1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Bairnsdale to Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Prokasaurus, May 19, 2013.

1. Prokasaurus

Prokasaurus Hard Yards

Hey guys, for travelling from Bairnsdale, Vic to Thredbo, what do you think is the best road to take.

Google says take the Monaro Highway, but Snowy River Road/Barry Way and the Bonang Highway seem to cut large distances off the trip.

I understand the Snowy River Road/Barry Way is not sealed for a fair portion of the way, but that really shouldn't be much of an issue. What will obviously be an issue is if this road isn't open during the winter. I cant really find conclusive info on this just on google, so does anyone know if this road is open during the winter?

As for the Bonang Highway; sealed and cutting a nice distance off the trip, does anyone know any reasons to not take this road (coming from Bairnsdale) as opposed to the Monaro Highway?

Thanks in Advance!

2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Re: Bairsdale to Thredbo

Barry Way is open through winter. It's fine as it doesn't go high.

Never heard of the Bonang Highway, sorry.

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I recall the Bonang as a good road with a bit of dirt. Never particularly narrow or precipitous. We did it on motorbikes a few years ago when the wind on the Monaro was threatening to blow us into oncoming traffic. I'm not sure how much quicker it would be. I suspect there could be a lot of critters from dusk to dawn.

not sure about winter status but I'm guessing it would be ok. I don't think it ever gets much higher than Bombala where it joins the Monaro. If there was a really big dump down to low levels, I suppose it might be closed for a while and would be a lower priority than other roads

Barry Way is both (fun road but best regarded as the "scenic route" rather than a short cut). I would not be keen on doing it in wet conditions.

4. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yeah, the Bonang is OK, but I don't know if it actually saves any time. Stick to the Monaro.

5. Prokasaurus

Prokasaurus Hard Yards

Thanks heaps guys!

6. Azz

Azz One of Us

Hey mate,
    We leave from Bairnsdale / Lakes Entrance area. We have found the easiest trip is straight up the A1 to Cann River, then Bombala, turn off 10 mins out past there, onto the Snowy River Way and head to Dalgety then come into Jindabyne from the Station direction. Takes around five hours.

The Barry is great, my preferred route. You have about 1 hour of gravel. No problems with snow, but if there has been recent rains, it can get slippery.
    I wouldn't choose to head that way if not in a 4x4, but thats just me in my old age. 20 years ago in my Kingswood I never though twice about it and the gravel started just out of Buchan. 4 - 4.5 hours.

If you are not in a hurry, heading up to Omeo then Benambra, Corryong, Khancoban then across to Thredbo is a great drive, but can be subject to snow. Not sure on drive time. 5-6 hours maybe.