Bushfire Australian Widespread Bushfire Risk on Tuesday 12th November - and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
How well does this dropping of fire retardant really work when spot fires can start from embers over the line of retardant, particularly when you can hear the strength of the wind in these videos?

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Report of a possible pyrocumulus towards Katoomba from @ecowain !
Nothing on Fires Near Me?

On hotspots!
A3D96588-69DE-4A04-AF23-1150C84BD80B.png

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
How well does this dropping of fire retardant really work when spot fires can start from embers over the line of retardant, particularly when you can hear the strength of the wind in these videos?
I am no expert, but it's designed to slow a 'hot' fire.
Bit like losing some embers out a campfire... Spot fires from embers are going to be nowhere near as hot as the fire it comes from, initially.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Brayshaw's hut currently ok,
There's another hut that they don't think survived, didn't quite catch the name.
The infrastructure / repeater at Mt Clear has fire near it as the containment was breached.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
I may have the names wrong:
frankin jacks impacted but ok
westermans ok
Yankee hat hut impacted but ok
ACT hut near Yankee Hat car park is ok (is that the same as the one above?? I don't know the huts)
The hut up towards Booth range is the one impacted and suspected gone (horse gully hut maybe - mix of comms breaking up and they not being sure of name)

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I may have the names wrong:
frankin jacks impacted but ok
westerners ok
Yankee hat hut impacted but ok
The hut up towards Booth range is the one impacted and suspected gone (horse gully hut maybe - mix of comms breaking up and they not being sure of name)

that would be
Frank and Jacks hut,
Westermans (it had a water bag, sprinkler system).
Yankee hat hut I think is the forestry hut
Horse gully would be correct and I’d be amazed if it survived.

I also believe Gudgenby (and the redicut) both survived

Reactions: D-eye

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Not sure I like the fact the southcare helicopter is hanging around Bredbo, wondering if something has gone wrong

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Reactions: POW Hungry

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
@Untele-whippet and BM crew, heard bits and pieces as it built. They were staging near the old hospital. Fire is out along Kings tablelands road. LAT just heard onto 3 of 4 runs currently planned. From what I've picked up, I think there may also be another few places within burnt land that is putting up smoke.

Just had to go out to Blacktown area, around 36C in the city, 46C out there. Proper heat. Anything smouldering is going to pop up in this

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
@Untele-whippet and BM crew, heard bits and pieces as it built. They were staging near the old hospital. Fire is out along Kings tablelands road. LAT just heard onto 3 of 4 runs currently planned. From what I've picked up, I think there may also be another few places within burnt land that is putting up smoke.

Just had to go out to Blacktown area, around 36C in the city, 46C out there. Proper heat. Anything smouldering is going to pop up in this
Thanks!

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
While we are waiting at Vancouver Airport for our flight home, Mr 13 is getting updates on the fire situation from his best friend in Bredbo. Doesn’t sound good, although mention was made of the number of RFS tankers/trucks in town.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
that would be
Frank and Jacks hut,
Westermans (it had a water bag, sprinkler system).
Yankee hat hut I think is the forestry hut
Horse gully would be correct and I’d be amazed if it survived.

I also believe Gudgenby (and the redicut) both survived

so at this stage yet to be confirmed are

Brayshaw
Demandering
Waterhole
hospital creek
Brandy flat

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
While we are waiting at Vancouver Airport for our flight home, Mr 13 is getting updates on the fire situation from his best friend in Bredbo. Doesn’t sound good, although mention was made of the number of RFS tankers/trucks in town.

It's a proper shit show out there.

Reactions: POW Hungry

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
They're dropping around Tharwa for the next hour, have asked crews to avoid the edge of town.

There is a grass fire reported near Lake George, hopefully that turns out to be nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass