1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question BC Potential Remaining 18th-21st? (Thredbo to Kosi?)

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by xyz, Oct 10, 2019.

1. xyz

xyz First Runs

Friend and I are coming back from O/S and wondering if likely to be anything left ~18th of this month? Pictures and weather reports I'm seeing are inconclusive. Some aspects look extremely patchy, but then again, Perisher is still operating and I can see snow on the cams in most NSW resorts?! We were hoping to head out with a guide from the top of Thredbo and maybe attain Kosi and then ski/board the south face. Is that route likely to go on skins (or snowshoes for my boarder friend) and then allow some sliding downhill (a least in part)? Will there still be a chance of some rideable tongues of snow? We aren't expecting anything too flash, just hoping for an entree to the area and bc equipment (friend hoping to come back next year on a visa and work lifts or instruct). But if it's only going to be a soggy bushwalk and no real chance for a BC intro, we might skip the guide and go for a wander by ourselves. What are people seeing at the moment/what do y'all think?

2. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Its patchy, but plenty of lines to be had. Walking is inevitable, but like I say, plenty of lines to ride.

skifree and xyz like this.
  3. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A lot more choice and no guide necessary from Charlotte Pass. After the regular season finishes most bc touring starts from there, pass on the Thredbo start.

4. xyz

xyz First Runs

Cheers to folks who replied. Can confirm we went for a lovely little slide today after skipping out on the 18th due to high winds. Got our first taste of earning turns with three wee lines off Guthrie. Had a blast. As advised, plenty of snow and no guides required. Hope to cross the snowy and get out a little further next time (eyeing Carruthers). Thanks for the info and encouragement. Happy trails, all.

5. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Looks like it's disappearing quickly, more so this year thanks to the red tinge from that big dust storm

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

https://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/nsw/perisherblue/perisher-mtkosciuszko.html
    Yes, I think you are right and even still I went bushwalking this week in The Grampians N.P.( Grumpy man winding down from skiing a lot , now stuck with no snow and walking instead of skiing in the Grampians) I still had that October KNP FOMO not skiing feeling.

#7 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  7. Jake S

Jake S Addicted

Hopefully enough to get an early summer slide in come december

SMSkier and FourSquare04 like this.
  8. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Hey Jake, love your backcountry pics & posts with Erryn. I would love to get out there one day

Jake S likes this.
  9. Jake S

Jake S Addicted

Thanks, I love it out there. Haven't been out much this season, pretty much been injured since July which has made it difficult.

10. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Should be a chance early December, sometimes less creates more aesthetic, haha. And you seem to like it skinny! Also love your work as you know.