1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Backcountry blister? Any tips

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Andy Breaking Trail, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Andy Breaking Trail

Andy Breaking Trail Early Days

I have moulded inners for my Boots. Got them done by the best boot fitter in Europe apparently and fine when light touring. However feet get butchered with heavy pack. Tried taping, different socks, but just cant handle a pack.

Any tips for painless BC ski touring??

2. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Tape, blister blocker, lighter pack.............

If your boots have a buckle that goes over the ankle, make sure not loose when in uphill mode to reduce friction.

3. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Sometimes it's just a case of putting in the steps and hardening the feet.

There's always movement when touring. If you're releasing your top buckles, ensure your bottom buckles are holding your foot sufficiently or as Angus says try keeping your top buckles done up or loosening your top buckles slightly.

4. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Brian Wilson has this, just another vote for lots of tape methinks

5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

How do you tape @Andy Breaking Trail ?
    I get a bit weird on taping these days as it can sometimes make it worse if the tape folds or peels. Good tape, well cut, corners rounded, smoothed well flat on stretched skin, thin socks.

You could try gurney goo or a similar product as well.

6. NeckDeep

NeckDeep Hard Yards

Knowing the trouble spots in advance, then throwing on the Moleskin works for me.

7. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

Have had plenty of issues with my boots and blisters. Agree with climberman - taping carefully, and before setting out usually does the job for me. If that doesn't work, I've also found the compeed blister patches to be highly effective (though a bit pricey). Also agree that it helps to have the buckles that hold your foot down done up a bit (though for me I still have them a little looser than when I ski).

Plus what DPS driver said - allow at least 7 days hard use, maybe more before they start to feel worn in. And thin socks!

PS, the best boot footer in Europe, and you're still getting blisters?? :p

8. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Blister Block. Pre-emptive. From the chemist.

Blisters are from friction. You can mess around with tape or twin liner sox with Vaseline btwn @ the hot spot.

9. weerab

weerab One of Us

I started getting blisters last week after about half an hour, the problem is the foot moving within the boot. It,s always in the inner ankle area.

I applied gel pads to the area then made sure the boots were quite tight and I was fine. The pads are available at Coles or Chemists, the ones I use are Compeed but there are different brands. they are magic!

I always get problems with my Garmont Excursions not so much with leather boots.

if that doesn't work a young Canadian skier I met at Falls recommended peeing on my feet, apparently ice hockey guys do that. I should just say that she was suggesting I pee on my feet, she was not offering!

Angus_McCrory and Rimey like this.
  10. brett gordon

brett gordon Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

use fixomull to tape with. used it on the oxfam 100km walk with no issues. is soft pliable and molds well to the feet

11. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Compeed ftmfw.

CG had pretty bad blisters from her new touring boots in Europe, Compeed did the trick.

12. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Keep boots done up all the time works for me.

Added benefit - faster transitions.

13. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

14. firstlight

firstlight Addicted

Got a hot tip to use thin ladies silk socks under your normal socks and have had no issues fro the last 3 tours. or tape them up. Problem is you will never break your feet in if you keep using the tape.

15. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Lots, and lots, and then some more

drugs.

I have had a few nasty boots. the first pair that wrecked me were my first plakkies, the Terminator. Took two years of gritting my teeth and taping, then I got 10 years of such comfort, I once hiked 16kms to the snow in them! Then they broke, and it started again. the next pair I just gave up on. On one trip they ripped me apart, I had to modify some shoes for work, as I couldnt wear anything for a couple of weeks after, it was waaay beyond blister stage.

All the advice above is good, you kind of work out what works for you, but if you only wear them occasionally, you will not callous up, and taping etc is the only way to go.

16. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

When you say different socks can you elaborate? Are they different brands or different thickness?

Do you wear orthotics normally? Did your boot fitter creat a footbed for you?

I ask these questions as the fact the blisters only effect when touring suggests that either you are working harder when carrying a pack (not rocket science I know) which could mean either the extra weight of your pack makes your foot sit differently I.e go flat. As an example my wife's foot is half a size larger when standing. Foot beds will fix this.

The sock query is due to sweat. Sweat provides a crystal or abrasive element to rub causing blisters. I ski in long socks but tour in short socks (allow heat to escape). I use the same principle bushwalking, my socks only just go over boots.

These may not work for all but are worth trying.

17. weerab

weerab One of Us

I have just come back from a couple of days at Mt St Gwinear in Vic, skied about 8 hours over the two days. I started getting blisters at Baw Baw last week and applied Compeed gel pads. Anyway over a week later the pads are still attached, yes and I have had heaps of showers.

So after two days at Gwinear the pads are still attached and I have had no signs of any blisters. Boots were done up firmly but not too tight. Finally peeled the pads off today after nine days on!

18. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, the Compeed Blister Blocks are good gear.
    But if you know where blisters are likely to form then taping is a simple preventive measure.

19. markeaust

markeaust Hard Yards

I used to get blisters on the back of my heels, even with the old leather boots. A simple solution was 'safeway bags' folded a few times and used under the heel and stretching up towards the achilles. That solved my problem simply and cheaply. If your blisters develop in a place where this remedy is possible, it's worth a try.

Cheers,

Mark

20. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Duct tape.