Bushfire Australian Widespread Bushfire Risk on Tuesday 12th November - and beyond

Discussion in 'Systems & Events' started by Stillcold, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

unfortunately the current conditions have the fire doubling back on Corin

2. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Guessing you’re talking about this. Not a new fire, just part of the complexity of the state management

3. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Damn :( looked like they were ok 5 hours ago

from their Facebook page. I’m not very good at embedding posts sorry

4. zac150

yeah the rolling grounds fire, I guess I didn’t mean new as in today but as in a separate fire to Orroral.

That RFS map doesn’t look good for Pryors, it’s right under Gingera in the Saddle.

5. kylep

What I’m saying though is it’s a separate marker but the same fire. They’re preparing for it to move from ACT into NSW and therefore take control of the alerting in NSW

6. Interruptedbyfireworks

I think he’s talking about the Rolling Ground one closer to Bimberi rather than the Scabby Range one?

Edit to say I just realised they are both probably just the NSW versions, I originally thought just Scabby Range would be the NSW equivalent/tag. Doh

kylep likes this.
  7. zac150

It’s a little unclear as some of the reporting here in the ACT has it as a separate fire and referenced remote area teams having been dropped in to fight it. The boss did see it on the fires near me map yesterday but didn’t get a chance to check the live fire maps.

8. kylep

Yes it's not totally clear. No doubt there, I think they have tried to keep the message as simple as possible but maybe too much so.
    If you look at the Rolling Ground info, it is at 0ha. This is common for a new fire in normal circumstances, but with all of the mapping resources on these fires, whilst updates aren't always as frequent as we like, they'd have something more than an icon on the map (and I've verified this with extra mapping data).
    The Scabby Range one is similar, however it has crossed the border there, and that incident is mapped as being 10ha currently, which would be the portion over the border.
    NSW and ACT are working together on the overall management of this broader incident, however there would be requirements to establish official control in the different jurisdictions.

9. kylep

FYI - slightly off topic. MVA on Kosci Rd in East Jindy,. Road is expected to be closed for a few hours to clear a semi trailer rollover.

10. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ouch

11. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Car and stock truck. Wonder if the car pulled out from east Jindy? Hope the stock are ok :(

12. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Oopsie

Also apparently the fires at the airport (Beard) were caused by an oopsie during a beekeeping operation for the first one, and power lines for the second one - which then merged.

cold wombat and Lady Penelope like this.
  13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

was it a TFB when the beekeeping oopsie happened? beekeepers use smoke to calm bees when they are robbing (harvesting honey). not allowed on TFB

14. Interruptedbyfireworks

Not that day. The 23rd Jan was a TFB but the Pialligo fire on the 23rd started from the tree falling on the powerlines, just an unlucky windy day

currawong likes this.
  15. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

B Double laden stock truck rolled going north at the big left bend past East Jindy turn off. Big mess, dead cows, another car involved, two people in hospital, road still closed.

Nasty

Heavy smoke from Canberra all through Jindabyne. Fires around Bredbo and too the east and west of Bredbo.

This summer is bloody hectic relentless

D-eye, telecrag and Untele-whippet like this.
  16. Kneelo

Kneelo Hard Yards

Fires remain active in my Potato Point area, bombers worked areas close to our village this arvo and a wonderful job they do!!
    My story is of the wonderful people
    you meet on the hill. The patriarch of thredbo and particularly gunbarrel, Lawrie and his wonderful partner Marion dropped into my office in Moruya to surprise me. They are on a four day break to the area because they have heard the requests to support our economically devastated region. Maybe to also see if I have a real job considering I’m on the hill more days than he.
    What a ****in legend! Lawrie Whitehead 72 and snowboarding as fast as the kids. Thanks Thredbo, thanks ski.com.au, thanks Lawrie you made my summer.

Kimski, D-eye, Ted Harper and 6 others like this.
  17. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

strangely near the national emergency services memorial, if google maps is to be believed

zac150 likes this.
  18. Kneelo

Kneelo Hard Yards

...... and to Marion who always hugs like she means it

19. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Dislike ...

Kimski and Homer like this.
  20. dawooduck

Very much dislike

Homer likes this.
  21. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Personally I can’t wait for summer to be over. Roll on the rain and autumn ....

22. dawooduck

We are hoping and wishing to be shed bound whilst it rains for a week.

23. Nidecker

[​IMG]

24. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow Ski Pass: Gold

And here it is.

The events that unfolded on 31st December are by far the most devastating and severe Paul has ever experienced - this has been the single largest fire that Paul has witnessed in his time as an RFS volunteer. Paul joined the RFS at 18 years old, driven by the desire to help others and actively be part of the Bemboka local community (population in 2016 was 577). He has been an active member of the Bemboka RFS for 30 years, including being deputy captain of the Brigade for 6 years (2009 to 2015). Paul thrives on being part of the RFS team and the small, tight-knit community. Over the years Paul has experienced many bushfires and has always been there to help others in surrounding communities when required.

He recalls the morning of 30th December while being on holiday with family in Ulladulla about 3 hrs north of Bemboka. Paul was up at 5am for his usual walk, this time on the beach, when a customer, Brendan Harris, called saying there were huge plumes of smoke coming from the Bemboka area. Paul was quickly in contact with his Brigade Captain and continued to receive frequent status updates. At 4.30pm, leaving his wife (Paula), daughter Demi (5) and son Kyle (14) in Ulladulla, he headed home to help as it was clear the situation was going to get much worse. On route he received a call from his neighbor, as there was an unknown vehicle in Paul’s driveway. Brendan Harris, the customer who phoned earlier, had taken it upon himself to set about protecting Paul’s home, wetting down the area around the house as well as plugging and filling the gutters with water..

Paul arrived home at 6.45pm and after checking all was safe went to the brigade’s shed. By this time the fires were 7km away from the town centre and heading toward homes. Three tankers and a helicopter had been fighting the fire most of the day. Paul joined a team during a water refill and from about 7.20pm spent the next 24 hour’s protecting people and their homes. Paul was acutely aware of the heightened adrenaline levels and urgency to get the fire under control. He recalls a sense of peace of mind knowing that his family were safe and that he: “could focus on the job at hand with my 3 crew mates in our Cat 7 tanker as our training kicked in. The initial task was to put in containment lines creating a 30m blackout zone between the town and fire front”. By 1.30am on 31st December the blackout containment lines were in place and they headed back to the shed for rest, planning to head home for some well-deserved sleep before their 6am start. But sleep would have to wait as a 000 call came through from a family in distress. Paul and the crew
    immediately responded and on arriving at the property found the fire was at an advanced stage with perimeter trees well alight. The priority was to get any remaining people out of the houses that were under immediate threat. “It was about 2am and 39°C when it got really serious. The westerly picked up and 90km/h wind gusts were pushing the fire, it jumped the containment lines, and a call went out to all RFS volunteers in the brigade to get to the shed”.

“I remember us saving three houses between 2.30 and 3.30am, there was one family still in a house and the others were empty. The priority was for people’s safety and we had to check they had all evacuated. My role was to hold the fire back to give others time to check for occupants. This is when I felt the most vulnerable. The extreme radiant heat, very high winds and 39oc ambient temperature was almost overwhelming. The rest is a bit of a blur where training and instinct took control, while running on pure adrenaline. Although these three houses were saved there were many others that were lost very
    quickly as the fire continued to head toward town. Eight hours into fighting the fires and having been awake for 22 hours there was such a strong feeling of mateshipand camaraderie. With multiple calls coming in we needed to move to the next hot spot. We had no hope of stopping the fire, though were able to steer it around some of the houses saving them from devastation”.

At 5am an infield meeting was held to review progress and immediate next steps in now protecting the town centre. Paul had now been awake for 24 hours. It was 6am when the fire front arrived at the town centre coming from the west, pushed hard by the strong westerly, and the temperature now 40oc. By now there was no phone service and all power had been lost. The message to anyone still in town was to take shelter as it was too late to leave. Paul and his team were now focused on trying to steer the fire around the town. By about 4pm the town had been saved with only one house lost in the town centre. Paul had been awake for 35 hours. Numerous sheds were lost accompanied by LPG and acetylene cylinders exploding, making the task that much more dangerous and challenging. It was then time to regroup at the brigade shed. Exhausted Paul headed home at 5.30pm, and checked in with friends and family in town, but could not reach his wife given no power or mobile service. A quick beer at 7.30pm, and then the best shower ever at 8pm. Paul went to bed at 10 pm as it started to rain, after being awake for the past 41 hours. Paul was back at the brigade shed at 6am (New Year’s Day) mopping up for two hours and then after a crew change headed towards Bega to try and get mobile reception so he could check on his family’s safety and let everyone know he was ok. It was not over as the fires now surrounding Bemboka and Bega continued to burn with extreme weather forecasts. Paul worked 12 hr shifts on the mop up operations and fighting fires in the surrounding districts for the next two weeks. On the 5th January Paul was reunited with his wife and children when he picked them up from Ulladulla and took them to the evacuation centre in Bega, where they stayed until the 11th January 2020.

These guys deserve a medal every year for putting their lives on the line.

25. Adaminaby Angler

Adaminaby Angler One of Us

Maragle, NSW; 948 m AMSL; 35° 51’ 30.06” S
    Strewth, summer's on its last legs anyways. Bring on the south'westers—proper cold and snow, as opposed to this cruel tease of mild easterly rubbish.

dawooduck likes this.
  26. Homer

Homer One of Us

"Australians of The Year".
    The lot of them.

27. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Nice! He is a top bloke, always a highlight of my season seeing them on the hill, and others. We must have met at some stage. Love the story thanks!

28. Kneelo

Kneelo Hard Yards

Haha yes, Donzah’s Van Park Craig and hopefully always part of your early/late season happy mtn squad , May you get enough rain to stop the Act fires ... Kev

telecrag likes this.
  29. D-eye

South'westers can wait till after the rain.

30. D-eye

Yes, that Memorial is just to the East of Round Terraces

currawong likes this.
  31. zac150

Looks like Selwyn won’t open in 2020!

just to big a job in to short a timeframe

32. kylep

Yeah, was posted elsewhere. Wonder how much they'll even be able to get done before snow gets in the way

33. zac150

guess that depends on when they can even get power back to site! Seems weird being so close to Tumut powerstation

currawong likes this.
  34. Nidecker

I wonder how this will add to visitor numbers at the other resorts / Jindy. I would imagine Perisher would be the most likely next destination for Selwyn folk.

Perisher probs doesn't need too many more people on weekends :(

35. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You'll probably find most just miss the year. Lots of people head there because its affordable with young kids. Also closer for those coming from the west. They would not afford the majors.

currawong and Nidecker like this.
  36. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Corin looking pretty good atm.

[​IMG]

37. zac150

i think they thought the colour run was on and just thought they would help out...

D-eye likes this.
  38. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Orroral valley fire has gone on a run down the gibraltar creek valley. Just one valley over from tidbinbilla nature reserve.

39. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Not good, wish we could send you some of our excessive rain mm.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  40. kylep

There was a plan for burning in that area today. That might be it, unless you're hearing something different?

41. zac150

definitely burnt, will make getting into George’s boulder easier, may actually be able to find it

Majikthise likes this.
  42. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not hearing anything but can see it. Planned burn makes sense as it's burning directly into the wind.

Krissyleigh likes this.
  43. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

Fires Near Me is all of a sudden looking a lot quieter up int he north of NSW.

44. Nidecker

Probably should be quieter, but hopefully they are struggling to verify and enter all the "fires out" data :)

Krissyleigh and Undies like this.
  45. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Fark. What am i going to worry about when the fires and heatwaves are all gone and its raining?

Can we have some sort of a flood alert perhaps? Flood crisis sounds even better.

zac150 likes this.
  46. dawooduck

Maybe a "Lawn beetles near me" app will sate your appetite for drama.

47. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Photo of the ACT fires last night, we could see it all as we were riding at Stromlo.

[​IMG]

48. D-eye

All the ash, debris and other crap being washed into the catchment areas and stuffing up the water supply seems like a likely candidate.

49. dawooduck

Wow, still burning along. The smoke in the mountains has almost cleared today.

50. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Can you please do something about that before I get back next week.

Thanks in advance,

DSNS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.