Opinion Banff to Sun Peaks Transport Options

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ConnieCheeWah, May 14, 2018.

1. ConnieCheeWah

ConnieCheeWah First Runs

So, Mr CheeWah is not keen on the winter driving in Canada option, and we need to get from Banff to Sun Peaks around about 7th January.

I've researched the options, and wondered whether anyone has used 'Ridebooker'?
    Cost-wise it comes out about the same to have a private transfer through these guys, as it would to transfer back to Calgary and fly to Kamloops.

Other option is Greyhound bus. Yikes, memories of Uni are flooding back.......!!!!!!! :eek:

Thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.:)

2. Sami-P

Sami-P Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

I've priced up Ride Booker a few times now and their responsiveness to online queries is 1st rate. But they have usually also been the most expensive, hence I've never actually booked our ride with them (pun intended).

I have used SunStar Shuttles twice, and found them great. https://www.sunstarshuttle.com/ But I think that of most Canadian locals who rely on providing their services for a living. Different story for kids doing a season in the snow...

I've only transferred from Big White to Sun Peaks with a grocery shop in Kamloops and I think that was a 4.5 hour trip. That would be a big trip from Banff, that I too would not personally like to drive in winter. I have also used SunStar to go from Big White to Silver Star with a shop in Vernon. Very happy with the services.

Bear in mind if you fly into Kamloops, you will still need a transfer up to Sun Peaks, which I think takes about 45 minutes.

Good luck!

ConnieCheeWah likes this.
  3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Last time I looked (a while ago) there was a gap in the shuttle system between the Rockies proper and the Okanagan. You could get north south along the Rockies and the Okanagan but there was no east west link.

4. BilbyBill

BilbyBill Addicted

Done that trip several times. Went by air. Some of the shuttle companies need a minimum number to run.

5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

I did Kamloops to Banff the other direction on Greyhound twice. Was Ok the first time by myself but the second time and accompanied by OG1 it was Ok to Golden but then three young construction workers (one female) heading back to Calgary got on already liquored up and drank more on the bus. Their vocabulary seemed to consist of 'f**k' and nothing else. Detracted somewhat from the rest of the trip and the Rockies. When we got to Banff the driver has gone into the bus station and was checking boarding passengers off his manifest and we told him about the liquor and he shot back out. Just in case he'd chuck them off we hurried out into a cab to the accommodations. Next time after that I did the flights to Calgary with a stopover at Kamloops.

6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Getting up to Sun Peaks is a minor hassle on Greyhound. The shuttle leaves the airport based on flight times (although I think it will divert to the Greyhound depot on request). You may have to get yourself from the Greyhound terminal to the airport, and have to hang around for a while. Also, Greyhound timetables in winter are aspirational at best. They are beset by road closures and (thankfully) put safety above on time running. I have travelled down to Vancouver from Kamloops because the airport was fogged in (although according to the resident experts this does not happen). I think the trip was about 6 hours, but it left Kamloops about 4 hours late.

7. ConnieCheeWah

ConnieCheeWah First Runs

Thanks all, I think it'll be a transfer from Banff back to Calgary and a flight to Kamloops for us.
    I wanted to think that Greyhound would be OK, but judging by your comments and many others I've read in the past few days on review websites, I'm not sure I'm still young enough to cope, and we have our two daughters in tow.

Good points about the shuttles up to Sun Peaks lining up with flight times from the airport. Thanks again.

Pademelon likes this.
  8. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

If you can afford it fly, otherwise Greyhound is fine. I did it on my last trip from Revelstoke to Calgary and no problem.

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I’d orefer to drive and personaaly enjoy, and just factor in some pissible hiccups

10. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

LOLLOLLOL

Marty_McSly likes this.
  11. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

LOL

Disclaimer.
    I’m currently sat is my eye specilist surgery with eye drops in.

Honestly

12. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

And yet still posting! Dedication.

zac150 and gareth_oau like this.
  13. blowfin

blowfin One of Us

My first thought is: why are you changing location to somewhere nearly 600km away? Seems... excessive.

And yep, that far in a Greyhound would be awful.

14. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Greyhound have cut their service levels in western Canada quite a lot in the past year. Even on well used routes like the TransCanada.

15. ConnieCheeWah

ConnieCheeWah First Runs

Ummmm, we're changing location because we have a week in Banff, followed by two weeks in Sun Peaks.
    Lucky, I realise, but wasn't thinking.......excessive.

16. blowfin

blowfin One of Us

It's a long way to travel is all. Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Fernie, and Kimberly are all closer.

17. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

We've done Sun Peaks to Lake Louise several times and always flown. Its a short flight although Banff to Calgary is a couple of hours.While road transport might be an option if Rogers Pass is closed then you're cactus.

18. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

@ConnieCheeWah this happened to us a few trips back. From Banff to Big White (almost the same route) we got caught at Revelstoke - not that that is such a bad place to get caught. But the main highway east and west out of town was closed for three days. After two days the southern route Hwy 23 opened but that was a massive detour to get you back on track to Hwy 1 to get you to SP. We waited it out. We had friends there and we weren't in any rush and had planned for an expected highway closure there considering our driving time frames at the time.

However the prelude to that drive was checking in with the ranger at Lake Louise and they warned us of the impending storm and said leave ASAP or you won't get through. We crossed Rogers Pass behind a truck convoy and we were pretty much the last group to get through before they shut it down.

19. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

I researched this as we went from Banff to Sun Peaks in January. Our original plan was to travel by Greyhound bus - but as others have pointed out this meant a Greyhound bus to Kamloops airport, then the shuttle or a taxi from there to Sun Peaks. Seemed like a hassle and I got talked into hiring a car (see my trip report if you’re interested). I don’t regret hiring the car (and I drove 100% of the time); it gave us much more flexibility. Even driving ourselves took an entire day to get from Banff to Sun Peaks, allowing 1 hour in Kamloops for a grocery shop, so travel via bus/shuttle/taxi Banff to SP is a big effort.

zac150 and ConnieCheeWah like this.
  20. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

The other thought is to forget Sun Peaks (nice resort, but - how can I say this politely - there is a degree of forum hype about the place) and stick to the Rockies proper. There is a shuttle from Banff/Lake Louise south to Fernie via Panorama, both of which are fine places to slide.

zac150, DPS Driver and ConnieCheeWah like this.
  21. ConnieCheeWah

ConnieCheeWah First Runs

Thanks all for your input. I do appreciate the suggestions regarding trying other resorts over SP, but we are meeting up with the other half of our friends/family there, so it's kind of 'set in stone'.

22. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Another +1 for the drive

@Lady Penelope and I worked out early we were doing basically the same trip same time but in reverse so swapped a research etc which was useful.

The drive is stunning and was an absolute highlight of the trip.

For what it’s worth, you will end up travelling two hours back to Calgary which you will have to arrive at a few hours before your flight (see Lady P’s adventure) and then fly to Kamloops etc. Probably 5 plus hours there alone and you still have to get to Sunpeaks.

The road from Banff to Kamloops is the major highway so will be cleared quickly. If this is down I imagine most roads will be down so nobody will be going anywhere and flights would also likely be stopped.

@sly_karma gives some excellent advice in the driving in Canada thread. If you drive in the snow here in Aus you should be fine. Just allow time so it isn’t stressful.

We got caught in Revie due to avalanche work at Rogers pass and it was no stress, we stayed the night in a great hotel then drove to LL in a few hours the following day.

The other advantage of the car is access to supplies when you get to Kamloops and Banff.

23. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Eeeew - never had those hiccups before!

24. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I suspect its the ones that whoever cleans the toilet gets annoyed about

Marty_McSly likes this.
  25. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

The shuttle to Sun Peaks takes about 45 minutes and meets the flights but best to prebook as its a small bus and is usually full.You'll love SP its a great ski resort