1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Bavaria ski trip Jan 2021 for Euro-noobs

Discussion in 'Europe' started by teleroo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I would appreciate some advice on a tentative plan I have hatched for a January ski trip to Bavaria in January 2020.

About us, we are a family of four (myself, 12 yo and 10 yo all ski, +1 doesn't, but happy to tag along) of reasonable ski ability (Oz blue runs skied competently). So not looking for anything too hard in our ski adventures. Never skied abroad before (but heading to NZ in Sept), nor done much travel in Europe.

I have a tentative house-swap arrangement with a family who have an apartment at Oberjoch, Bad Hindelang, Germany. This is 185 km south east of Munich (or alternatively 130 km WNW of Innsbruck on the German-Austrian border, adjacent to Tyrol. The appartment is next to a ski resort

https://www.bergbahnen-hindelang-oberjoch.de/

The ski resort describes itself as "family friendly", looks to be between 1100 and 1500m elevation (see pic), situated as the Alps rise up from the plains of Germany. To me it looks like a wider but less tall version of Thredbo - so probably right for us in terms of weather, coldness, terrain etc. Our plan is for a house swap in January - our house in the Illawarra for their appartment at Oberjoch.

Given my noob status about Euro-skiing, I'd really appreciate some perspectives, as for us such a trip will be a big investment and we'd like it to work out. Here are a couple of questions:

1. Snow in January in Bavaria at this elevation in Jan - how reliable? I've emailed the ski resort and they say no worries, but they are inclined to say this. The resort does talk about its snow making capability, so hopefully OK as a backup. Would it be like Aus in July?
    2. The ski resort is near lots of others in Austria - should we buy a season pass to the Oberjoch resort, or buy day/multi-day passes to a variety of nearby fields?
    3. I guess I'd budget something like $1800 per person airfares, $1500 for ski passes and then ??? for kids ski hire x 2. Accommodation should be free, seems we can arrange a mutual car swap, so once there, further expenses beyond usual day to day food etc shouldn't be too much different from Aus (we mainly self cater due to diet requirements).
    4. Advice on getting month-longish ski hire in Bavaria. I'll take my skis but not keen on lugging kids skis boots and poles across the world.
    5. Any advice about keeping warm, particularly for kids - we've only skied in Aus thus far with its mild conditions. Two weekends ago at Selwyn it was -3 deg C and windy. Kids and I skied through it but I'm guessing we'd need some gear upgrades for Euro-winter.

2. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

1 and 2. You'd be much better off skiing at Oberstdorf - it's much more expansive and only 20km away. Otherwise Garmisch (80km) and the world class St. Anton (110km). All are higher altitude than Hindelang. Could you convince your house-swappers to lend you their car?

4. Buy the skis for cheap in Munich somewhere. Take the kids boots with you if they still fit
    5. Sudden temp plunges to -20 can happen. Expect -15 overnight lows.

3. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

staying in Munich near the station, on the first morning I got ready for my regular walk at 7am
    tracksuit on, shoes on, jacket and hat - walked out the door and went about 50 metres before I realised how severely underdressed I was
    temperatures like that, I'm usually wearing a ski suit
    the hotel had a gym, so I used the treadmill

PMG likes this.
  4. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

1. Would like to ad: in recent snow has NOT been reliable that low.

And if you drive to other mountain places avoid friday evening and saturday morning and sunday late afternoon.
    And remember parking can be a problem and costy.

(Could not make it english - sorry)

https://www.skiinfo.dk/allgau/oberjoch/snehistorik.html?&y=2018

For one month I would take all the gear along - went ok for me (with all the wifes luggage) from Europe to Japan.

teleroo likes this.
  5. teleroo

Thank you all. @Hermannator appreciate your mention of Oberstdorf, I'll look it up. I like the idea of not too much driving on Euro mountain roads and on the right, but 20 km sounds manageable and might make for some variety for a week or ten days maybe. The others perhaps a bit too far to be travelling to and from each day. A car swap is on the cards, just need to negotiate it.

Further question, is a regular Aussie ski parka, underlain perhaps by a down jacket and a couple of layers of thermals OK for winter skiing? -15 C or so early in the morning, warming to a little below zero seems manageable without too much wind.

Boots are a bit of an issue. Kids have been learning telemark this winter. They can ski on regular alpine gear, but I'm holding off buying boots of either species whilst they are growing so fast. Have to think about this one - maybe see if we can get a good deal on "off-season" hire from somewhere in Oz perhaps.

6. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Don't waste boots on the kids - wait. Hire local.

Bogong likes this.
  7. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I often correspond with a Bavarian who is an even bigger ski lift fan than I am. He also visits Australia occasionally. The last time I met him he rubbished German ski resorts, so I responded with "but didn't they once hold the winter Olympics at Garmisch?" But he still played skiing in Germany down. I have no idea of what level skier he is, but I get the feeling he doesn't think German snow is that reliable compared to what is available in neighbouring countries.

teleroo likes this.
  8. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

While living in Stuttgart I hit many resorts, and also had a place to stay in Garmisch so many weekends there. I only skied Garmisch and two other German areas once each - just weren’t that great compared to all the places in Austria, which should be striking distance. Driving can be easy with some serious tunnels.

9. teleroo

Thanks @Lonepeak. Nice to hear there are good options nearby in Austria. But I do have to temper ski expectations towards what will then be 11 and 13yo kids as part of the picture. Both happily ski at Selwyn at present. But maybe I should plan for a few days adventure for myself.

10. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I was sure I posted a response here a couple of days ago, but it appears to have gone. I mentioned that just past Oberstdorf there is the Kleinwalssertal region of Austria which is basically only accessible from Oberstdorf. It is quite a decent size and one you should certainly check out. https://www.ok-bergbahnen.com/en/

Hyst and teleroo like this.
  11. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It appears we may be offending some of the natives if we refer to the town as simply Garmisch...

12. teleroo

What happens then if I ask a local "is this the bus to Garmo mate?". Might get deported...

13. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

teleroo likes this.
  14. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know. GAP was common reference.

Regarding skiing with teens - keep in mind the resorts in Austria really cater to intermediates. Expert skiing is essentially off-piste (which I love), but resorts make money on families skiing. Example: Lermoos is about an hour from where you will be and it has 3-4 tiny areas (T-Bars even!) which I enjoyed at times. I would even relocate half way through the day since they were on the same pass. So, just saying if you get bored at the mountain where staying.

teleroo likes this.
  15. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

We've pretty much just had a t-shirt (wicking material) and then ski jacket, and base layer + pants for bottoms. This worked for us for 20 odd trips in French/Italian/Swiss Alps in January. The only case where it got really cold was in Levi Finland (-20), and once in Cervinia. In those cases we had a fleece as extra.

I think it is probably more important to get good wicking ski socks, as the killer cold is in the toes. Once sweat sets in and you are on the lift it is not a pleasant experience.

And if it gets really cold, you can do this frozen soap bubble trick I'm sure your kids will be impressed:

[​IMG]

teleroo and Bogong like this.
  16. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Saw your react as I was typing an edit so hope you saw it. If theres one thing it would be good wicking socks. That was definitely where we felt it.

teleroo likes this.