@ thredbo-stoke-thread crew
etc....

Screenshot 2021-05-27 114509.png

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Can any Android users confirm that two taps in the field is the gesture that triggers the 'select all -> copy' dialogue

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I assume this embed link is live and updates once copied and posted?
From UX POV this won’t be all that useful given posts are usually referencing/observing to particular change in the cam at that time. Screenshot will still reign supreme in this instance?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Single 'Insert Cam' button drops down resort list, clicking on resort drops down cam list, clicking on cam then drops down static or live options?

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
This is where we need a forum bot.

@bot cam, Perisher, front valley, now...

Maybe even PM the bot. ...today and yesterday | last season etc... Gives you the BB code with static images...

Reactions: crackson

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Yes, what you say is correct, its the link to live image. So screengrab still necessary for capturing the moment.
I can't remember a single instance when someone's posted a live cam pic where they weren't referring to conditions at that point in time.

Imagine someone working a block of 3 12+ hour shifts, who's not allowed to use their phone at work and is too tired between shifts to catch up on the latest forum posts. So catching up on 3 or 4 days of posts. Reads a 3 day old post "look at how much snow they've made, bet they'll open early". Live feed pic shows muddy grass as far as the eye can see, due to a "pre-frontal".

This feature just makes it easy for people to annoy the fcuk out of other users. UX curse in my book.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I can't remember a single instance when someone's posted a live cam pic where they weren't referring to conditions at that point in time.

Imagine someone working a block of 3 12+ hour shifts, who's not allowed to use their phone at work and is too tired between shifts to catch up on the latest forum posts. So catching up on 3 or 4 days of posts. Reads a 3 day old post "look at how much snow they've made, bet they'll open early". Live feed pic shows muddy grass as far as the eye can see, due to a "pre-frontal".

This feature just makes it easy for people to annoy the **** out of other users. UX curse in my book.

Ummm

it’s been there for at least 5 years on desktop and not proved to be misused by the community so far.

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Ummm

it’s been there for at least 5 years on desktop and not proved to be misused by the community so far.

I kinda get @Marty_McSly point, and when I am not feeling completely lazy I screenshot (also for posterity) but sometimes in the race to post, and excitement, I just copy and paste.

I'm not sure everyone on the forum understands the nuance of their actions in this regard. ie: copy / paste = live, screenshot = fixed images?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I assume this embed link is live and updates once copied and posted?
From UX POV this won’t be all that useful given posts are usually referencing/observing to particular change in the cam at that time. Screenshot will still reign supreme in this instance?

@CarveMan @Marty_McSly @Claude Cat @Kletterer @Sandy @Doonks @skifree

Ok, So one of the many reasons for the upgrade was to use an Addon that converts all hotlinked images to attachments - so images are never lost from linkrot and so that weather pages which hotlink a guzillion images have better performance.

This addon is now installed and working

What this means, is that cam urls dropped in from the cam pages, will convert to attachments and become static immediately upon post, capturing that moment in time and no longer updating every 5 min.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
@CarveMan @Marty_McSly @Claude Cat @Kletterer @Sandy @Doonks @skifree

Ok, So one of the many reasons for the upgrade was to use an Addon that converts all hotlinked images to attachments - so images are never lost from linkrot and so that weather pages which hotlink a guzillion images have better performance.

This addon is now installed and working

What this means, is that cam urls dropped in from the cam pages, will convert to attachments and become static immediately upon post, capturing that moment in time and no longer updating every 5 min.
Sick

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass