1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Autumn Surf Thread

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by churchy, Mar 2, 2006.

1. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

I know where that wave is now ben, the only thing I will say is you need a boat to get there...

2. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Ben, what I meant with my earlier post is the E swell of 2 weeks ago created more surfable opportunities than what this S swell will create, as in there was more spots that work on an E swell (especially Syd's nthn beaches where I'm from!) and can handle the size too, however, a BIG NE swell would be the optimum for our stretch of coast, that would see a whole lot of quality breaks fire.
    I just think looking at the charts, the majority of the swell will be heading off towards Nth island NZ, lord howe & norfolk, fiji and I also thought Tahiti would get it too ?
    Regardless, we will still see size on sth facing beaches come sunday, time will tell on how big it will get though.....

3. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

A boat, and a lot of confidence surfing large waves! Those waves are well and truly out of my league.

4. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Ahh, fair enough, I agree with you on that (although, I have stressed this point in all of my surf forecasts for this event so far, so I hope it's translating to the general public well).
    Yes, all apart from Tahiti. NZ's North Island will block most of the swell (have a look on map). I'd personally be booking a trip to Samoa if I had the time.

#104 thermalben, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  5. Yato

Yato Hard Yards

Just checked with the guys from Surfest, and Yes they can run the webcam from Merewether if need be, so bring on the swell!!!! Could be a great weekend!!!

#105 Yato, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

awesome.. that's great! Look forward to seeing some good footage this weekend then [​IMG]

#106 thermalben, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Its started. Flat this morning, not flat this evening with a very, very south swell and SW winds.

Get up early for the dawn patrol.

8. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Ridiculously good in westernport vic early today. Easy 6 ft plus.Not too windy at all am either.

9. The Plowking

Cant remember the date but early 2005(think)we had a strong SE swell. Was bizarre. Point leo was 4-5 ft Gunnamatta about same and Island side of W.bay was 2 ft. Was courtesy of the bottom part of a cut off low being located in the Tasman stretching into Bass strait. Anyone remember that one? Trees down everywhere due to uncommon wind etc. and all the sand was washed away at lorne from memory.

#109 The Plowking, Apr 6, 2006
  10. Spiderman

Spiderman First Runs

Yep Crunchies in westerport was the biggest I have see it for a long time. Solid 6ft+ with the occasional bomb!! Even the shitty little points that rarely fire were apparently 3 to 4ft.

Looks like it will hang round tomorrow as well. Yeeooooh!!

11. Cliff-jumper_2000

Cliff-jumper_2000 First Runs

big big today epic but to big and westerly swell meaning super amounts of water movement over this way! But still got stuck into some solid 6footers this arvo! sweet.

12. Guru08

Guru08 First Runs

Thanks Ben and Plowking,

Pking i think 2005 ECL was 18-25ish of March?? I don't remember it cause I was in Colorado, but have checked archived charts. NSW BOM has already labelled this weekend as a 'significant weather event'. Pilot friend is in Mexico so no easy flight to over the border airport. May drive the 7 hours tonight but crew is ummming and ahhhing and i'm not spending that long at the wheel. Everyone enjoy, can't wait for the pics and be safe!

13. dawooduck

The swell dropped to about 2ft with bigger sets today ... weird.

14. churchy

churchy One of Us

ben, i'm keen to have a paddle inside sydney harbour on sunday but i'm lost as to where to go on a SE swell. i know watsons works from time to time on a big NE... can you PM rather than throw it up here?

cheers [​IMG]

#114 churchy, Apr 8, 2006
  15. Spiceman

Spiceman Part of the Furniture

Well Vicco apparently had their taste of this today. The wave below was posted by Ben a few days back from NSW, but is similar in size to what a nice location in Vicco had on offer:

[​IMG]

Wave looked very nice on Sports Tonight and similar size to those NSW bombs... Shane Horan said it's the best he'd had in Oz..

#115 Spiceman, Apr 8, 2006
  16. Spiceman

Give it another day and I don't think size is going to be a problem by the look of the swell....

#116 Spiceman, Apr 8, 2006
  17. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Spicey, that was the same session (check the write up on the story here ). There's no way that Vicco would have had as clean conditions as this swell over the last few days - wind speeds have been quite strong.

#117 thermalben, Apr 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  18. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Well Ben looks like your forecast was on the money and I will eat my words tomorrow!
    Mind you I don't think it will be huge at more protected N facing beaches but still big.
    Surprised on how small it still is right now as I'm typing this, but after going for a paddle this morning you could sense it getting bigger and bigger.....
    Doesn't look like the real jump will be until tonight......

19. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

I would love to just sit and watch a 15' swell slabbing up and throwing tones of water on to an unforgiving reef, it would be unbelievable [​IMG]
    Have fun out there and keep safe :thumbs: it will be one to talk about for years to come!

#119 SAsurfa, Apr 8, 2006
  20. Spiceman

it's funny how when I saw it on TV I automatically thought of the waves you posted earlier because it looked very similar. According to your report, the wave is just over the Vicco border between Eden and the Goldy... so your saying NSW, whereas the other report on TV said they could assure us it was somewhere in Vicco, so which is it? Vicco or NSW??

#120 Spiceman, Apr 8, 2006
  21. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Well, we're all trying to keep the location slightly under the radar Spicey, hence why there may be "misleading" info around the place as to its location (did Sports Tonight really 'assure' people that it was in Vicco? [​IMG] ). However, I can assure you myself that the local surfers will be very stoked it people are looking for this place in Vicco!

#121 thermalben, Apr 9, 2006
  22. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttt ben, that, as it used to say on the back of my tshirt, is FILTH. Hard to believe it's on the east coast.

We are living in the second golden age. With with the upscale in size, experience and equipment required, it's really a new age of heroes. Zeus would be proud.

23. Spiceman

The commentator said "we don't know where the break is, for obvious reasons, however we can guarantee that it is somewhere between the VIC/NSW border and the VIC/SA border... so yeah he assured people. The whole thing was about Victoria's epic surf on that day and there was NO mention of NSW whatsoever which is kind of weird...

So unless there are two epic bombies then I suspect the media was very misled, then again, aren't they always.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#123 Spiceman, Apr 9, 2006
  24. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Just got off the phone to the boys, they surfed the same break today. Except that it was 10' bigger. Will have pics online tomorrow.

25. Spiceman

Now that will be some of the biggest surf seen in Oz!! 10ft bigger again.. [​IMG] [​IMG] Hurry up with the pics already..

#125 Spiceman, Apr 9, 2006
  26. dawooduck

It was rather solid today. Outside Macs had 3 tow in crews and about 15 paddle hellmen. It was a big rolling swell around 15ft working all the way through to the beach but with too much south in the swell and too much east in the wind to be epic conditions.

I surfed inside macs around 9:00am about 8ft with some massive walls of clean up white wash coming through. After 3 waves and 3 walks around the rocks I gave in. Bloody hard work. Nice waves wailing walls to concrete shutdown on the backhand though

Surfed some okay lefts at Avoca on dusk around 4ft with some bigger sets.

The Haven was about the same size.

Way too much wind and not enough refraction to make the points really fire. Copa, North Av, Foresters where off their respective faces.

27. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Quote of the year! Never seen you mention 15' before R&C.. would have thought that there'd be a better adjective than "rather" [​IMG]

#127 thermalben, Apr 9, 2006
  28. Spiceman

Would like to have had a go at The Haven, sounds you guys have had an epic day over there in places.. Have you been out anywhere Ben? Was looking at Real Surf and Collaroy's never looked so good!

[​IMG]

#128 Spiceman, Apr 9, 2006
  29. The Plowking

Agree. Anywhere the swell was that big would have been crosshore at best am on the 6th.

#129 The Plowking, Apr 9, 2006
  30. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Wasn' that big in Qld - surfed Currumbin yesterday with 4' sets. Pity there was a 20 min wait for 'em! Could have done with 100 less people out there too.

31. Richard T

Richard T First Runs

Geezus, I go away for the weekend to the UK and another massive swell rolls in...got emails from bragging mates [​IMG]

I can't see it for myself, but there's someone in the lip in this wave trying to stand up according to my mate. Unsurfable because of the speed of the waves...until Mick Lowe came along and showed me mates how it's done.

Barrack Pt, South Coast, first thing Sunday. "15-18foot freight train top to bottom
    barrels."

[​IMG]

Full size: http://darb.net/photos/anonymous/barrackpt.jpg

#131 Richard T, Apr 10, 2006
  32. dawooduck

:D .... rather [​IMG] .... seen bigger. The exposed beaches and cliffs where off their faces with waves exploding (hows that [​IMG] ) on the rocks. Copa was getting closed out from outside the point all the way to the cross on the rocks at Macs on the big sets and Foresters was ..... UGE!!!

still seen bigger and cleaner over the years

As Richards T shot shows this swell was all about getting access to the right combination of swell and wind. The Wati swell was all about SURFING just about everywhere, clean, offshore and cracking.

Any swell will do though [​IMG]

#132 dawooduck, Apr 10, 2006
  33. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Here\'s something for y'all to look at.

#133 thermalben, Apr 10, 2006
  34. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

To keep with the understated tone, that is quite solid. Holy crap!!!

#134 adminvb, Apr 10, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  35. Phat Mike

Phat Mike First Runs

love that shot Richard!

36. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

There's another pic of what I assume is the same location as Richard T's photo here. (courtesy Swellnet)

#136 adminvb, Apr 10, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  37. Big Pink Bits

Big Pink Bits Hard Yards

I can vouch for barrack point on sunday am - it was firing. absolutely crazy stuff

cowries was heavenly as well.

38. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Well after all this epic surf over on the east coast my surf's sound pitiful, but its all the same feeling(just not as much adrenalin running through your veins) so im stoked anyway, but continuing I camped at middleton point last night, was about 3' at the dump yesterday evening and then went to point this morning, 3' and bloddy cold, my feet froze up after 2 hrs but was alright there but a bit slow as always but then went down near cliffs and was very good, nice long rides all the way into the inside section where it would wall up to closeout so you could float, smack or launch an "air"(if only I could) but then went back there again after lunch and was total glass off, and some nice rides but I think the tide was a bit full cause it was walling up and then looking like breaking down the line and then hit the channel and faded but then the wind came up at about 1.30 and screwed it. Good 4 sessions though!

39. The Plowking

uumm. Faaaaaaaaaq

#139 The Plowking, Apr 10, 2006
  40. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

That last shot in the freshly uploaded pics of the secret location has a real Teahupoo look about it. What a heavy wave. Hard to believe it's in NSW.
    Were they all tow-ins Ben? Notice that guys are paddling in one of the shots.

41. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

From what I've been told, most of them were tow-ins (esp the bigger ones), but there were quite a few locals out there too - not all of which had skis.

More amazingly, Phil Macca was riding an ordinary 6'3, as he didn't have a tow board and couldn't be bothered adjusting the straps from Clint's board! Keep this in mind when you next look at that first pic on page 1 - really puts things into perspective.

42. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

Next Monday looks good for another round of southerly swell with yet another cutoff low moving through the lower Tasman. If this one comes off that'll be three weeks in a row. Be nice if it came through a little earlier but one shouldn't be greedy. [​IMG]

#142 adminvb, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  43. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

Hats off to him. Anyone get clobbered?

44. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Yes.. there is on the video footage that I'll have up later. It's that same shot of "Morgan" on the first page. Pulls in and gets walloped!

45. dawooduck

Nice waves around over the last two days. My new board goes well. It is fast and likes the high line under the lip .... only 5 days to liquid pow in the Mentawis.

Liquid Pow

#145 dawooduck, Apr 18, 2006
  46. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Surf report via coastalwatch for the south coast:

"By Wednesday west to southwest winds will moderate and a solid swell will begin to build. At this stage it looks in the 6ft+ range on open coasts and 2-3ft for the mid. Unfortunately it's looking like it'll coincide with a moderate westerly airstream, early mornings may offer light NW winds. Thursday westerly winds will ease and so will the swell"

I don't know who's studying the chats and computer models over there but the swell is not easing at all into thursday, its reaching a good 10'+ and maybe even bigger as ben has forecasted. Now taking one look at a swell chart will show you a good 7-8m++ of swell hitting the coastline into wednesday evening and thursday morning, what is wrong with these people??

47. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

#147 FourSquare04, Apr 19, 2006
  48. thermalben

thermalben Hard Yards

Don't know why you need to 'reveal' them, but yes - you're right. 'Twas pumping out there.

49. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

I wouldn't say they are exactly 'secret spots' and I would highly doubt a lot of people would know where they are and how to get to them, but that's cool. I hear it's a pretty gnarly rock off to get out to both of those spots.....?
    This morning was a nice surprise.....2 to 3ft of nicely brushed NE swell coming in and it's only going to get better over the next few days......

50. The Plowking

Westernport pretty much epic today. West coast too no doubt