Advice needed Banff Accommodation 2021

Rocky2.0

First Runs
Jan 12, 2020
Dear all,

Having skied annually in Japan for the last 5 years, we are thinking of branching out and trying Banff (and surrounds) in early-mid Jan 2021

I was hoping some frequent visitors and/or locals may have some advice regarding:

1. Getting to Banff from Vancouver with ski bags. Is it easiest to rent a car from Edmonton or Calgary, or bus from Vancouver etc etc?

2. Any accommodation options for a group of 4 (two couples). Open to cabins/villas/apartments.

Accommodation is certainly the topic I'm seeking the most advice on, but any tid bits or suggestions would also be appreciated. I find that not having been to a place, it is always difficult to get a feel for layout/proximity/price etc

Thanks in advance :)

(If these have been addressed in another thread, would be grateful for a link)!

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Fly into Calgary, rent a car. Under 2 hours to Banff town in normal conditions. Shuttle buses etc are pretty good in this area, but lots more options with non-ski activities if you have a vehicle. You're in a national park, things are spread out. Western Canada in general is pretty awful for public transport, almost everything is structured around private vehicles.

zac150

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
We stayed at the moose country hotel in Banff, pretty handy, easy to walk into town and just near the supermarket.

The rooms were nice but the kitchen was on the small side so really on suitable for pre cooked meals etc. Which was fine as you could get some great stuff from the supermarket.

We had a car which made it easy to get to the various ski hill options, I can’t comment on the bus to the hills apart from noting the queues in the morning seemed big.

Reactions: Rocky2.0

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
I’ll second the Moose. Lovely hotel, spacious rooms, and good for a family. As @zac150 said, the only downside is the lack of real kitchen facilities. There is a fridge, sink, and microwave so we got hot food from the IGA just down the road and re-heated it (plus we ate at the restaurant downstairs one evening which was good). We had a car and used this for sightseeing; Johnson Canyon icewalk, Lake Louise itself (separate to the ski resort), and the iconic Fairmont Chateau in Banff. For skiing, we took the shuttle buses. These were free if you had the Big 3 lift pass which gets you into Sunshine, Lake Louise, and Norquay. Very convenient too. Loved Banff - so scenic! Ice skating and the sleigh ride at Lake Louise were up there with my favourite activities.

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
I stayed here in September. Highly recommend B & B two blocks from Downtown, CAN $60-$65, bathroom just outside your room.

175_1.jpg

175_8.jpg

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Vancouver to Banff is a looong drive which could be done over 2 days.

But you have 2 major mountain passes so lucky if you dont get snow delays on one or both.

A very nice drive but if you are pressed for time, better to fly into Calgary and drive orbus from there to Banff

Hoodie

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2018
We stayed at the moose country hotel in Banff, pretty handy, easy to walk into town and just near the supermarket.

The rooms were nice but the kitchen was on the small side so really on suitable for pre cooked meals etc. Which was fine as you could get some great stuff from the supermarket.

We had a car which made it easy to get to the various ski hill options, I can’t comment on the bus to the hills apart from noting the queues in the morning seemed big.

Hi Zac, we are doing the same next year, how did you (and Lady P) book the Moose, did you go direct, use a accom website or use a travel agent?

zac150

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Hi Zac, we are doing the same next year, how did you (and Lady P) book the Moose, did you go direct, use a accom website or use a travel agent?

I just checked old emails which suggest I booked direct I.e didn’t use our agent but I couldn’t tell you if I used a direct or booking website. @Lady Penelope may have booked through an agent.

What I did this trip was use Expedia, allura direct and the lodging company (see accommodation thread). With Expedia I locked in accommodation on buy later prices then slowly paid them off one at a time each month. I just logged back onto Expedia and searched the buy now price got the extra discount for paying up front then canned my other booking. This saved us a little coin.

I would say Grizzly was nicely located, very short walk into town, close to the bus stops, lady P will confirm this and the super market across the road has a chef that made some nice meals which were cheap and cheerful and perfect for the kitchenette which is very small but has most things.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
As @zac150 thought, I went through an agent (Travelplan) for the Moose. You can book directly with them I’m sure or through a third party agency. Beware though - Banff can be VERY cold in winter (-39 the other week) although we were lucky during our visit with mild temperatures of around -5.

Hoodie

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2018
Thanks Zac and Lady P, that helps. We were in Banff last year (18/19) and stayed on Tunnel Mountain which was ok but next Xmas we wanted to be more in the centre.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
we stayed at a nce boutique hotel called Elk and Avenue
http://elk-avenue.albertahotelsmotels.com/en/

right in the middle of town, we just rocked up after being cuaght in a snow storm, and rates were only around $120/n and they upgraded us to a suite too.

Bed was terrific, nice restaurants, and a large coffee shop downstairs.

Good quality, easy access underground parking

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
We are heading of to banff on 18th Feb. 2 nights in Vancouver to see an ice hockey game, and then flying to calgary and bussing to Banff (bringing our own skis and boots) we have 11 nights in Banff staffing at Elk and intend to ski 'the big 3' as they say. Will let you know how everything goes if ya like!

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
We are heading of to banff on 18th Feb. 2 nights in Vancouver to see an ice hockey game, and then flying to calgary and bussing to Banff (bringing our own skis and boots) we have 11 nights in Banff staffing at Elk and intend to ski 'the big 3' as they say. Will let you know how everything goes if ya like!

a shot of the Elk. I’m sure you will find it nice
8585D50F-FD4C-4318-9B6C-A8B6FA3016B7.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass