1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

BC/Alberta Summer trip - What must see's?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Choppers, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

We've skipped our annual Feb ski trip year and looking at taking Wife + 5 year old daughter to Canada in Summer.

Looking at things to do on our car/fly trip in early July for probably our one Summer trip of 2.5-3 weeks duration.

Looking at flying into Syd-Vanvouver then Calgary overland to Kelowna and then fly back to BC and then Syd.

Have previously seen in Winter - Whistler, Banff, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Sunshine, Calgary, Kelowna and Vancouver (3 times) previously.

Has anyone got any must see's in BC/Alberta? My bro has recommended Nakusp for a camping trip. Also thinking a couple of days on Vancouver island. Is Edmonton worth a visit?

Not overly keen on seeing Kelowna in Summer as we have vinyeards and wines here that are better suited to our palettes and we did the wine tasting in Winter last trip.

Would appreciate any input/route as flights not set in stone. Thanks guys.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If you are a palaeonerd the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller, about 150 km into the prairies from Calgary is a must see. You can see the KT boundary.

And why fly back from Kelowna? The Coast Range is as spectacular as the Rockies. Go over on Hwy 1 and back on Hwy 3. Or even Hwy 99.

sly_karma and Chalkie like this.
  3. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

And near Drumheller are the Alberta "badlands". Truly amazing scenery to be part of.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

That's where you see the KT boundary.

Chalkie likes this.
  5. Chalkie

In early May and again in mid-July I'm doing some driving tours around B.C. and into Alberta. These are the routes I'm taking:

May - Vancouver-Whistler-Lillooet-Kelowna-Lake Louise-Cranbrook-Osoyoos-Vancouver. The precise route between Kelowna and Lake Louise for this one hasn't been fixed yet. I'll be calling on @sly_karma to advise me on this one.

July - Vancouver-Merritt-Kelowna-Salmon Arm-Revelstoke-Canmore-Jasper then back to Vancouver on the Rocky Mountaineer. This takes in Hwy 5-97-1 (the Rogers Pass)-93 (the Icefields Parkway). I'm informed that this routing will include some spectacular scenery.

Vancouver Island is definitely worth a visit - Victoria in summer is gorgeous, but the rest of the island is huge and there's plenty of beautiful scenery and hiking to do on the island as well.

Not so sure about Edmonton as a destination when there's so much to see and do in B.C. alone, and if you add in Jasper/Lake Louise/Banff on the Icefields Parkway and going to somewhere like Drumheller as suggested by @Legs Akimbo (and which I also heartily recommend), you've plenty to fill in a holiday with.

sly_karma likes this.
  6. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Will be a lot busier in summer than winter, even in the ski towns. You might enjoy September a bit more, easier to get accommodation, and cheaper, a bit quieter, the start of Autumn colour, 20-25 temps. I did last week of August and first half of Sept last year.

The Icefield Parkway is a must do...about 270km drive between Banff and Jasper with plenty of little side trips (mainly hikes)

[​IMG]

sly_karma, Chalkie and blowfin like this.
  7. Chalkie

It was amazing:

Summit likes this.
  8. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Geez, there are endless options. Depends what you're into really.

Camping: I've done trips to Birkenhead Lake, Skagit Valley, Vancouver Island, the list of options is endless. Skagit Valley in particular is a breathtaking spot as you wind your way down to the US border. The provincial parks all have their own charm and gems contained within. I'd love to visit Jasper NP someday too.

You can't go wrong with visiting Vancouver Island in general really, Victoria is a very pretty place and I'd suggest getting out to the West Coast to somewhere like Tofino. Options just pop out of the woodwork just looking at Google maps. Do you fish? Also go to Vancouver island, Campbell River in particular is a mecca, and a lovely spot to boot.

Closer to Vancouver, Deep cove (hire a canoe), visit Capilano river/bridge, go cycling around the seawall, go nude at rec beach, plus endless other summer options.

Edmonton is not worth a visit, unless it's a stopover.:crap:

sly_karma and Chalkie like this.