Australian snowboarder dies in avalanche in Austria

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Australian woman killed in avalanche in Austria, man no longer in critical condition
Updated 48 minutes ago

A 27-year-old Australian woman has died in an avalanche in Austria.

State police have confirmed that a group of four Australians were off-piste (backcountry) snowboarding, in the district of Landeck in Tyrol when they were hit by a 150 metre-wide avalanche.

All four were dragged a distance of 400-500 metres by the snow, partly over rocky ground.

They were not buried by the snow, but dragged along the surface.

Tyrol Police said two helicopters were involved in the rescue operation.

The 27-year-old woman was fatally injured. The Department of Foreign Affairs is providing consular assistance to the woman's family.

A 30-year-old Australian man was airlifted in a critical condition to hospital in Innsbruck, where he was operated on.

Police said the man later gained consciousness and that while his recovery could take weeks or months, his condition was no longer considered critical.

The other two Australians, one man and one woman in their late 20s, were uninjured.

The uninjured man is understood to have returned to the UK where he lives.

Poor weather and the danger of further avalanches mean investigations at the site of the accident have had to be postponed.

Twenty-one people have died in avalanches in Austria so far during this year's ski season.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Yeah there was a flurry of accidents 3-4 weeks ago that brought the count up to the season average :(
Lots of instability and big temp changes.
A fair bit of fresh here yesterday and a windy night up high, lots of success from the blasting heard this morning.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Question to raise - should they have even been out there? Were conditions not so good for a venture out?

Know someone there right now. I'll paraphrase his FB update letting everyone know it wasn't him/his group.

"i'm not surprised this happened, 85kmh winds with 50cm of new snow"

This guy knows the area very well and is very experienced in BC riding.

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
I was one of the first on the scene after the avalanche occurred. I tended to a badly injured male snowboarder with bad lower back and shoulder trauma. He wad transferred by helicopter to hospital in Innsbruck. The 3 others in my group attended the girl ( who died ) and gave her CPR and resuscitation until emergency services arrived. She suffered massive head and neck trauma and had no chance of survival.

I have some, but not a lot, of avalanche rescue training and I can honestly say nothing really prepares you for the chaos of an avalanche scenario.

My heartfelt condolences go out to the families of those involved.

RIP E.

There were many groups, mostly guided by professional guides, in the area doing the same runs as the group who was caught.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
I was one of the first on the scene after the avalanche occurred. I tended to a badly injured male snowboarder with bad lower back and shoulder trauma. He wad transferred by helicopter to hospital in Innsbruck. The 3 others in my group attended the girl ( who died ) and gave her CPR and resuscitation until emergency services arrived. She suffered massive head and neck trauma and had no chance of survival.

I have some, but not a lot, of avalanche rescue training and I can honestly say nothing really prepares you for the chaos of an avalanche scenario.

My heartfelt condolences go out to the families of those involved.

RIP E.

There were many groups, mostly guided by professional guides, in the area doing the same runs as the group who was caught.
Gees, tough gig man. Way to help out you fellow mountain folk :thumbs:
Thankyou for sharing

Reactions: Snow Blowey

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Wow EW, not a great day. But well done pitching in and doing what you could. Hope you are OK with it all, can't be easy.

Reactions: Snow Blowey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass