1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Austria - Dec 2016

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Karbon, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Karbon

Karbon Hard Yards

Seems I will find myself (with family - all capable skiers) in the Innsbruck area immediately after Christmas this year and will be looking for somewhere to ski.

Given its early in the season I realise that snow may be a bit dodgy so should go high. However, on the off chance the snow is early I’d be keen to get to St Anton and/or Ischgl.

Therefore I need advice. Looking at a map the Landeck / Imst area look like a good place to base myself (will have a car). Not too far from St.Anton and Ischgl nor from the higher altitude resorts of Solden, Pitzal etc.

What do you reckon? Any other suggestions?

Also, I assume driving distances and driving times would be manageable? I don’t want to be sitting in a car all day – or battling goat tracks!

Never been to Austria before so any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I think Landeck for St Anton / Ischgl / Fiss / Serfaus and Imst for Oetztal (Solden / Obergurgl) as you suggested would work.
    Another option would be Jenbach for the Zillertal resorts and Hintertux where you can use the Zillertalbahn which is included if you have a ski pass.

Kletterer likes this.
  3. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

We spent Xmas week in Idchgl a few years back - conditions were surprisingly good for early season. My view was that its a good choice for intermediates and above. The home trails were certainly not beginner friendly but easy to download on the gondola if that's an issue.

4. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Lovely village too - my wife and I still talk about the high quality of the food and drinks. Really enjoyable. Also no driving needed once you have arrived in the village.

5. Heinz

All those places listed have bases in the valley so are easily accessible by good roads (although I've always gone by train/bus). They aren't like NZ mountain roads. During the Christmas - New Year period it may be more difficult/expensive to get accommodation in some of the resorts themselves, so driving from one of those bases may be a reasonable option.

6. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ischgl's brilliant but I'd be hesitant about locking it in for a Xmas trip. They've had shocking seasons this and last year. If you have to lock something in, then far better to go with Solden. Glacier guarantee.

Heinz - do you think ZIllertal is a safe bet that time of year? My limited knowledge tells me it isn't but I haven't been so might be mistaken.

7. Heinz

Haven't been to the Zillertal at that time, so not sure, but Hintertux is at the end of the valley in worst case scenario. Or if basing in Jenbach can also easily head to another valley.

Proposed season start dates here: http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/saisonstart/

8. Incider

Incider One of Us

Spent 2 Christmas's in row at St Anton. Would recommend. Even if snow is average, the party will at least always be good.

also, plenty of day trip options from St A: Lech, Zurs, Sonnenkopf, etc.

Avoid NY week, as prices are 3x xmas week prices.

9. XTREMO

yeah true about the expense. The best value week at that time of the year is the one after NY week when most people are going back to work. My first trip to St A was something like 5-12 Jan and cost me the equivalent of about $600 for flights, transfers, accom, all meals. It was 2008 and a cracking start to the season so we had plenty of snow.

10. Heinz

Which is why Karbons thought of basing in somewhere like Landeck with a car isn't a bad idea especially at that time of year.
    According to google maps for example from Landeck, St Anton is 22mins, Fiss is 26 mins, Ischgl is 33mins. Even Sölden is about an hour. Innsbruck 53mins - can catch a bit of 4 hills ski jumping tourny? Need to allow for winter conditions of course, but that all seems quite reasonable.

Kimski and Kletterer like this.
  11. Heinz

Depending on what areas you are looking at there are a variety of multi resort passes for Tirol if you want to check out a few. If you had a whole month or more the Snow Card Tirol would be great.
    http://www.tyrol.com/things-to-do/sports/skiing/ski-pass

The Salzburger one is probably even better - just that you are further from Innsbruck if that is an issue.
    http://www.salzburgerland.com/en/ski-board/super-ski-card/salzburg-super-ski-card.html
    If that was an option though you could maybe base somewhere like Saalfelden - in easy reach of Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Hochkönig, Zell am See, Kitzsteinhorn.

12. Karbon

Karbon Hard Yards

Thanks all the advice - keep it coming.
    Really keen to try St Anton and Ischgl even if just for a day or two if the snows not so good so leaning towards that side of Innsbruck.
    Imst might be a good option, little bit closer to Solden and the guarantee the glacier provides.

13. XTREMO

Cool. Best advice is not to lock in resort. By all means stay closer to Arlberg as that's where you really want to ski. Worst comes to worst you have an extra 30-45 mins in car each morning to ride the glacier at Sölden. Tiffenbach Gletcher. It's like a German autobahn on steroids. Steep at the top, opens out into a cracking blue that is about a football field wide. Good off piste to the right as you're looking down the mountain.

14. Heinz

Can't actually tell you anything about the towns themselves. Have only ever passed through Landeck, Ötztal and Jenbach, transferring from train to bus or another train. But you will be pretty sure to find cheaper accommodation and Spar/Billa/etc supermarkets.

15. Karbon

Karbon Hard Yards

After much deliberation found a place in Oetz for the week after Xmas. Gives us the options of Hochoetz/Kuhtai, Solden and Obergurgl. Also, if the snow is OK, plenty of other options within an hours drive.

Then off to Val Gardena.

Fingers crossed for a good early season :)

Kimski likes this.
  16. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

17. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

Landeck to Kaunertal Glacier resort is 25 minutes drive. Hotel owner in Fiss told me its pretty good and he goes there late and early season. October to June season. We did Fiss to Samnaun ( the swiss side of Ishcgl) in 40 mins.