantage Pro 2), observer notes HERE.
Jindabyne, NSW (Davis Vantage Pro 2), located 4.3km SE of Jindabyne township.

VIC:
Mount Buller VIC (Ecowitt WH32 sensor + GW1000 gateway), observer notes HERE.
Emerald, VIC (Holman Aspect), observer notes HERE.
Avonsleigh, Vic (La Crosse v40pro), observer notes HERE.

QLD:
Camp Hill, QLD (Ambient Weather WS-900-IP), observer notes HERE.

Last edited:

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Post your link to your PWS with the description of roughly where located.
Providing GPS coordinates helps provide the observer with and expectation of topographical influences.

Any info on PWS brand, type, capabilities or limitations is also desired.

Are you looking to upgrade your equipment by seeing exactly what and where other stuff is? ;) LOL

Reactions: Flowin

Bello Weather

One of Us
Jul 12, 2019
Have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 located in central Bellingen, NSW. It overlooks the Bellinger rivers and uploads every 15 seconds or so to http://www.bellingenweather.org. Running Cumulus weather software, and have just added a Davis Air Monitor. The only peak on that one so far was someone smoking nearby!
Currently upgrading the website, hope to be able to run the entire site on Wordpress rather than just the blog...will post updates on here. In the meantime look forward to checking other sites out :)

DarrylS

Hard Yards
Jul 6, 2019
Camp Hill, QLD
www.wunderground.com
Here are the details for my basic but generally accurate PWS:

Link: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IQUEENSL152
Device: Ambient Weather WS-900-IP

The thermometer provides very good measurements (I've placed it inside a homemade Stevenson Screen with great ventilation), though the rain gauge occasionally provides reduced measurements due to some high trees in a neighbour's property.

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
On that note, @Billy Bob what sort of unit is it?

Davis Vantage Pro 2. Mounted the standard 2 m above ground in an open grassy paddock. Well away from any manmade objects. Wind is not 10 m though so you can roughly double the average wind speed shown. The site is very comparable with other open sites in the area such as Braidwood Racecourse and Goulburn/Canberra AP.

There may be other PWS installations to come in the future. David wants one at Yass; the BOM unfortunately got rid of its manual site there. I would really like one at the top of Mount Budawang (over 1100 m ASL and close to the coast)- conditions there would be quite unique. It's almost always enveloped in low cloud/fog whenever there's a decent southerly change.

Thanks for starting this topic; it's worthwhile to keep it separate from the main discussion.

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 located in central Bellingen, NSW. It overlooks the Bellinger rivers and uploads every 15 seconds or so to http://www.bellingenweather.org. Running Cumulus weather software, and have just added a Davis Air Monitor. The only peak on that one so far was someone smoking nearby!
Currently upgrading the website, hope to be able to run the entire site on Wordpress rather than just the blog...will post updates on here. In the meantime look forward to checking other sites out :)

Have you ever experienced flooding at your PWS site? I know Bellingen is very prone to flooding. I may have to rescue the Bungendore PWS as it sits on a flood plain...good for capturing very cold winter minimums though.

Reactions: Flowin and Homer

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
I still ain’t sure if this thread is about PWS setups or PWS weather links,
If is about PWS weather links I fully appreciate the value of PWS data in areas where there are gaps in the official gauges network. For that context I am surprised there is not more discussion about weather underground weather data as I find that invaluable.
If the thread topic is about PWS setups, my dinosaur knowledge is out of date with modern opportunities and the errors those opportunities may pose. I have tried digital setups with real time user configured data recording and have distinct sense of caution.
My backup plan with analogue systems is a manual rain gauge, antique wet and dry thermometer (multiples), antique barometer (multiples), hygrometer (multiples with significant variations) and I still don’t have a good sense of accuracy and precision. My wind guide, a string of prayer flags is also crude, but I also like viewing my wind turbine movement as a guide for near surface winds.
So I continue to take a view of caution about accuracy of observations even with my naivety about modern technology, but modern technology can also be deceiving.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I still ain’t sure if this thread is about PWS setups or PWS weather links,
If is about PWS weather links I fully appreciate the value of PWS data in areas where there are gaps in the official gauges network. For that context I am surprised there is not more discussion about weather underground weather data as I find that invaluable.
If the thread topic is about PWS setups, my dinosaur knowledge is out of date with modern opportunities and the errors those opportunities may pose. I have tried digital setups with real time user configured data recording and have distinct sense of caution.
My backup plan with analogue systems is a manual rain gauge, antique wet and dry thermometer (multiples), antique barometer (multiples), hygrometer (multiples with significant variations) and I still don’t have a good sense of accuracy and precision. My wind guide, a string of prayer flags is also crude, but I also like viewing my wind turbine movement as a guide for near surface winds.
So I continue to take a view of caution about accuracy of observations even with my naivety about modern technology, but modern technology can also be deceiving.
It's about posting a link to 'your' personal weather station. Whilst I agree with your sentiment on the usefulness of the WU network data, not all are registered with global networks such as WU.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
It's about posting a link to 'your' personal weather station. Whilst I agree with your sentiment on the usefulness of the WU network data, not all are registered with global networks such as WU.
Ok. I would not be surprised if there is a diversity of registering data in a global context and would suggest that consolidating such data would be worthwhile.

Reactions: POW Hungry

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I’ve got a very simple Ecowitt outdoor temp/humidity meter at Mt Buller 1610m ASL: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IMOUNT293

Sensor: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/52
Gateway: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/16

I actually just wanted to monitor indoor temps but it was such an incremental cost for the outdoor sensor I thought why not. Sensor gets a little bit of heat radiation from the building at low temps, seems pretty spot on when the temps are above about 18C which isn’t great for Winter. It’s about 100m lower and lot less exposed than the Buller BOM AWS and as such about 1C warmer (adiabatic lapse rate discussion notwithstanding)

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
I am using a Davis Vantage Pro2 at Ferny Grove in NW Brisbane, QLD. I have the temperature, humidity and rainfall over grass 1.5 m AGL and wind and solar radiation separately at roof height (as high I can practically get it). My location is a bit sheltered on the side of a hill but with good exposure to the north and west.

This data is shown on my website at https://fernygroveweather.com. The website is based on a bootstrap mobile responsive template and the current conditions are refreshed in real-time every 10 seconds. Data is also uploaded to a MySQL database for the graphing, other data in the website and for me to explore the data.

My PWS is being used with Cumulus MX software that I am using on a Raspberry Pi computer in conjunction with a Davis Weatherlink Live device.

I have also recently added a Davis air quality sensor and a solar radiation sensor. Air quality is very good here with just the occasional spike.

I also manually collect some other manual data such as ground minimum temperature and daily rainfall, which I don't publish on my website presently, though they do end up in monthly weather summaries that I publish on the website. However a future project is to expand my system and database in order to make that data available on the website.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Gave +1 a Holman Aspect ex Bunnings weather station for her birthday. We’ve recently moved to between Cockatoo and Emerald in the Dandenong Ranges in Vic onto a 3/4 acre block and with more of a garden to work with it’s good to know our local weather.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IMELBO2270
Thanks, updated OP.
WU link says 326ft/99m ele but looks like it should be metres?

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Unfortunately the vast majority of PWS's on Wunderground are rubbish for one reason or another, mainly poor exposure. The best thing you can do- if you don't have a spare paddock- is to mount the station on the roof, as far away from radiant heat sources as possible. It will miss some extreme maxima and especially minima but will generally provide better data.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Unfortunately the vast majority of PWS's on Wunderground are rubbish for one reason or another, mainly poor exposure. The best thing you can do- if you don't have a spare paddock- is to mount the station on the roof, as far away from radiant heat sources as possible. It will miss some extreme maxima and especially minima but will generally provide better data.
So we’re on a three quarter acre on a steepish slope - station currently on the roof mounted on the tv antenna - reasonably well-exposed but still lots of tallish trees immediately around which would impact wind and rain metrics, and of course the building would impact ambient temperature measurements.

However, we’ve got a large open space and could conceivably mount it there right in the middle where it would be more exposed - much fewer trees and buildings around.

So what do you reckon - easy enough to move.... should we?

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
So we’re on a three quarter acre on a steepish slope - station currently on the roof mounted on the tv antenna - reasonably well-exposed but still lots of tallish trees immediately around which would impact wind and rain metrics, and of course the building would impact ambient temperature measurements.

However, we’ve got a large open space and could conceivably mount it there right in the middle where it would be more exposed - much fewer trees and buildings around.

So what do you reckon - easy enough to move.... should we?
It’s definitely a challenge up here with all the trees. How high above the roof is your pws?
Ours is about 5ft above the roof. I am still experimenting too.

Reactions: Chaeron

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Link to mine.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IMELBO2347
Bought for Christmas and hadn’t had time to get it up and running.
Old one wasn’t wifi enabled but was working fine until one of the cups got broken off two weeks ago by a flying stick in the high winds. So finally bit the bullet and spent a couple of days installing.
La Crosse v40pro. Wanted the Davis Vantage but was reminded by my, often more sensible, hubby that I needed new skis. :rolleyes:
Still playing around with the location of the temperature sensor.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Link to mine.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IMELBO2347
Bought for Christmas and hadn’t had time to get it up and running.
Old one wasn’t wifi enabled but was working fine until one of the cups got broken off two weeks ago by a flying stick in the high winds. So finally bit the bullet and spent a couple of days installing.
La Crosse v40pro. Wanted the Davis Vantage but was reminded by my, often more sensible, hubby that I needed new skis. :rolleyes:
Still playing around with the location of the temperature sensor.
I am not sure he is more sensible - can't ski if you can't observationally seek winter.
Thanks for that, I've update OG post.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
The Dandenongs have fairly steady temperatures due to elevation, tree cover and frequent cloudiness. Siting an AWS on the roof would give fairly good data, though of course an open paddock where available is the best option. You can always A/B with Ferny Creek to get an idea if your readings are good. Bungendore is the opposite: a fairly dry climate with grassland vegetation and lots of sunshine, therefore brief min/max spikes are common. There aren't any official BOM AWS's nearby either. We do have the Kowen Forest portable station but some of those portable stations are a little sus as well, especially ACTPCS2 which is consistently 1C or more warmer than Canberra Airport despite a similar elevation.

Placement is more critical here; thankfully I was able to cajole someone that does have a spare paddock!

Reactions: Snowy Joey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass