1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

BC tents....?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by PiedPiper, Sep 11, 2017.

1. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

How do you find those white balls on the snow?

Chaeron and Skiain like this.
  2. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

For solo trips I've got a Minaret for comfort and a Mont bivy + MLD tarp for light weight. I rate both setups for value and performance.

Just got back from a trip where I did part solo and part with a mate. First night was in the bivy and the rest in a Hilleberg Nallo 3GT. I've realised that 'Hilleberg' must be the German spelling of Hilton, because staying in that thing was like a luxury hotel compared to the bivy!

ecowain, Poppies and telecrag like this.
  3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve got the worst scenario, +1 gear FOMO. Means I need to get 2 of everything.

ecowain, NewTurns and Chaeron like this.
  4. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Mate of mine didn't understand when i told him the real cost of any recreational purchase is double. You spend $3K on a golf toy and the +1 will find something equally ridiculous to spend $3K on!

I get it.

My mrs has a pair of dynafit ski boots and Haute Roue skis that i think have seen a total of 2 days on snow in 7 years. Bought them just before you got pregers with the kid.

Fozzie Bear, Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

The light at the end of the tunnel is when you have accumulated decades of gear then any new purchases go unnoticed.

6. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Even better, structure your life so they're all "work" purchases.

Ricardo64, Red_switch, zac150 and 3 others like this.
  7. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Write it off as a R&D expense....

CarveMan likes this.
  8. 7wombathead

7wombathead One of Us

Glacial Research

9. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Except when said purchases have been kept in your shop, and you close it, and have to move it all home. Man that was something. But honey, thats been bought over 15 years! 40sqm garage, cannot fit a car.

crackson, Poppies, pegasusSki and 5 others like this.
  10. Chaeron

Just replaced some seam sealing tape on the 3 man Salewa Sierra Leone II tent I bought in 2003 - it’s been the go to family tent and still going strong after 15 years despite intensive use and withstanding 120km/h winds in the Otways.

Used it for the first time in the snow this week - it’s a 3 season tent and they were bluebird days with no wind, so no issue. Basic lesson - a good tent can be and is worth repairing, but needs maintenance.

For the snow I’ve got a old style Exped Andromeda 2 person - awesome with 2 vestibules, and good for 2. But slightly heavy for going solo.

Currently lusting after a one person Hilleberg Akto

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/red-label-tents/akto/

Explaining to the missus that 4 tents isn’t enough is a challenge, but she does have 4 weaving looms, so I’ve got my arguments ready...

11. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Obviously you need a much bigger shed.
    When this ski season is over we are putting up a sleepout for the kids and I am getting a big shed, 12 * 4 metres but I am paying extra for 3metre high walls and a gambrel roof so I can add in a mezzanine storage level.
    If the OP wants a cheap winter tent I have one cheap to a good home for postage or pick-up, a Fairydown Assault in good condition I just bought a new Helsport Arctic tunnel

Poppies and Snow Blowey like this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Wilderness Equipment do make an ultra light 4 seasons tent. It will possibly be my next tent, whenever that happens. They are not cheap!

Poppies and pegasusSki like this.
  13. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Check out the Vango Halo for a well made 4 season tent, plus can be found for under $400

Chaeron likes this.
  14. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

he puts em back in his undies

15. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

I have had a Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow for about 8 years:

-
    I don't like it in the main, as it's a bit too fiddly for my liking for the other seasons..outside the snow..
    I have struggled to get it up quickly when it is seperated - and this is what you want if 2 people are sharing the weight
    [I have got it up in minutes, though - with fly and inner together - it seems pot luck].
    I don't like the way the pole and tunnel is quite tight - in fact I blew a hole in the tunnel and had to patch
    I don't now, in general, like feeding poles through tunnels
    I don't like the way the cord running from the base front corner to vestibule 'fouls' the entrance - in fact it is a major annoyance - the Hilleberg equivalent seems a lot tidier.

+
    I like the fact it's actually quite 'light' at what 2.2kg - it fits 1.5 people, a small and a large person - this was why I picked it
    so that I could camp with my darling wife..
    I like the fact it's ...well, rated for 4 seasons with a good inner.
    [A newer version seems lighter which is a real killer..]
    This might be the tent Mr T references..

People do seem to get away with 3 season tents in the snow - but maybe in fine weather....

Chaeron and POW_hungry like this.
  16. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

There does seem an 'aging' factor to illicit kit acquisitions - time on the face of it is apparently a 'healer' - [never mind the fact that the money still went out without approval.....and they say women never forget...surely past offences are still 'live']

telecrag and Chaeron like this.
  17. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Especially if it's safety equipment

Telemark Phat and Chaeron like this.
  18. Chaeron

19. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

20. Chaeron

Bummer - :(

21. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

Another important feature for BC tents is that they are easy to put up when wearing gloves. I've got a tent that I bought very cheap, it's a very strong design but the pols sleeves are very tight and it's difficult to put the poles through , even out of the snow. By contrast the Hilleberg Allak / Soulo have a brilliant design. The pole sleeves are about 500 mm long and quite loose, so the poles slip in easily. Then the rest of the tent snaps on with clips and fits tightly. The 12 guy ropes are on tapes which you wrap around the poles directly, making a really bomb proof setup.

legend likes this.
  22. Chaeron

@CaptainC the Soulo doesn’t have a vestibule as such? How does this pan out in practice...

23. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

24. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Soulo is a great one person tent and def has a vestibule, can also unclip inner for extra cooking space if required. Not the most light weight shelter out there but a well thought out solid tent. Love it.

Chaeron likes this.
  25. jonathanc

The Soulo looks good but is roughly the same weight as a minaret, which is a lot roomier and has the added benefit of being able to sleep two people if required.

26. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

2 people in a Minaret is very cosy, and if these are BIG people almost impossible. I've never considered myself a big bloke but I do wear XXL jackets so I have to consider my own Minaret a solo tent. I could probably pitch 2 Minarets inside my new Helsport which is a supposedly a 3 man tent. My own experience is that positioning and guy lines usage and learning to utilise what you have correctly is just as important as anything else. A good tent sited and pitched badly may be worse than an UL pitched well. I had an old model Eureka Firelite tent, supposedly a summer tent but with a full solid inner. It did very well over several High Plains winters by simply adding [ and hand sewing as I did not then own a machine] guy points in several places to lock the tent poles down to the snow and the poles to the fly and adding valances at the windward end

27. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

I have an Hilleberg Akto which I use for solo trips, mesh inner for the warmer months and solid inner for the cooler months. A liitle more height would be ideal but otherwise a great tent. I haven't camped in the snow with it yet but there are plenty of people who do, I've even seen pictures of them at Everest Base Camp!

28. GS

Being a Macpac tent tragic, the Minaret was top of my shopping list when I was looking to replace the old heavy Olympus but spotted a near new used Soulo at a price I couldn't pass up. Have come to really like the external poles and free standing design. Being able to peg out the tent in windy conditions before even thinking about the poles is a real bonus, downside to free standing is when tent is erected in still conditions and pegs aren't used.....and then a wind springs up during the night; need to be careful it doesn't take off as one gets out in the morning.

A slight negative to a side entry tent is it's trickier to inflate downmat type mattresses inside the tent compared with tunnels and their end entry.

If i could entice the missus to come out walking/skiing again, it'd be a tough decision between a Hilleberg or Minaret/Olympus.

jonathanc likes this.
  29. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Second W/E of August there will be a whole bunch of us camped at Pretty Valley. I'm taking my new tent plus a whole stack of my old gear for fun and user comparisons. My collection includes at least 3 old FairyDown tents in the horrible purple and green combo that was ubiquitous in the 1980s/1990s May have to include my Minaret as well now.

skifree likes this.
  30. jonathanc

Yeah, it really depends how much room you take up. We can comfortably snow camp with two people in ours, but our combined weight is less than 140kgs. Two mates who are 100kg+ did a multi-day snow hike in one and found it very cramped. They're both well over 6ft and took it in turns on the 'short' side of the tent.

31. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Macpac [ and I guess most tent makers] use a "standard" Medium sized person when putting shades figures in the tents. Also I think most tent makers use a sleeping bag & mat configuration on the slimmer side. Start using a wide & thick winter mat and the full 120mm of loft needed for an Arctic/Antarctic/High Altitude camp and things get crowded quickly

32. GS

Cmon, that purple will come back into fashion....or as I'm hoping, become a collectors item

33. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Personally [ and colour aside] I think that model was the best iteration of the Olympus tent.

34. Tanuki

Hi all, has anyone got experience with Snowgum 4 season tents? IMO Snowgum, like Kathmandu, Macpac and MD etc used to make quality products (and still do in limited ranges) but most of the design and manufacturing is just trade show rubbish.

Anyway, this popped up for a bargain price of $269:
    https://snowgum.com.au/shop/products/snowgum-caddis-2-person-tent?taxon_id=57

Materials, dimensions and construction look similar to the old Macpac tent I owned years ago. I need to check it IRL, but could be good for some spring camping up high.

35. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

3.7 kg?

Chaeron likes this.
  36. Tanuki

Yeah I know - 200 grams heavier than nearest competitor. For me it's just overnighters up Stirling and on the The Razorback in fine weather.

37. teletimmo

teletimmo Hard Yards

I really don't see the need for a 4-seaon tent for most applications in our mountains. Despite owning a single skin Integral Designs MK4, 90% of the time I use my BD Megalight. Pyramid shelters are awesome for snow camping as you can excavate down and make them standing standing room, weight to space ratio is excellent, and of course you can cook in them too. Condensation can be a drawback, but doesn't bother me and the impact can be mitigated easily with a lightweight bivvy. Pyramids are also great in the wind if you use the snow pegs on their side and bury them a foot deep. Next time I'd consider upgrading to a ridiculously light Locus Gear cuben fiber pyramid, but they are so damn expensive. I find the sil-nylon loses its tension a little when wet, but I don't believe cuben fiber does. Even if I were to use a 4-season tent, in a group situation I would still probably take the pyramid as a group cooking shelter. In short, it's hard to go past a pyramid shelter for both summer and winter camping. For summer camping you can use a mesh inner to stop the mozzies, but also catch the drips!

Attached Files:

38. lightfoot

lightfoot Hard Yards

I used to take a megamid and bivy bag and it is a versitile setup. Bought a 2nd hand soulo and don't regret it even with the weight. Walked upto fed hut last sun night, arrived at 1am and was set up in 10min including packing a platform. Super easy and solid. Managing condensation key but the vestibule is big enough for boots and pack.

skifree and zapruda like this.
  39. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I have owned and used a series of BD 'mids. they are very much 4 season tents in my experience but in winter you mostly need to use a full bivvy bag with them so the weight saving can be minimal. It's the digging down to give lots of usable room that makes them so usable in winter, the same can be said for the MSR Twin Sisters/Twin Brothers tarp shelters

40. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I agree.
    The wrinkle is when you have to camp in an exposed spot and it blows.
    Your reward might be to spend a night sitting and holding onto your tent, or worse.

Chaeron, skifree and zapruda like this.
  41. legend

legend One of Us

Back in the good ol' days we used Paddy Pallin japara walled a-tents and a plastic groundsheet. To go lighter we used a 9' x9' nylon tarp to do a 9 day K - K crossing. No snow shovels or snow pegs back then, but skis were used to make snow walls and small branches secured the fly.

Dropknee diehard and Ziggy like this.
  42. teletimmo

teletimmo Hard Yards

I've stupidly camped in a few exposed spots over the years, but I would say the mid shelter is as bombproof as any 4 season tent if you place snow around the edges or build snow walls. Pitching it in a wind storm is a bit of a prick however.....

43. teletimmo

teletimmo Hard Yards

A family man's mid, fits 6-8 people, weighs a little over 2kg with two centre poles, 6x3x1.85m: https://locusgear.com/items/soris-sil/?lang=en. With a baby on the way, this could be a good camp option for me, if teamed with the tent inner

zapruda and climberman like this.