1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

BC tour at Thredbo ski hire options

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by skull, Aug 20, 2018.

1. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So the wife has booked me in for the signature hill intro tour at Thredbo next Saturday.

https://www.thredbo.com.au/activities/backcountry-adventures/backcountry-tours/

They provide a pack, beacon, probe and shovels. They mentioned I will need to hire appropriate skis for the tour. No mention of different boots or poles.

Thredders have Volkl VTA 80's available for hire (I am guessing that includes skins) for those that are doing the tours. $118 for a day hire as a package. Unless there they are different boots and poles to what I normally use I don't really need them, just the skis. Now my question is about the ski. I currently ride 2018 Volkl Matra's which are 100 wide, which I love, especially with the last couple of weekends, my preferred skiing is off piste. So I am wondering if I should go with the Thredbo hire option, or look around at another shop to find something wider, or for you here that 80 is the perfect width for doing that and I am a ding bat thinking I want wider?

Having not ventured outside the resorts apart from sneaking out the edges here and there I have no idea what I am in for.

Also are standard boots and poles ok? I have salomon xpro 100 boots and just regular old poles.

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If you have time you could chat to Wilderness Sports in Nuggets Crossing, Jindabyne. And even hire the kit from them.

Rythym in Cooma also hire AT kit.

Both places have staff who know what they are talking about.

3. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Gravity's little outlet near the Kosi Chair have Volkl 88 Lites set up with frame bindings which would be fine for a Sig Hill tour. Rhythm at Cooma have a huge collection of touring set ups in all widths if you prefer a wider ski. Harro's at Lake Crackenback and I think Gravity at Jindabyne also have touring skis but I am not sure what they carry. All would come with skins. Normal poles are fine. An alpine boot will work especially if it has an unlocking "walk" mode. If it doesn't it will be less comfortable to climb in but a well fitting alpine boot is probably going to be kinder to your feet than a lesser fitting alpine touring boot which you hire.

Take some sun glasses, cap and light weight gloves (plus helmet if you like to ski in one) and your goggles. It's better to have a waterproof shell with layers rather than an insulated jacket (which get a bit hot when climbing) but if you don't have one just use your usual ski jacket. Blisters can be an issue so some protective tape to put on any emerging areas of foot discomfort can be a good addition to your pocket.

Most importantly - have fun.

4. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

this ^^^^

5. skull

Thanks everyone.

I got a reply back from Thredbo too, they also have Soul 7's that are wider underfoot but are heavier and they recommended the volkl's for BC beginners. Considering my Matra's are wide and heavy I might go with the Soul 7 options as hiring at Thredbo is a lot more convenient.
    Thanks, I would have not considered that and I am guessing skinning with full weight gloves and wearing a helmet wouldn't be too comfortable and I wouldn't go without something on my bald noggin. I did that a few years ago as I didn't have a hat or helmet and it was too hot for the beanie. Worst sunburn of my life, my head actually swelled up and looked like a tomato. It took about two weeks for the swelling to go down and another couple of weeks for the redness to go away.

6. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

A Buff or similar thing is a very versatile bit of kit to have when touring

Ziggy and skull like this.
  7. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

You are only going to Sig Hill. There's about seven turns, and a long runout back to Eagles' Nest.
    Go the 85mm and enjoy the lighter weight and maneuverability on the up and the along.
    Touring is 95% work, and 5% skiing. A lighter rig will make the day more enjoyable. Traversing up on mixed snow is also easier on non-wide (having skied on 69mm skis for almost 15 years I hesitate to call 85mm 'skinny' or 'narrow'!)

Beacon and probe! Good practice guess but...... anyway.

You will have lovely time if the weather is fine, regardless of the gear.

Annabuzzy, Chaeron, sastrugi and 7 others like this.
  8. skull

The tour is an intro to BC where they teach you about what you should take and carry so I can see why they have that stuff.

If this Saturday is good I am going to book into a couple of the longer tours the following weeks.

Chaeron, skifree and climberman like this.
  9. skull

Update

I did the tour on the Rossi's. I did find it tough skinning and actually tripped over myself a couple of times. Skiing in them was fine.

I am doing another tour this weekend and am hiring the Volkll RTM 80s this time around. A tiny bit longer but the tour is 7 hours not 3. So I don't want to worry about struggling on the skinning part.

10. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So I'm hoping to do one of these tours (the signature hill intro tour) before the end of the season, any additional tips I should keep in mind?

And I'm thinking I should hire a split-board rather than use my own board and hire snow shoes, I've heard snow shoes can be a bit challenging to use? Any recommendations of places to go for split-board hire?

skifree, skull and Chaeron like this.
  11. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Just rent a small pair of msr evo snowshoes for sig. Split board is massive overkill for short walk and compromise the ride down.

12. zac150

What do you want out of the tour? Is it to experience the back country to see if you want to do more, if so then go for it.

But signature is well within in your capability now and I know a few of the Canberra crew (who you know) are likely to head that way soon and happy for you to tag along. We will head out on the long weekend.

telecrag, crackson, LaNeige and 4 others like this.
  13. skull

If they just go to Sig hill then just go snow shoes. I have boot packed up over the back of Sig hill to Rams Head North with just ski boots and carrying my skis before from Karels. It is easy to access and not overly challenging

However when I did the intro tour we went up and over all the way to Rams Head then back across to Sig hill and down. So you'll be wanting to have a split board then. We also spent a little bit of time going through the process of using the probe and transceiver.

I hired through T-bo, you'll need to email them to see what they have available. Once you do the intro tour you can then go on the longer ones that they run.

14. Interruptedbyfireworks

I just really want to get into the backcountry, and thought this would be a good entry-level option as I'm too risk-averse to even contemplate doing it alone. If some of the Canberra crew are heading up then I would love to join too, but I'm hesitant to invite myself along to something where I'm likely to be a liability LOL

Sounds like I should ask them if they are planning on just doing Sig hill or if they may go further? I am very used to my own board so that would be an advantage of going snow shoes if it isn't going to slow me down compared to the rest of the group, but on the other hand I would like to learn how to do the skins thing and all that eventually

telecrag likes this.
  15. zac150

I’ll keep you posted (and you more than welcome to tag), we will head out on the long weekend.

16. Interruptedbyfireworks

Sounds awesome :love::love::love:

17. skifree

Your down this weekend?

18. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Newbies get eaten first when things go bad.

19. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sig hill is just there in front of you when you get off Karels lift. A 500m walk up a hill (could be done in your boarding boots at this time of year). Would you walk 500m down a road you did not know to catch a bus if needed. Then why not walk 500m up a hill you can see in front of you?

20. skull

hello zac, my name is skull

telecrag and zac150 like this.
  21. zac150

Yes I’ll keep you in the loop as well!

I’ll be down the long weekend and at this stage we have plans to dump kids in ski school for the day and head into the ramshead. Nothing too strenuous as I know of at least two people will be on snow shoes. But that leaves more time to go up and down hills!

I have had brief chats to a couple of the other Canberra crew, and there is a few who have shown interest. I’ll keep you posted

Interruptedbyfireworks and skull like this.
  22. Interruptedbyfireworks

Ok so this is a backpack I have, how does this work with the board (+ snowshoes)
    @skifree

Attached Files:

skifree likes this.
  23. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That will be fine. I would not bother with snow shoes for Signature. If you are doing the tour thing I would maybe go a split, as they will teach you how to use it, how to skin etc. But if you just want to have a go out there, its an easy walk. A friend once said, if someone says they are interested, take them up Signature, if they whinge at least its short. If they love it, then they might be OK to take somewhere longer.

kylep, crackson, skifree and 2 others like this.
  24. telecrag

Are you around on Sunday?

25. skifree

That's the plan @telecrag

26. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yup sooooooo keen!!

Lady Penelope, skull and telecrag like this.
  27. zac150

Will be up with the clan plus @Lady Penelope and her boys. I was possibly thinking of skiing to dead horse Sunday afternoon

skifree and Lady Penelope like this.
  28. telecrag

Clans and plans.

zac150 likes this.
  29. skifree

A bus will need to be booked to truck all back.

30. zac150

My plus one will likely pick us up at the far end

skifree likes this.
  31. telecrag

Uber shuttle style?

32. telecrag

Coz now we will have about 20 people?

zac150 and skull like this.
  33. zac150

More like shuttle people back to get cars to get people.......

telecrag likes this.