1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Avoiding the ATS

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by skiflat, Aug 13, 2018.

1. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Heading to falls soon and want to avoid the ATS as it seems to be a mess and $$$$

Staying at Freauf Village

Is this manageable from the carpark and how many stairs.....

We arrive a few days before roads get cleared so our departure should be with cleared roads

However given the amount of snow they may keep the roads closed for longer.

Thoughts

2. snowplow25

snowplow25 Hard Yards

There is stair case that will pretty much take you all the way there beginning next to the ATS, depending on baggage could be a fair hike

skiflat and Chaeron like this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

ATS really isn't that bad these days. Nothing like the bad old days. I stupidly arrived at 3pm on a peak sunday arvo and I was in the husky within 30 mins of pulling up at ATS. Certainly got to the lodge well ahead of the driver who used gully chair after parking

You can send one person (and maybe kids) with all the luggage while the others walk. You get 3 pieces of luggage included in the price of a ticket, then $7 a piece for extras.

If you are you are young, fit, and skint then by all means carry everything up. I would have thought the cost of ATS was pretty insignificant compared to the cost of Freuhauf.

The stairs do gho pretty dire tly most of the way to Freuhauf but it's a long climb to the top road with luggage.

The worst problems was idiots putting their trolleys on the ramp before abandoning them to go back and buy tickets, causing a delay and forcing the end of the queue out the door. At least some of the people who did this got to the bottom of the ramp and announced that they were still waiting for drivers.

It's not that hard
    1. Buy your tickets while someone else in the group packs your trolley
    2. Get in line

skiflat, Ziggy and Every2years like this.
  4. skifree

skifree Sort of old & definitely grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

An organised skier, rare, rare beast.

piolet and Ziggy like this.
  5. Every2years

Every2years Hard Yards

That is what we have done when the youngest kids were smaller. Wives and kids went via ATS with most of the bags and skis whilst a mate and I walked.

We found ATS ok but we never arrived at peak times and did exactly as Currawong suggests.

6. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think after a long drive to Falls, the prospect of walking up A LOT of stairs to get to Frueauf is not something I would be looking forward to, particularly as the cost per person in the overall scheme of accommodation, lift tickets, meals, drinks etc is pretty small

Plus the service these days is pretty good

skiflat, qwill and currawong like this.
  7. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've done this walk in my younger days when I was far tighter in the pocket. It's hard work with all your gear. The ATS isn't cheap by any means but with bulk gear it's worth it. They're pretty accommodating for excess baggage as well I find and depending on when you arrive you shouldn't be waiting too long.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  8. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, stayed near there at Summit Ridge a few times. Would not want to carry a lot of gear up that far.

currawong likes this.
  9. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Thanks Curra

Guess I'll fork out the $ for the ATS then it seems

Had a few mates do it recently and they waited ages to get a driver so was trying to avoid a 45min wait

currawong likes this.
  10. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Well it's gonna take you a fair while to leg everything up so the time difference will be minimal in the end and it's a whole shit tonne less effort. As I said, I've done it and whilst it seems easy enough but it's really not worth the effort.

skiflat likes this.
  11. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Sometimes I'd like to avoid the ATS because I hated waiting for it so I walk. (TBH too many unorganised humans waiting in line made me lose patience, oh, they cut the queue too if you're not watching). However, most of the time it's not practical to avoid the ATS due to the amount of luggage we have.
    So the solution could be to send 1 person with ALL the luggage on the ATS. Make sure that you stay somewhere not too far away from the walkway for the other person to just walk up/down easily. The other person is probably parking the car in the overnight zones too so by the time that is done, you'll probably be checked in.

currawong and skiflat like this.
  12. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Exactly my thoughts