1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Ben Lomond 2015 - Trip reports, pictures & conditions

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by Tasjez, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Thought I would kick off the 2015 season. Would love to know if Ben Lomond is picking up any love from the current series of fronts crossing the state?

2. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You can always check out the webcams assuming they are updating, are not iced up and it's not completely socked in up there...
    http://www.ntac.org.au/web-cams/

3. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture Moderator

Could this be the best season in a long time?
    Will it be short lived?

Will you party hard anyway and ski/board a bit if you can?

Ben Lomond Bliss 2015 is the 'corner of the bar' place to hang out and chat about all things Ben Lomond :D

See you on the slopes

4. BenLomond Iceman

BenLomond Iceman One of Us

i will add to this quite convo brad ..

looking like something brewing south easterly for benlomond wednesday / thursday .. might come off . we have got big snow from systems like this in years past

Ben Lomond Brad likes this.
  5. Alkaros

Alkaros Hard Yards

So are there any lifts open etc? I'm going to find my self in Launceston in a fortnight for work, was keen to do a day trip on the weekend since it's so close.

What are costs for lifts/ hire etc?

6. Ben Lomond Brad

Nothing open as yet. Worth a day drip just for the drive (you need to carry chains) and a beer/coffee at the pub.

7. BenLomond Iceman

mountain has a good base - its frozen up there . if the atmosphere stays cold a chance of some snow tonight with this front timing is important - and maybe on and off a bit this week - we will in a be a bit of snow / thaw situation this week as usual -
    fairly typical june patten

Ben Lomond Brad likes this.
  8. almontyrat

While I'm all for wishful thinking and would dearly love to see the Ben with a half a foot of snow and more on the way, I think calling the current cover "a good base" is a wee bit of a stretch. Chunks of ice are better than liquid water but that's about as far as it goes IMHO.

http://www.ntac.org.au/web-cams/front-slopes-cam/

9. BenLomond Iceman

it was on sunday , its the ben , snow melts quick as weather is northerly now, the cams show nothing over the back which can be deceiving as it holds snow much better and can be 2-3 degrees colder. The front slopes go quick unless there is a huge cover on it - still nothing much in the way of snow weather on the radar now until next week - maybe late tue-wed . stay tuned

10. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Wow - you missed out :( Tracked around to the north and missed Tassie?

11. almontyrat

Yep pretty much. It's been cool and a bit cloudy but nothing much happening here on the mid north coast. That's Tassie snow for you.....Fickle :)

12. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

13. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I didn't read it as negative. I saw this weather pattern in 2007, when we made our first trip to Tassie. Hoping to see plenty of snow at Ben Lomond and Cradle Mountain - we didn't :( The locals were all very hopeful of the big system coming but it tracked around them to the north. There was a couple of positives. We had lovely cold weather with clear sunny days most of the time. Getting the ferry back and on our drive back to Brisbane we detoured to Hotham and experienced the snow dump that Tassie missed out on.

Ramshead likes this.
  14. S-man

S-man Hard Yards

Typical cut off low result for Tassie, if it all happened 600 odd km further to the south BL and Mawson would probably have 50cm each.
    We are due for a big Mawson system, one like 2010 would be nice, or was it 2011?

Too bad there isn't more snow making on the Ben, the 2 guns look to be producing some reasonable results.

15. Ben Lomond Brad

Ramshead likes this.
  16. Ben Lomond Jez

Ben Lomond Jez Hard Yards

Extremely windy, it snowed/hailed/sleet and wetter stuff on and off but as you can see on the cams the difference was "sweet FA" as Flea would say, nothing to write home about but here I am...

17. sircrackerjc

sircrackerjc Hard Yards

How well the man made stuff is holding up just makes you dream of the winters we'd have if money grew on trees.

Ben Lomond Jez likes this.
  18. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Forecast looking good for Friday afternoon through to Monday, could be the season opener we have been waiting for!

19. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Looking at the cams and snow has already started falling, lets just hope it keeps on falling!

20. Ben Lomond Jez

Can confirm its snowing very heavily, uploaded a pic to Snowsports Facebook

21. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

OK so we got the dump we were hoping for, need to get out there and start compacting it down so a solid base forms. Would have loved to have seen the snow guns firing today adding to the cover!
    Looks like good follow up snow for later this week, particularly Thursday, and then again early next week - August is looking the goods!
    Also does anyone know what the lift/tows pricing will be for this year?

22. Ben Lomond Jez

Puking right now! very strong winds so should be some nice stashes in the morning, but also some wind affected crud :) Bass was running today in very strong winds the AE crew are doing a great job. Lift tickets have been $10-$20 depending on what' s running. I can't remember what the temperature was on Monday but we need -4 or so when the humidity is 100% and running in the day has additional safety problems, we have to run hoses across the ski run. The cover in the snow making areas is already quite sufficient though, just need the natural stuff to keep falling for the rest of the mountain to get going. The biggest constraint is $$$ not the weather, the snowmaking is paid for by snowsports, so we may not have them running even if we get the right weather.
    Edit: oh and almost forgot, I think the full price for lift tickets will be $65 same as last year but you may have to check with AE

23. BenLomond Iceman

15 -20 cm over night - hopefully the same again tonight & in the morning saturday - looking great for more snow on and off through to next wednesday - late next week the ben should be looking great

24. Alexski

Alexski Addicted

Cams look Great for yesterday arvo ! (1st Aug).

25. S-man

S-man Hard Yards

Would be cool if someone could wipe off the cams tomorrow morning.

26. Ben Lomond Jez

bring up your chisel! it's a thick layer of ice on the windows, just be assured there is a lot of snow up here, white everywhere, and there's lots of photo's online. Will try to clear them but we've been so busy and it's not priority no. 1, and the ice is so thick it will take more than a quick wipe with a chux :)

27. Andy Breaking Trail

Andy Breaking Trail Early Days

28. kiter

kiter One of Us

Better than looking rocky ;-)

29. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Had a great day on the mountain on Saturday, bit of chaos in the car park, and the cue on village was quite long at times, however T-bars on back slopes were moving quickly.
    Snow cover was great and the conditions superb, one out of the box!
    Hopefully we get a few more weeks of this, and a decent top up over the next couple of days.

30. Ben Lomond Jez

the last 2 days (mon 10/8 & tues 10/8) have been awesome, great snow and no lines

31. Ben Lomond Jez

The mountain is mostly a big bumpy ice sheet, still a lot of fun to be had but I'm sure most people will be waiting for it to soften up. There has been some snow but the wind has done its usual job of blowing it into only a few spots.

32. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Looking good for a decent top up on Saturday

33. Ben Lomond Jez

Had a bit of snow last night and today but due to the wind it has only collected in certain spots, most of the mountain is a bumpy ice sheet

34. Tasjez

Tasjez Hard Yards

Such a shame tow's are closed, cover still looks bloody good on cams, and I find myself with an afternoon free!

35. Ben Lomond Jez

Beautiful soft and smooth snow today, you missed out. I rode all day, hiking up of course. The best run was from the top of giblin all the way into the valley to the west, I would of never done it if the tows were running :)

Tasjez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.