1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Back for more -Kyoto, Furano, Tomamu

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Born2ski, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Love those widely space trees up the top. Awesome. Has the Club Med made a difference around the mountain? e.g numbers of people on the hill, ambience, infrastructure improvements etc? Cheers.

2. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

I love the wide spaced trees at the top of Tomamu Mountain and the relaxed attitude to off piste skiing.

I spent all morning just lapping Powder Express chair. Skiing under the chair, off to the right through the trees then the left, drop down under the gondola. While there's definitely westerners here skiing the trees it still takes a while for it to get skied out and if you keep searching you'll often find more new lines to enjoy.

Dre@mer and Ramenman like this.
  3. Born2ski

Club Med have created small lift lines, where otherwise there'd be none. You notice when they go off for lunch, the runs are empty.

Other changes since last year.
    - More signage warning you of the risks and rescue costs of skiing through the trees, but still very few areas roped off.
    - No new lifts or any cut runs.
    - New electronic ticket gates
    - The Village Alpha (where we stayed both this year and last) has made some effort to tidy up their common areas, including internal guttering to catch the drips in the hallways and two new washer and dryers, but the place still needs work.

- Still lots of Asian tourists here just enjoying the snow but not actually skiing. I even posed in a photo today for one, the crazy westerner with his fat skis and monster helmet. LOL

4. Tanuki

Thanks for the response. I loved Tomamu and would go back anytime. I reckon it's a great hill and the 'village' has got a nice quirky, and as strange as it sounds - authentic feel. Authentically bubble resort and sometimes weird, but still good. I much preferred the village to the other stand alone resorts I've been to in Japan i.e. Rusutsu and Appi.

There's seems to be plenty of scope for expansion and new runs if they have the appetite e.g the bowls to the skiers right of the top chair - you can see from the red 'bridge'
    Great TR, thanks for sharing.

Dre@mer likes this.
  5. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah heaps wanted to pose with their feet on my skis and holding poles.

There was a snowbank built up against the top lookout where all the tourists were. So I clipped in and dropped the lookout line! Can’t fall as all the cameras are on you :)

Dre@mer likes this.
  6. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What are you using for a SIM card?

7. Fonty

Fonty Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Dre@mer likes this.
  8. Born2ski

Just my normal Aussie sim with OVO Mobile. Works fine in my Samsung S5 that I've brought to Japan a few times now. I get good signal strength all over the mountain.

PMG likes this.
  9. Born2ski

Dealing with my son's fractured leg is starting to drive me crazy. Aussie insurance medical team now want the cast "split" for the flight home (in case of potential swelling) Japanese doctor says it doesn't need it. Aussie team say, just pop down to your local medical centre and get it done, like we're sitting in the suburbs of Sydney. :rolleyes: Problem is,there is no doctor or medical centre in Tomamu. So Japanese doctor has informed us if we really need the cast split it's a 3hr ++ return drive to his hospital to get it done. :mad:

Add to this, myself and my boy have both had colds (just waiting for the wife and girl to come down with it) and I'm feeling like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ right now. :(

10. Dre@mer

Dre@mer Hard Yards

:(

11. Dre@mer

Dre@mer Hard Yards

Can the non-Japanese Asians please just walk on the left like the Japanese do?! When in Rome :whistle:

And more lifts, more milk in the conbini (keeps selling out)...and the place would be just about perfect ;)

LMB likes this.
  12. Dre@mer

Dre@mer Hard Yards

One more improvement: medical services for the walking wounded, would be good for the skiers, snowboarders and just the thousands of guests who might need them :whistle:

LMB likes this.
  13. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sigh.

You're not in Kansas anymore.

14. PMG

Sounds like you're getting the royal runaround.

It's not a trip to Japan without one of us catching something. I think I caught the same thing Heinz had last year. That was a doozy.

15. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I had to take 5 days sick leave from work after i got home as a result of the virus I had from that trip. Never had to do that before.

16. PMG

Yes, it was a lingerer that's for sure.

17. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

18. PMG

Donzah likes this.
  19. d15812

d15812 Guest

Dr Google seems to suggest that splitting the leg cast is the recommended way to go.

A standard risk matrix template would suggest perhaps an "unlikely" or "rare" likelihood with with a potential consequence of "moderate" to "severe" (permanent impairment or even fatality?). That would put you in the medium to high risk category.

Like lots of things in life, it's ultimately your call.

Can you line something up so that you can get it done on your way to the airport? Perhaps leave a half day early? That way you're not having to go out and back.

There are medical centres at Narita https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/service/svc_21 and Haneda https://www.haneda.toho-u.ac.jp/domestic/english/

Perhaps you can get it done there if travelling that way.

LMB likes this.
  20. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

21. LMB

That would be a smart way to do it.

I suppose the risk depends on the severity of the break, how long since it was set and the kid himself. But my 1 day old break in my arm didn’t like flying at all. It swelled and it hurt. I was very glad of the 2cm gap and my skin bulged out of that gap thanks to the flight. The following day it was so loose you could almost slide the cast off, so it was a lot of swelling

One of my boys badly broke his leg, no flights but required a gap and daily bandaging to keep the swelling under control for a month! Even just standing to go to the bathroom caused swelling.

22. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I hope their not worried about compartment syndrome. I have a friend who had a catastrophic fracture of his ulnar and radius, shattering about 2cm of both bones. He didn't get a cast on the way home, but ended up with acute compartment syndrome anyway. He said the compartment syndrome was much more painful than the fracture.

23. Born2ski

LMB likes this.
  24. LMB

25. d15812

d15812 Guest

It's just a cast that needs to be split. The Furano Doctor is feeling responsible be a) they did the initial job, b) you contacted them directly, and c) well, they are Japanese. In reality, anyone can split the cast, I don't think it's rocket science or requires extensive back-history of the injury.

Again, Dr Google seems to overwhelming suggest that splitting the cast is necessary. What are you going to do mid-flight if the poor kid's foot starts turning as blue as his ski boot? DVT is caused by poor circulation, you're up'ing the risk there exponentially.

These guys may be able to help or could probably point you to someone who can: http://www.new-chitose-airport.jp/en/service/guide/medicaloffice/

There is an Aust consulate office in Sapporo: https://japan.embassy.gov.au/tkyo/location_sapporo.html

Your travel insurance people are obliged to help find you the nearest medical services.

There seem to be a whole heap of medical services within a 10 min drive of Chitose airport, including 2 hospitals: https://www.google.com/maps/search/doctor+near+Chitose,+Hokkaido/@42.856425,141.5992389,13z

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Dre@mer and Tanuki like this.
  26. Snow Edict

Snow Edict Addicted

Bugger, B2S!

I had a similar experience with M4 (then) two years ago. Lower leg break, closed cast above the knee. The break happened 4 days before we returned so we had the split/not-split decision to make as well. Ended up not splitting the cast until we got home - we were in Canada so getting it done wasn't the issue. Personal decision I guess. There was more rigmarole in getting medical clearances from the airline and the travel insurer for the alternate trip arrangements home (M4+parent got business flights home, separate flights). I remember there was an airline medical clearance process that was not straightforward - local doctor & scans, airline doctor review. It was a bit stressy getting that sorted with only a few days to go so you might want to check that out in advance if you have sufficient time.

As an aside, I've just come back from almost 2 weeks at Tomamu (left last weekend). Fun hill, if a bit small. Luckily the conditions were pretty good overall - two dumps + some more minor in-between falls meant I spent 90% of the time in the trees around the Gondola and Powder Express. Face shots on multiple mornings, any multiple runs on days with fresh.

Did the Club Med thing. First time, have to say it had a weird feel. Like a cruise, without the boat. After the initial shock of it, I'd have to say it is very good for families, but won't suit everyone's taste. Just the concentration of people around meal times, and noise at those times. Top marks for the food quality and choice - I think this is where the majority of the $$ go. The parents just don't end up having to compromise at all based on what their kids will eat, or not.

Ski school was pretty good - mainly due to instructor personalities (our ages ranged from 6-11). Be aware that group class sizes can be on the big side - up to 12 or 13 is my understanding, but this is mainly in the lower levels. (They use a Star system for kids classes, ie. Star 1-6; from 4 and up, class sizes I observed were usually 8 or less).

Morning sign-in and organisation was chaotic, but got better during our stay, or we got better at navigating it. Accommodation is excellent for room size and quality (and noise shielding) - I hear that it is a bit of shlep if you end up in one of the further wings, but this wasn't a problem for us.

The wave pool (and onsen) is a great attraction - we were there every afternoon bar one. Have a go at the slack lines!

27. Dre@mer

Dre@mer Hard Yards

Thanks for the write up the SS Club Med, always wondered! Agree, the Viking meals perfectly cater to fussy eaters :thumbs:

After posting dozens of photos on my FB of the fun times we’ve had in Tomamu, friends and family have already asked to join in. But Village Alpha, and most places we visit won’t be for everyone, and will be that much harder for first timers (we travel on a budget - maximum bang for your buck). And no friends on a powder day :eek:. Harsh but true, we’re here to ski, not babysit.

I reckon Japanese bubble resorts are a nice soft introduction for first timers and a good alternative for mixed groups (of snow enthusiasts and non-skiers/boarders), or just to minimise stress. Perfect if you have young kids, even better if the ski school can provide English language lessons, without having to max out your credit card; all-inclusive packages would take out a lot of stress here, but good to know about ski school rego chaos (somehow not a complete surprise :eek:)

Japan vs North America is a compromise though isn’t it: a ski hill on the small side with Japow, or less frequent powder with steeper terrain on a Canadian/US mountain...

Jonkl and Born2ski like this.
  28. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

the culture and food in Japan are a plus as well

Chalkie and Dre@mer like this.
  29. LMB

How is this all going?

Just a note, in case it’s not obvious, once the cast is split you bandage it to maintain support, and re-bandage every morning ensuring it’s not too tight or too loose.

30. Dre@mer

Dre@mer Hard Yards

I haven’t succumbed to a flu in Japan for a few years, and hope to avoid this year’s flu as well. It’s been just dumb luck, or otherwise lots of hand washing plus religious consumption of CC Lemon, or whatever’s handy with mega doses of vitamin C

1F72C62B-6ED1-4A2D-BE84-911E05271B76.jpeg

31. Snow Edict

Snow Edict Addicted

@Dre@mer - no worries! I've always found the little details useful so happy to give back where possible.

The ski school thing is manageable if you know about it; and I think ClubMed could do a few easy things which would make a big difference.

The way it worked is that each evening you are supposed to 'register' your kids (and there's a similar process for adult group lessons). All this amounts to is saying how many kids you want in which Star level, without names or room numbers, and any request for a particular instructor. I gather this is just for ClubMed to work out how many instructors to actually have there (and pay) next morning. They do this at the ski school desk on Level 3 - part-way through our stay they also had people at the entry to the dining area to also get sign-ups. This part of it is easy.

The part they need to improve is next morning. Each Star level (there are also two beginner levels called 'Flake', and 3 rider levels for boarders) are assigned a meeting room on the ground floor. These rooms are adjacent to a long, but not particularly wide corridor. The staff put out tables in front of each meeting room (which reduces the useable corridor width more). Small signs indicate which table corresponds with each level (the signs were up above eye level, so look up). The process is that you sign your specific kid into the ski school (ClubMed speak: Mini Club) at which point they are given a bib with a colour corresponding to the Star level. Because of the numbers of people trying to sign kids in, there are horrible queues forming in the corridor, mixed with people actually trying to use the corridor. Also, each meeting room (and therefore table) has more than one Star level assigned to it, so there can be multiple confused queues to the one table, but for different classes. Paid to ask which queue was for what - sometimes the parents queuing had little idea themselves.

If you have multiple kids across different levels (and hence need to get to different tables), it gets hectic really fast! Their suggestion is that you get there for registration at 8.30am, which is a bloody good idea, but also puts some pressure on getting up, dressed and breakfast (which starts at 7am). Not quite the relaxed start everyone necessarily wants. Depends on number of kids, and their ages/levels.

Lesson start times are staggered slightly (from 9.15am for Star 4-6, and 9.30am (I think) for Star 1-3, Flakes; not sure about boarders). After sign in, the kids are supposed to go into their meeting rooms sans parents, after which they are supposed to be taken by the Mini Club staff to one central Kids ski room near the exit to the slopes. This ski room is where the kids skis, boots are stored (including your own, if you bring them). The gear racks are organised by Star level, and all the skis, boots, poles, helmets are labelled with your kid's name and Star level colour which is good. (If you bring your own gear, you take it to the main meeting room, room 4, the afternoon before so they can be labelled and put away).

The ski room is where the next bottleneck happens in the morning. The Kids ski room is barely big enough to accommodate all the kids - and the kids are expected (particularly Star 4 and above) to be able to get their own boots, helmet, gloves etc on (one very good thing is that the staff take out the skis/poles earlier in the morning to Star level meeting points/racks outside - so the kids don't have to lug them). But some young kids are very good skiers that make it into the upper Star levels... (there was a 5 year-old in Star 6 when we were there) and they, and even older kids, still need help to get sorted. Staff help, but even though the kids ski room is supposed to be a parent-free area, invariably kids needed parents' help. In our case, we ended up helping 3 of ours, and saw that they made it outside before getting our own stuff on. (There are individual-room specific lockers nearby for adult gear).

It's not entirely unmanageable, but there is a lot of noise and movement - so kids (and parents) who need some pre-warning, take note! I've got a photo somewhere that I'll try find and post up.

I did see a number of parents make comments to staff during the time there about the need to improve things - and to their credit, the Mini club/ski school staff did try to separate the groups more entering/leaving the ski room more, ie. levels 4-6 out of the ski room before the 1-3s etc went in. The sign-in system though was still unnecessarily hard.

Other things coming back to me: a trip to the Ice Village is fun. The gym is not large, but good, and they also run daily stretching and yoga classes. The evening shows are also good considering they are put on by the staff who are doing this in their own time on top of their normal day work (they get flogged pretty hard, to my observation) - but they finished too late for young kids, ie. 9.30pm if you want to avoid a battle next morning: see ski school above!

Attached Files:

Dre@mer likes this.
  32. Born2ski

I've organised for the cast to get split on Friday (the day before we fly out) back at Furano hospital. Not ideal, but seemed the best option and is what the original treating doctor recommended. 3hr ++ return trip in a little rental car from Tomamu.

If we went down to Sapporo or New Chitose it would have meant leaving a day early and losing a night's accommodation in Tomamu. And I wasn't prepared to try and get it split on Saturday morning just before we fly out. The two experiences I've had with Japanese medical treatment were not 5 minute jobs. They took hours of waiting, paperwork and payment processing, so I wasn't going to risk missing our flight on Saturday.

Have contacted our airline and organised wheel chairs at the airports. We already have premium economy seating on our flights and the Australian insurance medical team have indicated this should be suitable for a 9yr old boy to elevate his leg.

So it hasn't been a fun experience, and it's not over yet, but I think I've got it all covered for now.

#82 Born2ski, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  33. LMB

Best of luck.
    Give him some Panadol and nurofen pre- travel too. Will just take the edge of increasing discomfort before it begins.

Dre@mer likes this.
  34. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Sorry to read about your sons injury. You've done all you can........good job mum and dad.
    Luckily this your first major mishap with the kids health after many ski trips?
    Count your blessings when they are home and well. ;)
    Keep letting the young birds fly.

Lady Penelope, Dre@mer and Born2ski like this.
  35. Born2ski

Yes, this is the first time any of us have needed medical treatment for skiing. First bone fracture ever for the family too. And that includes 35 years skiing for me, 26 years for the wife, 11 years for my daughter and 7 years for the boy. Trust the boy to ruin the record run. ;)

Tanuki and Melskius like this.
  36. Born2ski

Back to the skiing.

Took my girl out this afternoon and turned her into a powder expert.(the yellow armband) ;)

The calm before the storm.

Currently snowing with local media reporting a potential 40cm out of this system. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

37. Dre@mer

Dre@mer Hard Yards

@Snow Edict, eye opening! So mealtimes and getting the kids off to ski school is a bit more pandemonium, and less “relax, it’s all-inclusive” than I imagined. I guess it’s just impossible to make getting kids onto the snow in the morning, any less unglamorous than it really is :confused:

Snow Edict likes this.
  38. ralf_plough

ralf_plough One of Us

Sorry to hear of your sons injury. I had a broken leg in 2005. Cast also split before flying home. I think it is pretty standard.

39. Born2ski

Thursday. 21cm overnight with light to moderate snow throughout the day made for some great fun in the trees.

Winds picked up in the afternoon so headed home via our trail through the forest.

After a swim at the wave pool and a nudie run in the outdoor onsen (which was a very nice outdoor onsen), we headed to Hotalu Street for some soft shell crab. My young boy has been looking forward to this for the last 12 months.

40. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Is the ice city open this year?

41. Born2ski

Yes Ice Village was open but unfortunately we didn't end up visiting it this trip due to the boy's broken leg.

42. Gumbo

Gumbo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Did his soft shell crab live up to his memory of it from the year before?

43. Born2ski

Friday - 24cm in the last 24hrs making it 45cm in two days. Unfortunately I had to drive back to Furano hospital with my boy to get his cast split, but the wife and daughter got to enjoy the morning out, while I got to drive a 4wd Toyota Vitz. LOL

If you're ever up at Tomamu and want to visit a nearby resort or go pick up some groceries just rent a little Toyota for the day. Only costs 5400 yen and they have an office right in the tower - too easy. :thumbs:

Made it back to Tomamu by 3pm, just in time to click on the skis and jump in one of the last gondola rides up.

And still managed to find some fresh lines at 4pm.:D

The sun sets on Tomamu at the end of another trip.

After a late start I thought I'd continue with a little night skiing, not a soul on the run by 5.30pm.

44. Born2ski

He still hasn't recovered from the flu. So while he did enjoy it, he unfortunately couldn't finish it all.

45. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hey mate, just checking in and seeing the young fellas problems and resultant actions. Not fun, hope things smooth over and things work out. :eek:

46. Born2ski

Well that's it folks. I'm sitting here at the airport waiting for our China Airlines flight home. Not a cloud in the sky at New Chitose but plenty of snow between the runways.

Time to go back to reality.......

Froff Life, Fonty, Tanuki and 2 others like this.
  47. Tanuki

Awesome, I hope you, the boy and the family have a safe trip back. It's been a great TR to folliw.
    Plus, I wish I'd known you could hire a car there. Dang, would've done a day trip to Furano.

Born2ski likes this.
  48. Fonty

Fonty Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Hope the flight home is not too uncomfortable for the boy. My boy lost 10 days snowboarding in Tomamu last year to a broken collar bone....thank god for x box Even though we are also in Tomamu, your trip report was great!!

49. Dre@mer

Dre@mer Hard Yards

@Froff Life, pretty fully loaded Fielder....3 big bags, 1 small (kids) ski bag, 4 carry on bags for 2A + 2C, each with boots, skis, poles, helmets ;)

Have a great time :)

Attached Files:

Froff Life likes this.
  50. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Wow impressive game of tetris you've mastered there! LOL. Thanks, we leave on Friday, can't wait

Dre@mer and JoeKing like this.