Advice needed Banff Late March/Feb 2020

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
So off to Banff next year, looking at the Elk Hotel or similar. Do most hotels over there offer drying rooms so we can have nice warm boots and gear in the morning? I see that some of them have 'ski lockers', but that doesn't sound like a warm inside room to me? Or is it so cold over there that your clothes don't get wet and you just keep them in your hotel room?

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
So off to Banff next year, looking at the Elk Hotel or similar. Do most hotels over there offer drying rooms so we can have nice warm boots and gear in the morning? I see that some of them have 'ski lockers', but that doesn't sound like a warm inside room to me? Or is it so cold over there that your clothes don't get wet and you just keep them in your hotel room?
Haven’t stayed in Banff for a very long time. But, if they are like most Canadian hotels they will have base board heaters near the front door. Base boards = Skirting boards in Canadia, so will heat boots etc. Heat in the rooms will dry nearly everything else if hung correctly.
Communal drying rooms don’t really exist.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
We stayed at the Elk in January, great boutique hotel, didnt see a boot drying room but didny actually look

Suggestion for you: deal directly. We got best rates online, and then contacted them directly and they matched the price AND upgraded us to a suite

Reactions: Bpoos

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Your last sentence is the correct answer. Most hotels will ask you not to take skis into rooms but use the ski locker room. Everything else goes to your own room. Whistler can be warm and wet, but Banff? Nuh uh.

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Your last sentence is the correct answer. Most hotels will ask you not to take skis into rooms but use the ski locker room. Everything else goes to your own room. Whistler can be warm and wet, but Banff? Nuh uh.
Oohhh now you've for me scared!

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Doesnt have to be insanely cold to not need a drying room, just needs to not rain or thaw during the day. Drying room is an Aussie peculiarity.
Biggest issue is ensuring boots and inside of gloves (if you sweat) dry out properly if you're staying in a hotel room.

Reactions: Chalkie

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Depends. Often not for me. I take boot heaters when on the road.
I guess I’m lucky my hands and feet don’t sweat that much.

On a slightly different note, I went into a ski/boot room at a hotel and just about passed out from the stench.

I was lucky enough to be close enough to the door that I made it out on my hands and knees.

Another metre and I dont think I’d be here to tell the tale

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Happy to put up with a stuffy drying room for warm cosy boots though! Maybe it is just an aussie thing!

LDJ

One of Us
Apr 23, 2017
Don’t leave your boots in the car overnight in Banff I did that accidentally on a crazy cold night and couldn’t ski until 10.30am the next day as couldn’t get them on. Literally had to sit next to a heater pulling them apart at norquay ski resort. One mistake I won’t make again

Reactions: MickM and Bpoos

MickM

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
Happy to put up with a stuffy drying room for warm cosy boots though! Maybe it is just an aussie thing!
Room heat fine for boots in Banff. Gear doesn't get wet like Oz. Often the humidity is low plus rarely gets that freeze thaw.
We stored Skis in locker boots in room.

Enjoy, you will love it.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Biggest issue is ensuring boots and inside of gloves (if you sweat) dry out properly if you're staying in a hotel room.

I find my boots will dry overnight in the ambient room temperature (which is set at 16 degrees overnight; I turn it up to 20 when I get up in the morning) of the hotel room we stay at in Whistler. I carry two pairs of gloves as I'm an inveterate sweater - have to wear each pair every second day to ensure they're nice and dry.

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
Hey Bpoo, enable 'private messages' on your profile
Click on your name (top right corner of this page)
Privacy
Enable PM
QED

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass