1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Backcountry Setup Weight

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Team Weasel, Apr 13, 2020.

1. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

For all those AT/backcountry skiers on full rocker skis - thank a snowboarder. We had reverse camber for about 10 years before someone decided to try it on skis.

Chaeron, Jacko4650 and telecrag like this.
  2. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Haha, I had several pairs of K2's with inserts, and the comment, so easy even a snowboarder can use them.

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

And for all those snowboarders with reverse camber skis, thank water skiers...............

Chaeron and nezumi like this.
  4. nezumi

And surfers!

Chaeron likes this.
  5. mholling

mholling One of Us

Cool, very interesting setup! Would love to hear more; what type of trips would you do on those?

6. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

uggghh
    full rocker touring sticks
    please no
    especially here

telenomore and CarveMan like this.
  7. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Pilot bindings are super light, designed for skating skis, right? Can't imagine they would give much control in ungroomed snow, but maybe with the right skill set, such a set up could be fun.

8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

telenomore, Spence and skifree like this.
  9. nezumi

While that has been observed, there's no direct connection between the skis used by those peoples and modern skis. It's essentially analogous to convergent evolution for technological development.

It's the same as saying that snowboarding started in Turkey over 400 years ago: https://www.snowboarder.com/transwo...an-turkey-snowboarding-heritage-petran-board/. It's a nice fiction, and some very cool history, but in terms of the actual development of the activity as we know it, the two aren't related (unless Sherman Poppen/Jake Butron-Carpenter/Tom Sims secretly travelled to Turkey and brought this concept back with them).

10. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

You know they did but you are just part of the cover up now.

#60 skifree, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  11. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

I haven't as yet, but will do at some point. I don't have a heap of photos, but some.

Home at 1600m for a week in Feb.

12. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

and if you use Spark's you can easily drop another 200g - or more off that.

nezumi likes this.
  13. nezumi

I wasn't able to readily find weights for Sparks unfortunately. Most of that info came from an older thread on a splitboarding forum where they were, appropriately, lamenting the lack of published component weights by manufacturers for splitboarders. As they noted, it's all well and good to market a lighter board, but without a fair basis for comparison how are we to know what the difference in weight is relative to the price?

skifree likes this.
  14. skifree

Which is one reason I weigh my own stuff and go into the shop and weigh other stuff.

15. nezumi

I'm a big fan of using LighterPack for my gear loadouts for hiking/bikepacking/etc. It would just be nice to have a community curated database a la Weight Weenies for snow gear, especially if it means that manufacturer claims can be tested.

16. skifree

Well best you will get here is a photo of something on scales in the various specific threads.

We could do a specific thread just for such pictures. I'll look into starting this over the weekend when I'm home rather than working, on lunch break now.

As for setting up a something something database, needs more it than I/m gunna find.

Chaeron likes this.
  17. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

yeah I am basing this comment of my recent efforts of weighing a full karakoram setup, vs a full Spark setup, and the sparks came in just over 200g lighter. It was an older set of karakorams. but full carbon bindings, vs a VERY old set of sparks with one a bit of mish mash of voile and spark gear, i know the newer spark gear is less, let alone the "Pro" model binding which seem to be about 100g lighter too.

nezumi likes this.
  18. satanas

satanas Addicted

CarveMan likes this.
  19. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Zeroz likes this.
  20. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Another SH tangent folks.
    Funny with the weights of gear - skis in particular and BC / lightweight skis esp. - I wonder if brands bring out their latest and greatest light model, promote the light weight, then quietly add metal/carbon etc...so to add performance, but not flag the increase in weight?

I certainly can prove it. It’s just a hunch. Blizzard have semi done this with their Rustlers, namely their 10 model; which Was a bit bouncy in crud at speed and had abt 200g of stabilisation added to each ski. So a a better ski but less of a 50:50 in/out ski, more on piste.

I believe Backland 107s crept up by a 100g or so per ski last year but at ~ 1650g for a 182 seem pretty damn light for the width & overall ability.

BD turned their super light Helio into a Recon and added about ~ 1 kg per pair. At least that was called a different model so not hiding the fact.

Any thoughts & experiences?

(It would be handy to have the weight listed against each ski length rather just one at best).

Team Weasel and Chaeron like this.
  21. satanas

satanas Addicted

The Pilot bindings have two bars, one at the front of the boot, and one several cm further back. They give a surprising amount of control, parallels are easy on suitable snow, even on skating skis. The boots have a carbon sole, heel counter and (minimal) cuff, so are very torsionally rigid, at least comparable to some leather touring/tele boots, and stiffer than many. The skis are quite narrow too, 92/67/82, and only 160cm long, and very light. In average spring snow - wet to firmish, but not bulletproof - they should do well for quick trips covering lots of ground, but it's definitely not going to be the setup for heavy, deep snow; I have other gear for that. They can't possibly be worse than 210cm wooden skis, 3-pin bindings and below the ankle leather slippers, and I survived on those BITD... ;-)

Chaeron likes this.
  22. skifree

The pilot system is designed/ optimised for skate skiing. Anything else you are pushing the gear to it’s limits. That’s certainly not to say don’t do it.

23. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

And rocker in snowboards wasnt related to the development of rocker in skis. Rocker in skis started when McConkey noticed that his Volant Chubbs skied better after he'd bent them than they did normally. He then mounted up a pair of water skis and after that worked with Volant on the Spatula which was first sold in 2002.
    Without skiing technology snowboarding would still be Petran. Without telemarking we wouldn't even be turning down the hill without the aid of a lurk.

#73 Telemark Phat, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Zeroz, telenomore, telecrag and 2 others like this.
  24. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

@Chaeron Could you summarise? I've gone off Blister. Some good content obscured by Jonathan Ellsworth's ego.

There's also a pretty good discussion on TGR about how heavy your touring rig is. I'm looking at body weight percentage now, and I realised my magic number is 12%. Any setup I've tried that's more than 12% of my body weight has been too much for the volume of touring I like to do.

Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  25. Spence

Spence One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As a noob to backcountry skiing , can I ask if the 10-12% rule of thumb weight guide includes pack and avi gear or skis, bindings and boots?
    And skins? Thanks.

26. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Good question. I think it's more about the amount of weight at your extremities - so skis, boots, bindings and skins.

But yeah, lighter packs and gear in general ain't a bad thing!

Chaeron and Spence like this.
  27. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

So I could get heavier gear!

Chaeron, skifree, Fozzie Bear and 2 others like this.
  28. Fozzie Bear

I have tried this. Problem is when you try to downsize again.............

29. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ok, I get it, but I am just lost on the side trip of weight and percentages. So for a slightly more contrarian view. Speaking as a self described dinosaur, might I add, but the only outdoor gear weight I actually look at before making a decision is on my bikes. I take weight into account with ski gear but it is just one factor and I have never actually weighed skis or ski gear, that I have used. This is where it pays to feel and hold the ski before buying so you can get the full picture of that particular ski. Flex, camber, side cut, dimensions, rocker (pretty paint job even!) and of course weight when you actually pick it up. Factor all of that in, not just weight. Sure, light is fun, but, you have to factor in a few other issues. Skill set and fitness being at top of the criteria IMO. What terrain and snow conditions are you heading into mostly? Its not a race (unless it is of course, then go light as possible). As an example and in my case, I love the DPS Wailer 112 series skis as I do most of my skiing these days in Hokkaido backcountry. For AT with pin bindings, the Wailer 112 Pure seemed the goods and it is a great ski but so light that when I ski it, it feels flighty underfoot. So for me, the slightly heavier DPS Alchemist is my go to. I loved them on the first run, which, by the way, was after a two hour climb. Whether it is the design, the weight, my abilities or style, it just feels bloody good under foot in super soft and most importantly, variable or chopped up snow conditions. It feels like it can punch through anything and still float with the best of them. For me, a very happy trade off. Also I would add, its not just the down that you have to consider, climbing technique is critical to reducing physical output. Somewhere in this thread there is a mention of how you lose a percentage of power based on boots/skis/skins/binding combined weight. Sounds fair, but into the equation you have to add this. Are you lifting with each forward step and how high? (which I see so many times) or are you more sliding just above the friction co-efficient of your skins? How do you adapt your technique when it gets steeper (Slide Vs lift)? and what is your kick turn ability on steep terrain when using either tele or AT bindings. I've seen quite a few people go to pieces and get very tired when technique is not up to scratch. All of that comes into play IMO. If speed and racing is your got to, then I would also say, look at all criteria and get the best light weight solution that also meets those other criteria.

30. Fozzie Bear

Horses for courses? When earning turns, you are usually on the backcountry, so you are skiing far more conservatively; you have no ski patrol to pick up the pieces. So ski performance is not as critical.

When I'm skiing in bounds, I'm as often or not on a pair of race skis and beefy alpine boots. Inbounds, my performance criteria are different.

31. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Blister shits me in that they don’t pay enough attention to the fat part of the curve in the skiing market. They’re all young, fit, aggressive strong skiers who like skiing fast on long skis, and in terms of the skiing population that represents a small slice, and an even smaller slice in Australia. The ski length thing particularly shits me. We sell very few skis over 184cm but if you took Blister as gospel you’d be deciding between 184 and 189 lengths of a ski, whereas in reality for your average adult male in our shop buying an all-mountain ski you’re deciding between the 172cm and 179cm models.

And as for touring, I far prefer Wildsnow content. Even though the ski test in Italy didn’t go ahead I’m really happy one of our guys from the shop came to Europe just to see what gets used in the mountains on a daily basis and how hard it gets skied. It’s much much lighter than what a lot of the marketing we’re getting here in Australia leads you to believe what you should be touring on.

I haven’t listened to the Blister podcast but just by them comparing the Duke PT, Shift, Kingpin and Daymaker etc, they’re all in the ‘too heavy to tour properly on’ basket.

The problem is that people want one rig to do everything, and from a financial perspective that’s fair enough, but as I’ve posted before it’s like Homer Simpson ruining 2 perfectly good jackets....

This is huge for me, I was having a beer once with one of the Vicpol SAR members who was recounting a rescue on Bogong of a dude who broke his femur and the weather meant you couldn’t get a chopper in.

satanas, Chaeron, skifree and 3 others like this.
  32. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Yeah, definite factor. Along with route selection. I feel like the heavier gear really reminds you to be efficient in every possible way.

Yep. It's pretty silly (evidence below). I am liking how Wildsnow is diversifying their reviewers, but I'd be even more keen on a Euro publication/site that has really good quality reviews. Anyone know of any?

telenomore and Chaeron like this.
  33. CarveMan

That’s another thing about American sites, in the US the skin tracks are way too steep and consequently they bang on about heel risers way too much.

satanas, snowgum, Chaeron and 3 others like this.
  34. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

LOL

Am also in agreement re the ski lengths. especially for touring gear where there's almost always a good reason to drop a size when compared with a skiers' typical on-piste ski length.

35. Spence

Thanks for all of the above input guys. I do read the Blister reviews but I have also thought to myself before that they aren't talking to the 5-10 day a season (OS if lucky) skier. They all seem like very capable athletic skiers. Not middle aged average fitness types (speaking for myself of course).

36. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Yes.

37. skifree

If we could have this luxury.

telenomore and Chaeron like this.
  38. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, Blister's model is interesting. They want $60 p.a. for a membership, $200 for Premier, $50 gear guide, etc.
    26 yr old ex racers aren't likely big buyers of that.
    To be anything but a tiny niche they need to go where the market and money is. I presume they see this as very uncool.

To be fair to Blister podcast, they said these weren't for committed tourers who would be asking WTF for even mentioning these for touring. For example, they said the Duke PT would suit 90/10 inbound/sidecountry.
    At 41 mins there's a 60 second summary of their approach to bindings.

39. CarveMan

Nobody ever went broke marketing to the majority of their market. I like to geek out on super light tech bindings, but mid-priced all-mountain skis are what fuels that fetish.

40. Spence

So a set up that I like the sound of is:
    Black Crows Camox Freebird
    Fritschi Tecton binding
    Tecnica Zero Tour Pro boot
    Contour Hybrid skins
    From what I have been reading all this kit has good reviews. I believe that you got some time in on the Zero G and Camox FB CarveMan? I recall you saying good things about them. Does this combination make sense for Aus? I know it's not the lightest but it seems like a reasonable compromise between uphill and downhill performance (I admit that I think like a skier not a hiker so I know my bias is towards downhill performance)

41. Chaeron

They tee off on frame bindings, reckon the Marker PT is heavy & finnicky with detachable toe-pieces but the higher DIN justifies its existence ; they like it’s horizontal resetting between modes as opposed to the Shift’s up and down mode change lever, they prefer the Shift over the Marker PT for reliability, but point out that both these are not optimal for skinning. Alpine heel for shredders is a good element, but they still prefer tech-toe AT bindings for the up. They like the Tectons etc. but are essentially only talking up the newer models.

Too true- Lots of ego, hot air, hedging so not to alienate manufacturers but still staying true to the gnarly cult of big days out with sturdy, lightweight gear.

Nothing besides the obvious really, dressed up as inside knowledge on the latest gear based on lots of epic days out on the field with awesome dudes.

But, I suppose if listening to podcasts about ski bindings are one’s thing then they have an audience...

telenomore, Team Weasel and CarveMan like this.
  42. Chaeron

One does better out of the BC forum than Blister... and @CarveMan - you pretty much have the issue wrt. Blister down pat...

43. skifree

You could forma group, buy bunch of different bindings, establish a library & let members of said library take the bindings and try them out.

44. CarveMan

Tecton too heavy IMO.

We prefer the Tecton with the Navis Freebird, we reckon that’s a really well balanced setup with a boot like an Atomic XTD or a Zero G. I had G3 IONs on my Navis Freebirds but the Tecton weighs the same at ~600g and has it beat feature-wise due to lateral toe release and alpine heel so if I was doing it again I’d go Tecton. We sell quite a few Navis / Tecton rigs as they hit a bit of a sweet spot for free-touring performance, despite being a bit heavy. My rig before the Navis that I did a lot of touring on inc multiple Bogong / Feathertop / Main Range trips + Europe inc doing the Haute Route was a Line Sick Day Tourist + G3 ION - pretty much identical dimensions and weight. Good performance if you don’t mind the weight but in future I’ll probably do that sort of stuff on my Camox.

Camox is better with a G3 Zed (what I used) or a Fritschi Xenic, Marker Alpinist, ATK Crest etc - bindings around the 300g mark. Zero G was a good match but you could go lighter if you wanted to, ie Backland Carbon. When I was in Europe 2 of the crew we were with rented Camox, one had Alpinists and another had Xenics.

Haven’t toured in Australia on it yet but I can’t see any reason why I wouldn’t love it.

A mate of mine that I sold a Navis / Tecton rig to just jumped on a Camox / Xenic rig for his fiancée who was over the weight of her Blizzard Sheeva / Shift setup.

45. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Got that exact setup in my room right now, ready for inserts when they arrive.

I do like the extra retention and power transfer of the Tecton - I feel it's sometimes worth the 500g or so more than an ATK/Xenic/Alpinist.

However, it's only an issue in firm or bumpy conditions I find. If you ski slower/lock the toe/avoid sheet ice, traditional tech bindings are really good for 95% of us. And inserts mean I can choose which setup to run:

Camox FB, Tecton, ZGTP = 7.18kg
    Camox FB, ATK, Alien RS = 5.69kg

There is something fun about skiing on stupid light gear sometimes - you can feel like you're working hard without even needing to go very fast!

46. snowgum

Hi CM, just wondering if you follow Chairlift Chat / Ski Essentials at all?

I find Jeff fairly entertaining and a bit more down to earth than some chestbeaters on tape.

The handy thing is being in Vermont, they get their share of firm days to test their product.

Spence and Annabuzzy like this.
  47. snowgum

Oh & Jeff at ~ 5’10” / 178 & fairly slight makes a change from the 6’3” 190+ cm ex racer dudes on the video test circuit.

Chaeron likes this.
  48. snowgum

Shameless bump for my own benefit here!
    Talking lighter weight gear - has anyone seen the Wildsnow test for the Atomic Backland 100 yet?

https://www.wildsnow.com/27881/atomic-backland-100-review-the-spring-ski/

at < 1,400g for a 180 cm 100m waist touring ski - it looks like something worth considering? - however there’s few tests and even Atomic don’t list on their website - any country - which I find weird.

My recent review of touring skis (Capt. Obvious perhaps?); is that they tend to fall into the skinnier, lighter uphill focussed models (some of which are good in firm, icy conditions) and the wider, more 50:50 models than way around 2kg+, which might surf pow & spring corn easily but struggle on firm & crud.

Oh for a light ist 100mm tour ski than candle OZ / exposed Alpine hardpack but cope with some fresh.
    Dreaming perhaps or just deluded? (Ie. an Aussie tour ski that I could take to Japan without sinking?) (;-)

Chaeron likes this.
  49. CarveMan

I don’t really listen to podcasts, due to not much idle time commuting or whatever. I do wish people would transcribe them though I realise that will never happen.

Chaeron likes this.
  50. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Chaeron, telenomore and skifree like this.