1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Employment Avalanche Education Work Experience Opportunity

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by damian, Jun 25, 2014.

1. damian

damian A Local

Hi, that title is a bit grandiose - it isn't really employment, and I wasn't sure where to post this, but here it is:

Numerous avalanche professionals have helped me over the years through mentorship and practicum work, it is an ongoing part of the job. I am now looking to start repaying some that help. If you have aspirations to work in the avalanche related industry, particularly in education internationally, this may interest you, especially in Australia where work experience is hard to come by.

I admit that it isn't much, but I would be happy to have a volunteer join me on this season's AST1 courses in Jindabyne. I don't actually need any help at all and you would not be required to do so much, just tag along beside me, help customers with gear, bury a few backpacks for rescue scenarios and generally learn about the course and instructional technique, plus provide me with feedback. You'd improve your avalanche knowledge, guaranteed. You'd open the door to possible future work in Japan (no promises at all!) Finally, you would be forming a relationship with an avalanche professional, which you find valuable in the next stages of your career path.

There are two AST1 courses in the second half of August. I'd prefer to have one person tag along on both courses. This is my fourth year of instructing in Australia and in previous seasons I've always thought of having someone along as a way of helping their career goals.

Prerequisites....

Not negotiable: CAA Avalanche Operations Level 1, or NZ equivalent. Preferably recently obtained as part achieving your goals and ambitions.

Desirable: a demonstrable enthusiasm for avalanche work. Wilderness first aid training.

Mentorship is a vital part of advancing in ones avalanche career - this is true for all involved. Over time I'll get as much out of it as you will.

If you are interested please email me: damian at mountainlife.jp

It is likely that there's someone out there who would really benefit from this small opportunity, however it is unlikely that they will see this notice. Please share it around amongst your network to help them find me.

-damian
    Canadian Avalanche Association Professional Member
    Japan Avalanche Network Professional Member
    www.mountainlife.jp

2. Camelot

Camelot One of Us

Great initiative , nice one Damian, wish i had the experience and also the time off, but alas Hotham has me in her clutches! Will share...
    (shared on FB & Twitter)

3. damian

damian A Local

Hey mate, thanks for sharing it around. I also posted it on my business facebook page if anyone wants to share it directly via FB.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...37207012.97699.375000675897535&type=1&theater

For those thinking about contacting me - please make sure you consider the listed prerequisites first. :)

This is the kind of opportunity I'd really liked to have found myself some time back, so I hope someone similar finds it now. If you do not have the prerequisites, perhaps plan to complete them so that you can tag along with me in a future season. Every step adds up, but you often need to plan them in advance.

stuarth and Camelot like this.