Backcountry flyfishing thread

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Well, it seems enough of us flyfish so changed the thread name. I mainly fish the highcountry and think its more relevant here rather than over in the sports participation fishing thread.

Likely flying solo on my bi-annual mitta trip this October, having lost my great mate and flyfishing partner Wangers (well known hotham identity ) to friggen cancer last year.
Other regular flyfishing mate no time off that weekend also unfortunately.
Heading up anyway, last weekend of October (before it gets flogged on cup weekend) if anyone is around that way.
Usually camp around Glen Wills area

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: piolet

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Re: Flyfishing Upper Mitta Mitta in October- anyone?

Strange isnt it.... about to head down for two weeks of skiing and was already thinking much the same... i.e. looking forward to getting the fly gear out again....

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic

Angus_McCrory said:
Strange isnt it.... about to head down for two weeks of skiing and was already thinking much the same... i.e. looking forward to getting the fly gear out again....
Yep, being in horticulture I got to plan well in advance that time of year.
Have not done any bc this season either and not looking likely with housebuilding taking up all my time atm - on a mission to finish asap. Don't want winter interuptions next season!
Will need a day off by October...

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Well Im off to Charlotte on Saturday for two weeks of day trips to the main range... with the warm weather was thinking should pack MTB and fishing gear.... pity a month until the rivers here are open.

AndrewA

One of Us
Jun 26, 2012
Melbourne

It's that horrible time of year when "fly fishing " feelings start to take over from "skiing feelings". I've strugged with it for 20 + years. My suggestion is to go with the " feelings" that are about to depart, and once they're spent, enjoy the new seasons " feelings". .......,,ski while you can, fly fish when you can't.

A

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria

Been fly fishing the Ovens at Hooterville for a couple of years. A couple of bites but nothing else, should I take lessons or just give it way?

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

And heaps of insects hatching out amoungst the snow.... black spinners and black hooper patterns would be the match.....

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic

weerab said:
Been fly fishing the Ovens at Hooterville for a couple of years. A couple of bites but nothing else, should I take lessons or just give it way?
Just keep at it. If you can read a stream you are half way there, casting -maybe a lesson.
Personally, if fish are not visibly rising I just fish a small bead headed nymph or royal wulfe or both when searching.
I used to spin through my teens until about 20yo so read a stream well.
Our first exclusive trip with fly was on the upper jamieson in Vic during a hatch. We couldn't cast to save ourselves but managed a dozen fish each. Classic.

Reactions: piolet

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008

Hey plowking, I'm actually wondering if my +1 and his mate look more forward to ski or trout season these days. If you are up for nsw drop a line. They have their fisher king leader ( definite non skier but fishing guru), they plan in advance, they forgive all types of people that fish, even beginning is cool....but you have to be hard core- mountaineering, snake fighting extreme endurance may be required.,\

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

slalom pete

Hard Yards
Jun 4, 2001
nsw

Went for a drive to Dartmouth on tues and the amount of water lying around was amazing especially towards Mitta.Even the snowy creek running through the town of Eskdale had lots of white water.And with the Hume dam at 98% fishing is going to be very good for the next 8 mths.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Actually thinking of combining MTB riding with fly fishing to access gated fire trails in northern part of KNP. Anyone else used an MTB and an approach vehicle for more remote spots?

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital

Angus_McCrory said:
Actually thinking of combining MTB riding with fly fishing to access gated fire trails in northern part of KNP. Anyone else used an MTB and an approach vehicle for more remote spots?

Quite a while back I took a trip on the upper Tooma above the dam. Didn't use MTBs though. We used a Hilux (it wasn't mine).

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

Angus_McCrory said:

Yep, happy to yarn, there are plenty of options that I have done, or know of.

Day trips or o/nighters?

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

Angus M - some thoughts:
cycling is permitted on all the management trails and roads o/s the Wilderness Areas. W/in the wilderness areas, you CAN ride on the following according to the KNP PoM:

Within the Wilderness Zone, permit cycling to occur on a seasonal basis along the following management trails only:

• Cascades Trail (south to junction with Ingeegoodbee Trail - Pilot Wilderness Area);

• Dargals Trail (south to junction with Hellhole Creek Trail - Jagungal Wilderness Area);

• Grey Mare Trail (south to junction with Valentine Trail - Jagungal Wilderness Area);

• Hell Hole Creek Trail (between Dargals and Round Mountain Trails - Jagungal Wilderness Area);

• Nine Mile Trail (Pilot Wilderness Area);

• Round Mountain Trail (Jagungal Wilderness Area); and

• Valentine Trail (Jagungal Wilderness Area).

Tooma - Dargals - Hell Hole - Grey Mare - Valentine - Schlink - Guthega Power Station would take you pastt a lot of fishable water.

Happy Jacks Road from the Cabra road also takes you towards the upper Tumut and Happy Jacks creek areas, which have good water / fish, above Happy Jacks pondage.

All the AAWT is cyclable.

Little Tolbar and Big Tolbar would be fun to fish as well, off the Tolbar Rd. A packraft and bike would get you across from Providence pretty easily...

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

cm... was thinking glamping from back of 4X4 and using MTBs to access via management trails areas that would be a PITA to walk to. Those areas mentioned above is exactly the area I was thinking of; small stream fishing with a 7' / 3 weight.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

ooh, lovely.

Head of the Tooma track is great, the one E of the dam. Even has as dunny. Tooma above the dam is lovely. Stick caddis down deep for early season is my hot tip.... 'bout #10-12.

A few boys in my club have used bikes to access HJ's creek above the pondage, but did camp o/night.

Up from the Gungarlin to the Burrungabuggee is lovely too, or to the B. via Snowy Adit off from the Snowy, below Island Bend (only a few k's but uphill for the approach), Might be better mid summer, it's higher and cooler than the Gungarlin. A really pretty stream though.

The gorge above the Snowy / inlet portal on the Gungarlin is kinda wonderful as well. Pools with fiesty little 'bows, maybe with the occasional lunker brown around.

ians 158

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 15, 2006
melbourne

Victorian rivers open at midnight tonight,i'm heading to Splitfest but i think i will also pack the rod.

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic

tbnext said:
Hey plowking, I'm actually wondering if my +1 and his mate look more forward to ski or trout season these days. If you are up for nsw drop a line. They have their fisher king leader ( definite non skier but fishing guru), they plan in advance, they forgive all types of people that fish, even beginning is cool....but you have to be hard core- mountaineering, snake fighting extreme endurance may be required.,\
Thanks for the offer. When I finally finish building my house I intend to do a lot of fishing.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Would be in if allowed out. Did have fun throwing a fly into the creeks around Charlotte Pass back in January. Even got a pair of waders for +0.95 (Mk III)

Reactions: VSG

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
There is now a fishing tackle shop in Omeo. He is a top class Fly fisher and hope he can make a go of it out there. Flies are half the price of Melbourne. Stock will improve this spring but was a bit low when I called in. Prices on other gear very competitive for a country town. Orvis mostly and Stalker range of rods. I will give Josh a plug but I have not affiliation. He was a stone mason at Dinner Plain previously so some may know him already. Big River Fishing and Outdoors. Google for phone number and FB pages. Make sure you search Omeo as there is another in the US.

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
There is now a fishing tackle shop in Omeo. He is a top class Fly fisher and hope he can make a go of it out there. Flies are half the price of Melbourne. Stock will improve this spring but was a bit low when I called in. Prices on other gear very competitive for a country town. Orvis mostly and Stalker range of rods. I will give Josh a plug but I have not affiliation. He was a stone mason at Dinner Plain previously so some may know him already. Big River Fishing and Outdoors. Google for phone number and FB pages. Make sure you search Omeo as there is another in the US.
I hope he survives the current tourism drought. The shop looks good on the website.

Reactions: climberman

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I hope he survives the current tourism drought. The shop looks good on the website.

Just sorted out some new wading boots today with him. Stock is getting up and a good range of flies now too. Will be getting a new 3 wt setup this season. Lots of people around over the weekend. Mostly people out fishing but I still think the water has another week to drop to a good level. Clear though. Fish are being caught but I have not wet a line. This week will see that change.

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
Just sorted out some new wading boots today with him. Stock is getting up and a good range of flies now too. Will be getting a new 3 wt setup this season. Lots of people around over the weekend. Mostly people out fishing but I still think the water has another week to drop to a good level. Clear though. Fish are being caught but I have not wet a line. This week will see that change.
3wt know your talking. Going for a long one or a short twig xplora?

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
Have a 7' 3wt, is a nice little bit of kit for small streams.
Good handy length for tight streams. I have a 8'6" 3wt and a 6'' 6" 2 weight I made myself. The home made is ok but the Sage 3wt is better.

Many edits later I'm a :goose:

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass