Snow Report Ben Lomond 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

sircrackerjc

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2011
Hobart, Tas
Alpine Enterprises website now has a banner saying that the business is under offer. Anyone got any wisdom on how this may impact 2021 season? Good, bad or otherwise....

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Alpine Enterprises website now has a banner saying that the business is under offer. Anyone got any wisdom on how this may impact 2021 season? Good, bad or otherwise....
No Idea from a business sense sorry. TBH you would have to be bonkers to buy that business. Due to covid and an extremely poor snow season last year, they managed to run 1 tow for 1 day for the whole season, not exactly a money making enterprise. With so little capacity to make snow or even farm out the sporadic natural between the rocks it really is skiing in desperation. The Ben can be great fun when there is masses of snow but I fear those events are so few and far between as to be untenable.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
The Alpine Enterprises website (such that it is) has a banner saying that the business is under offer and that hand over is imminent. Mind you it was last updated on 18th June. If they get a big dump, they better be ready to get things rolling or the fleeting Tassie season may pass them by (or is it buy or even bye)....

UPDATE 18th June 2021

Welcome everyone to another Covid19 impacted Ben Lomond Snow Season. The safety of our Staff and Guests is paramount, and we will continue to follow all Tas. Gov. Public Health Guidelines.

We’d also like to welcome all the new people you’ll meet this year with both Ski Lifts and other Commercial ventures.

AE is nearing the completion of a Sale to an enthusiastic and experienced Group. We only await the final paperwork from the Landlord and they will be your new Operators for 2021, and offer all future Lifting on BL.

We will remain on site, looking after all our Infrastructure until the formal Transfer is completed, not far away.

Links from our Website and Instagram will be created between AE and the new Owners so you won’t miss a thing!

I wish you all a fantastic Season in 2021, and beyond!

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I am assuming that the "landlord" referred to in the above post is Parks. I wish all parties luck in negotiating an amicable and workable agreement. Having dealt with Parks in relation to skiing on Ben Lomond at various times over the years, Luck is certainly going to be required....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Reactions: skifree

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Two days is double what they had last season, one tow ran for one day in 2020 and that was way over the back requiring a boot pack to even get there. I wish them well but 100 day season??? surely you jest.
I've always had a dream of retiring in a cooler climate and Tasmania seems to fit the bill. I'd love to visit the Ben one day but with the hit and miss snow conditions makes it difficult. They would probably have a chance if a snow factory system similar to what Buller has would be a positive step.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I've always had a dream of retiring in a cooler climate and Tasmania seems to fit the bill. I'd love to visit the Ben one day but with the hit and miss snow conditions makes it difficult. They would probably have a chance if a snow factory system similar to what Buller has would be a positive step.
There are three major obstacles to making enough snow on Ben Lomond.

A) Water or lack there of. It is in one of the lowest rainfall parts of the state and there is no substantial storage infrastructure on the mountain (dam etc.). Given Parks objection to you moving even one rock for safety reasons, the likelyhood of being granted permission to get the dozers in and push a reasonable size dam is pretty slim.

B) Power or lack there of. There is no electricity on the Ben and running snow making via generator would be very expensive. I can't see Hydro Tas donating the infrastructure to connect the Ben to the electricity grid any time soon.

C) Climate. As above, the Ben is in a wee bit of a rain shadow from the South and West. It tends to get its best snow from the south east but such systems are few and far between. It is frequently very windy so getting (and keeping) snow on the slopes is problematic. It is also very exposed and subject to what is locally know as "The Hair Dryer". A warm (ish) westerly wind that melts and evaporates snow at a n alarming rate.

I wish the new owners every success but unless they have a few politicians and high ranking Parks aficionados on side, They will come up against all the roadblocks that have plagued snow sports development on Ben Lomond for decades.

• Sad
Reactions: skifree

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
There are three major obstacles to making enough snow on Ben Lomond.

A) Water or lack there of. It is in one of the lowest rainfall parts of the state and there is no substantial storage infrastructure on the mountain (dam etc.). Given Parks objection to you moving even one rock for safety reasons, the likelyhood of being granted permission to get the dozers in and push a reasonable size dam is pretty slim.

B) Power or lack there of. There is no electricity on the Ben and running snow making via generator would be very expensive. I can't see Hydro Tas donating the infrastructure to connect the Ben to the electricity grid any time soon.

C) Climate. As above, the Ben is in a wee bit of a rain shadow from the South and West. It tends to get its best snow from the south east but such systems are few and far between. It is frequently very windy so getting (and keeping) snow on the slopes is problematic. It is also very exposed and subject to what is locally know as "The Hair Dryer". A warm (ish) westerly wind that melts and evaporates snow at a n alarming rate.

I wish the new owners every success but unless they have a few politicians and high ranking Parks aficionados on side, They will come up against all the roadblocks that have plagued snow sports development on Ben Lomond for decades.
Sounds screwed. Mawson would probably face a similar situation being in a national Park.

Reactions: almontyrat

RARRRRRRR

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2008
Hobart
New owners have good communication so far.
Ill try send them some money (pending lifts running).

Maybe parks attitude changes?
They seem to not give a crap about cradle anymore :p
Happy to build anywhere and milk it for $

Maybe they get mtb going?

I rode up to ben on my gravel bike last year hah
Bens pretty ripe for monetising trail running, gravel and mountain biking (growing much faster than snow sports)

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 05.36.49.jpg

Reactions: nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a