1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Backcountry guided (group) tours - Niseko

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M1sh4, Nov 27, 2019.

1. M1sh4

M1sh4 First Runs

Hi! are there any guide companies in Niseko that put together guided group backcountry tours? I reached out to a few of the big names (black diamond, rising sun, others) and they seem to only offer private guided group tours. At 75,000yen / private tour this is a bit out of the budget for me and my partner as we would like to do more than one tour on our trip. Does anyone know of a company that organizes group tours for like 4-5 people at a lower price / person?

Thanks!

2. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Perhaps they have stopped doing it but last year Black Diamond were putting a group together at one days notice if they had a spare guide. However if you want some reliability its best to try to put together a group of friends. Four is a good number to reduce the per person cost and not be too crowded on the snow and in the van.

If you have not already booked your accommodation you might also look at the group tours done by Whiteroom Tours.

3. Any

Any One of Us

i dont know of any sorry.
    i think it'd be hard for a company to make a mixed group. im certainly no pro athlete, but i still wouldnt want to pay $ and be stuck with jerry on his first day backcountry, zero fitness in a cubical all year, with heavy alpine boots, rental frame bindings and skis, and worn out skins. at least on a mixed cat ski day jerry only costs you a minute or two per run when they crash in pow.
    having said that, ive joined many impromptu mixed touring groups and haven't met jerry yet ... wait ... maybe i am jerry!

perhaps you can find some like minded people to join you tho? post here for some sort of meetup, on some of the facebook groups like miss snow it all's japan group for a broader international range?

otherwise mixed group cat skiing perhaps, its expensive tho. parspowderparadise uses snowmobiles instead, is about 1/2 the price. ive only done one day with them, but i think 2 days would be the upper limit of their terrain variety.

tugboat, Hyst and LMB like this.
  4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

* wot he said

I’ve been fortunate to be offered to make mixed groups with HME every now and again, but that’s because they know us and where we are at and would gel well with a smaller group (also known) wanting to share the cost.

It’s a bit tricky if you’re unknown to them to make mixed groups, so many people misjudge their own ability and skills.

Cat ski groups or making your own larger group would be your best bet.

5. M1sh4

M1sh4 First Runs

Thanks all!... I guess it makes sense why companies don't do mixed groups.. I didn't think of potentially getting an out of shape jerry.. I assume everyone who pays this much money for a guided BC tour would be prepare for it haha.

I will put some feelers out in hopes of putting together a group of 4.

Cheers.

6. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Black Diamond do multi day trips like the power trips..... 8 days on the run. Awesome trips but need to bring your fitness and A game and be ready to burn the candle at both ends. Few years back i did a mixed group day trip with Black Diamond out the back of Kiroro. I was a single and joined another group of 3 guys. It will be a mater of ringing them when you over there and they will join with another group or put you on a wait list. My experience with BD has been excellent and heading back again early Jan for another Power Trip.

7. schaton

schaton First Runs

hskiclub.com . might be what you are looking for.

If you need another skier to put together a group to do a day of backcountry out of Niseko (or Rusutsu, Kiroro), I am interested. I am 53 years old fit expert skier (5+ weeks of skiing a year) and I will be in Niseko the whole month of Jan with my 13 yo son, who will be in ski lessons most days.

8. Any

Any One of Us

id be careful of hskiclub.com sounds like a scam to me. real dodgy people.
    nah, they're good friends.

still need to make your own group tho right?