1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Baggage charges for ski equipment Qantas vs Emirates

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Peanut, May 19, 2019.

1. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Hi all,

I've been a bit lax about booking flights for our annual NZ ski trip this year due to a slowdown on work until recently.

Our plan for this year is a bit different to previous years in that after spending 8 days in Queenstown, we're going to drive up to Christchurch and spend a couple of days there before flying back to Sydney. I've already booked a Sydney - Queenstown flight with Jetstar. Even with having to pay extra for oversized baggage for the ski bags, they still came in nearly $1K cheaper than any other airline for a family of four. I'm not expecting anything fancy, but I figure we don't need it for a 3 hour flight.

My question is for the return trip. At the moment, I am looking at a Qantas/Emirates codeshare flight, as the price is reasonable, and it leaves at 6pm local time, giving us a good chunk of that day to spend in Christchurch. I found the info for travelling with sporting equipment on both airline's websites to be a tad confusing, especially on the Emirates website. There also didn't seem to be an option to pre pay an oversized baggage surcharge, and I don't really want to get stung with an excessive fee at the airport. Has anyone flown with ski equipment on either of these airlines and know what the policy is from experience? For info, my ski bag is 160cm long, and hubby's is 190cm long because he is a giant and needs stupidly long skis.

2. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

QF and Emirates are both full service airlines. You should be fine. I've flown to Europe with Emirates on a QF codeshare (Emirates aircraft, QF flightnumber). Had 2 pairs of race skis (including 205cm Super G skis) and no problems.

Heinz likes this.
  3. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It just counts as part of your luggage on a Qantas and Emirates. So as long as your aren’r over weight limit you are fine. I regularly travel with 190cm bag weighing 30kg and all good.

Peanut likes this.
  4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I flown both Qantas and Emirates with skis - no issues at all. Both have a 30kg allowance and skis are included in that. Jetstar would more likely be the problem in that regard.

Peanut likes this.
  5. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Thanks for your reply. I’ll go ahead and book it then. :)

6. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Yeah, I’ve heard that Jetstar are more likely to be the problem, which is why I was very careful to make sure I included everything I wanted (e.g. meals, baggage, etc) when I booked it. The last couple of times we’ve been to NZ we’ve flown with Air New Zealand, but with having left it so late to book flights, and flying out from a different airport to our arrival point, I’m just going with whatever is the best deal at this point.

7. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just remember that Ski and snowboard bags are Oversized Luggage, which means you may have to check them through a special oversized baggage counter. If you only have carry on bags thereafter it can be a crowd-avoiding bonus as I've never experienced a waiting line on either check-in or pick up of ski bags; rather civilised actually.

8. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

You haven't? I'd say that if you've traveled a bit, you've been extremely lucky then.

9. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I haven't flown much for the last two seasons, but a lot more prior to that. Happy to call it luck. Main "lucky" airports were Munich, Vienna, Venice, Prague ex Brisbane, so not sure if its as good in Japow, USA, Canada etc.

10. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Landing in Sydney/Melbourne I can't recall not having a long wait for oversize baggage. On occasion it doesn't show up at all and you get it delivered a day or two later.

11. Heinz

Not so many people flying in to those locations with skis at any one time. Europeans if flying will fly to an airport closer to a resort or else go by rail/road.

I did have a fair wait for my skis in Munich this March (from Dubai). Mine were the only skis on board, but it appears as though they were the every last item unloaded.

Go somewhere there are a large number of skiers on a flight eg. into Queenstown or Chitose or Sydney coming back from Queenstown and it is quite a different story. I recall Sydney last year had one guy bring out the gear and wouldn't let anyone into the area until he had unloaded all of them. There were some unhappy punters.

#11 Heinz, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Jacko4650 and azzski like this.
  12. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I flew with a ski bag last year and only had one person in front of me at the oversized baggage drop off at Sydney, and my bag was waiting for me at Queenstown when I got to the collection point. It was even easier coming back. This year we will have two ski bags and two other checked bags between four of us. All non-ski clothing and helmets go in our carry-on.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  13. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Possibly depends on the time of day. We flew into Sydney in the late afternoon last year and didn’t have a wait.

14. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just a follow up question. Got a Qantas flight to Wellington. Myself, +1 and two kids. Each of us taking a backpack. And myself with a ski bag. We each have 30kg of luggage allowance. I've got the option according to Qantas of purchasing extra luggage allowance, which notionally would be to cover the ski bag ($140 each way, so not cheap). But is this generally necessary or do the check in folk tend to be "accepting" of an extra item etc. Or are they rigid in their rule enforcement?

15. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Never found Qantas to be pedantic.
    Whereas Jetstar its part of their business model to charge as much as possible for baggage.

16. Heinz

I don't quite understand. You all have a 30kg allowance so that means 120kg in total. Surely you wont have more than 120kg between you all including the skis? Shouldn't be any need to purchase extra.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  17. teleroo

Thanks @Heinz. It isn't the combined luggage mass that will be the problem. Rather, the five checked bags for four passengers. Will Qantas likely tolerate an extra bag as long as the aggregate weight is below 120kg (which it most certainly will be).

18. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Are you saying you can have one bag per person to a max of 30kg per bag?

19. gareth_oau

Either way, you should be able to stuff 120kg into 4 bags

20. teleroo

Weight limits are no problem, we'll easily be under weight. Just trying to interpret Qantas's baggage rules for my ski bag (which will be in addition to my backpack). Are QF generally ok with ski bag plus regular bag for a passenger as long as under 30kg on flights to NZ?
    Checked bags will be:
    Me= bag + ski bag (hoping not to have to purchase additional baggage allowance for ski bag).
    Wife=bag
    Kid1=bag
    Kid2=bag

21. gareth_oau

You have to look at your ticket conditions and determine if you are permitted one or two bags per person

teleroo likes this.
  22. Heinz

Should do, though can't say how it works for a group. I travel on my own, have a regular checked bag, plus a ski bag which total well under 30kgs (bag drop issues are another matter though). Qantas is 30kgs per person. No limit on number of pieces.

teleroo likes this.
  23. Heinz

If any one bag plus the ski bag together is under 30 kgs then no problem at all. Just have to take it to the oversized check in desk.

teleroo likes this.
  24. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am pretty sure you are OK with that on Qantas, but their website is a bit ambiguous. Just checked the last flight I booked with them and the baggage allowance was 30 kg and no mention of the number of pieces.

teleroo likes this.
  25. teleroo

Yes agreed on the ambiguity aspect wrt number of pieces. That, in conjunction with a friendly check in bod is what I'm hoping to slide through on...

26. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

No specific help for NZ but just flew QF to Chile and had boot bag, ski bag and suitcase and was under limit of 30kg all up and they were fine. I have also flown to NZ with one coffin ski bag at 29.9kg and they were fine too.

teleroo likes this.
  27. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

I would talk to Qantas , its usually 30-kg or 2 x 23kgs. We are flying to Canada on Jetsar and Japan Airlines, 2 x 23kgs all the way
    Jetstar have accepted 7 bags for 5 of us from Bne to Tokyo. Still have to check the skis with Japan but don't expect a problem.

28. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve never had a problem with Qantas having the weight spread over multiple bags. In fact when checking in with an unrelated travel group (ie: not family, but travelling together, even if ticketed separately) Qantas and Cathay have happily used my excess luggage allowance to cover those that were over.

However PB did a check in for Korean Air a few weeks ago, well and truly under weight but spread across 3 duffle bags, and they weren’t too pleased as they have lower bag limits (he was travelling business to get the higher limits). They let him through at Chitose but warned him he may not be so lucky coming home from Kathmandu. Although I half expect him to shed some gear as gifts to the Sherpas on completion anyway, so might not be a problem. (Need a new set of crampons for each 8000er apparently, so they won’t come home at a minimum).

29. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

No problem w Qantas or Arab airlines .
    Jetstar however will do anything it can to make extra money out of baggage.

30. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

In July we flew to NZ and back on Jetstar with 4 sets of skis in 2 large bags, not a single extra charge. We were flying on Qantas rewards tickets, maybe that made a difference.

31. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Probably was a QF Flight number on your tickets even though were on Jetstar metal.

Similar to my flight to Europe this year. Emirates aircraft but I'm ticketed on a QF flight number. As Q club I get a 42kg allowance, rather than 30kg.

LMB likes this.
  32. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

As I said Qantas no problem.
    Going to Tassie w mtbikes , Jetstar $40 for the weight + $25 handling = $65 each way.

LMB likes this.
  33. teleroo

QF Syd to Wellington NZ. 4 passengers, five bags including one ski bag. No extra charges.