1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Baw Baw with kids

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Aurelie, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Aurelie

Aurelie Hard Yards

Hello has anyone been to Baw Baw end of September ? We are planning to go for 5 nights on 22 of sept ( school holidays) it's more for the kids to learn how to ski (we have 2 boys 3 and 5) do you think there will be snow ? I know that this year has been awesome so far but do you think from experience it will last until end sept ? What were previous years like at this time of year ? Many thanks advice appreciated !

2. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The short answer is that I would not pre-book Baw Baw for the end of September. No way. There may be snow, but there very well may be none. It's too risky to book now.

4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

absentskier above is quite right. Late September is really marginal for bb. Have skied there in October some years but lifts had long since closed. Wait and watch this w/e's r*** event before committing to anything. Looks like a shorter winter, again, part of an emerging pattern IMO.

5. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Also, Baw Baw have an annoying habit of closing in the last week of August or first week of September, regardless of the snow conditions. Don't know if, with Belgravia operating the resort, they will be more likely to stay open longer if conditions are good, or not. In my early days of skiing e.g. the 1980s, BB would stay open if there was skiable snow right into October!

6. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

The good old days of private enterprise!

Baw Baw Bear likes this.
  7. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Frankly Aurelie, I'd go to one of the bigger resorts for September holidays - especially if you want/need to book ahead. In Vic Falls would probably be best for cover but Hotham/Buller should have 'something' left.

8. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

BB is already losing snow and warmer weather seems to be on the horizon, so I would not count on skiable snow or the resort being open at that time, particularly as other members have pointed out, the uncertainty of when Belgravia will decide to cease winter operations (it will be when it is no longer financially viable). Often BB will get a reasonable dump of snow after the lifts have closed but there will be no staff around to operate them. With BB, early snow season start usually equates to early finish, but having said that, a late dump in the next couple of weeks could see it through to the holidays.

9. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

I have been skiing at Baw Baw in late September before, but that really only happens if you get a really good season that stays cold until early September, and you have over 1m of base in the last week of August.

My rule of thumb is: don't book for end of September until you know the conditions at the end of August.