1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ben Lomond - Cost verses Experience

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by oze, Jul 5, 2011.

1. oze

oze Hard Yards

Re: Ben Lomond snow reports 2011

Your not alone hobo, ive been to lomond bout 8 times in the last few years and been completely ripped off on 7 of those occasions. Last time i went i was charged $55 for 1 beginner tow and about 3 hours of operation on one of the others, yet my mates the day before got 4 tows for $40. At least have some consistency.
    Most of these guys on the forum must either work on the mountain or be friends of the workers because they are always defending the poor poor service and high prices. Last year i promissed myself id never go back and i wish id stuck to that because ive been ripped off time and time again, even when the weather and tow running capabillitys are totally predictable. I dont want to hear this crap about how much work it is to get things running when the people up there move like a sloth with a leg chopped off.
    Mt feild is definately the go.

2. Mr_Yagi

Mr_Yagi First Runs

Oze,
    Yes some people who post work up there, the rest are people that have spent more time than 8 days in 3 seasons up there and appreciate the work that goes into making the mountain operate. In case you had not noticed the season started nearly 2 months earlier than the previous 5 years and maybe the previous 20, That is why there is not a full quota of lifts operating maybe if you had been there often enough to even comment on the situation up there you would have a case to plead.
    Your attitude is not welcome along with Yobo's have fun at Mawson. I am sure you will find something to bitch about there also. By the way your comment was not a snow report, get with the program D'oze. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#2 Mr_Yagi, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. BenLomond Iceman

BenLomond Iceman One of Us

On the positive side i Heard a wisper tows should re-open this saturday with a little more snow this week which we should!

4. Mr_Yagi

Mr_Yagi First Runs

Here Here BLIM it looking promising

5. oze

oze Hard Yards

Getting ripped off 7 out of 8 days is plenty enough for me. People look on this forum to see if it's worth going up the mountain and it's only fair to let the first timers know that there's a good chance they'll get ripped off. If we're paying $55 we deserve to have more than a beginner tow running and if u cant get more tows going we shouldn't pay that much. It's that simple.
    So i've got every right to comment on the situation and i don't need to be on the mountain to hear whats happening. Word gets around. By the way, the snow report is the ideal place to warn people.

6. BenLomondBezzer

BenLomondBezzer Hard Yards

Totally understand your frustration Oze. Unfortunately the mountain ruled by the weather, in more cases it is operated by the weather. This season so far there has been a lot of wind around and this also limits their ability to run the lifts. anything about about 20 to 25 knots and the t bars will be turning in their spring boxes and when this happens the chances of the T bar actually retracting into the springbox are pretty much 0 and just too dangerous to run.

IMO, I think a lot of the locals are just trying to say that the ones that can do anything to keep the mountain running are working from 8am to 4pm and in quite a few cases this year wouldn't even stop for a break. (Thanks Josh and numerous others)

The forum is an important place that the public are trying to get information about the conditions on the mountain and its obvious that when the reports aren't getting updated that they are reliant on people posting information about what its like.

With the snow cam down for some parts of the last few weeks hasn't helped also.

How was the weather up there the day you went up? I can understand your frustration in having to pay full price also, but dependant on the amount of staff it takes to keep the lifts going ( if its raining and they have three people shovelling to keep the lifts open).

It would be interesting to find out the weather and day you went up to find out more.

Don't loose faith yet Oze, Ben Lomond is the best chance we have in Tasmania to keep skiing alive and there is change in the air up there with investment in snow making and a groomer the businesses up there are trying their utmost to improve things for all to enjoy and importantly to improve customer satisfaction.

7. nathanoakley

nathanoakley First Runs

i tend to agree with oze. i am a member of a hut and have been up pretty much every skiiable weekend for the last 15yrs or so. was up for the last saturday that the lifts operated. conditions were shitte but the media report said it was good. false information. also there was half of village, bass and summit runing. summit barely skiable. the price was the same as if the whole resort was running. not really good enough. if your paying full price u deserve to have the whole resort to use. therefore if there are only 3 lifts running then it shouldnt be full price. i know he has costs of running etc but look at the carpark now days. no one comes up anymore. if he dropped his prices when he has only part of the resort running i dare say he will attract more people therefore more profit for both him and ski school (the latter being the main developer of the mountain this year). i know its early in the season but 55 dollars is 55 dollars no matter what the day is. we need to draw more peoople to our mountain not push them away

8. xecute

xecute Hard Yards

Lift Pass
    Mt Buller:$104 /day
    Thredbo $107 /day
    Perisher $109 /day

I would say that $55 /day is already discounted to factor in the conditions. Maybe variable pricing is a good idea, however you would expect the price to increase for good conditions and not just decrease for poor conditions.

Also it looks like it is going to snow a bit for the weekend and next week, so a single pricing structure is looking good in the short run.

9. nathanoakley

nathanoakley First Runs

perisher 31 lifts buller 22 lifts get my drift xecute. cannot compare to mainland resorts. 100 odd dollars over thers is not to bad especially when you can get weekend/weekly passes at a discount rate. they also have snowmaking and groomed slopes. we have none of that. just a few workers with shovels. we dont compare to mainland resorts. also there prices are cheaper if there not at full capacity. what im saying is we need to attract people not push them away. ill be still coming up no matter what

10. BenLomond Iceman

Its a bit like that the Ben you take it for what it is even though often it can be frustrating !.. Yes on the mainland you do get your dollars worth from a lift ticket as they have the infrastructure in place though the lift ticket is the least of your expenses !.

11. Ravernaughts

Ravernaughts First Runs

The saturday we were up there, ten of us paying to have bare dry wood on the t-bar lift line ramps we all felt a bit ripped of. Out of the $550 we payed for what we knew was going to be an average day for conditions and access, that a little of that money didnt go to paying someone to shovel snow for 5 mins every now and then was dissapointing and resulted in injuries and damage to equipment. Heard similar complaints from others. Just sayin. I've worked mountains before, it's not easy but it's not that hard either.

On topic, snows looking good for the week. MOAR SNOW!

12. CaptainPowder

CaptainPowder Hard Yards

same tired old bs..... i really think its funny to compare Ben to anywhere (maybe clubbies in NZ..... ;p) seriously thanks to all those involved on the hill, if it was my business i would have folded years ago. Well done, if you dont like it its really simple, dont come. [​IMG]

hardly a snow report but...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#12 CaptainPowder, Jul 6, 2011
  13. TheBear

TheBear First Runs

So what should we pay to ski at Ben Lomond ? (sounds like a good name for new thread ?). Its always with a wry smile when I see these types of discussions come up every year.
    I think it’s impossible to compare Ben to other m'land resorts –scales of economy, costs for travel and accommodation etc. Is $55 fair and reasonable – it may seem a tad expensive but at the end of the day its just up the road from Hob/Laun and I also understand (at best) it’s a marginal business. I myself run a small business and I frankly don't know how Errol does it – how he determines his cashflow to meet rising costs (esp in the last 2yrs with little snow) and do it at 75+ yrs is beyond me. So if you think you can do a better job than AE or think they are living off a cash cow – make an offer – you never know Errol may accept it.
    BTW I was skiing the other Sat, I knew it was icy (from reading the forums), yes there were only 3 lifts going (ex beginners), but the queues were short. I also respected that other tows were not ready, because nobody expected an earlier start to the season and also that based on the num of skiers, there would have been little pt employing extra staff
    PS Sorry for my long 2 cents but I think this should be a new thread

14. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture Moderator

Ok, so I know this is opening up a can of worms, but it seems the "Reports" thread has started to drift in this direction.

While I am sure this may get heated at times, please remember to 'play the ball, not the man'. Personal attacks will not be tollerated

Where possible, try to make it a constructive discussion.

Above all, remember that those on the mountain do not have direct net access, nor always read these forums.

I will attempt to move comments from the "report" thread later.

[​IMG] BLB

#14 Ben Lomond Brad, Jul 6, 2011
  15. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

Same tired old arguments.

Ben Lomond will never be a resort, its a fact that people have to accept. AE can more or less charge what they like, there is no competition.
    Incremental changes such as summer and winter grooming, snowmaking will make a difference over time and improve the product.

If you want better skiing experiences go to the mainland or NZ, if you organise it right/are flexible its not too expensive.

That said its good having somewhere local to ski, because when the snow is good its great to have the facility nearby, take the kids etc.

For me, I spend my skiing budget on the mainland, if Ben has more than 75% of the mountain open, then it gets a visit from me otherwise I don't bother.

16. Tezwah

Tezwah Hard Yards

The up coming terrain park will make it worth it [​IMG] GET ON BOARD!

#16 Tezwah, Jul 6, 2011
  17. The boy from Tas

The boy from Tas Hard Yards

It's the Ben. It is what it is, take it or leave it. There are people up there working to improve it, but no one can control the weather and the Ben gets the most varied weather of probably any other ski area in Australia.

18. whatever

whatever First Runs

Do my eyes deceive me..$22 entry to get into the park now ???????
    It really is starting to be a few $$$$$$ too much in my opinion,$77 for a days sliding . Easy to see why people aren't bothering nowadays!! I'd hate to have a skiing family.. .And yes I know the costs of running a business, I run one too, and I know all about the varying weather and it's effects. I started skiing in the early 80s and maybe it's my fading memory but, I seem to remember there being a lot more snow back then, I definately remember snow pushed up in the car park over my 6ft head. Oh, and I had an egg and bacon pie 2yrs ago, not from the pub, it was so dry I think it was a leftover from the year before!!

19. CaptainPowder

CaptainPowder Hard Yards

[​IMG] buy all parks pass and bring sangers [​IMG] simple ;p

#19 CaptainPowder, Jul 6, 2011
  20. platypus546

platypus546 First Runs

only way to do it - bring your own stuff if you are after a cheap day out - I used to just go the afternoon, sure it's not as fresh, but it's an easy trip from hobart or launceston, then just enjoy what's there.

don't analyse it too much - it's either skiable or not.

21. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmmmm, why would someone call themselves "platypus" and have a wallaby (or similar) as an avatar?

22. Riaino

Riaino First Runs

I don't think you Tassie people appreciate the convenience of your snowfields, I salivated when I learned that Ben Lomond was 60km from Launceston.

For your average mainland punter who doesn't live the in most convenient Melbourne suburbs a trip to the snow is an epic event involving hours in the car to and from, accomodation costs and food prices that made me actually choke on a chip when I first heard them. Such are the efforts that you usually have to pre-plan/book to get a good deal and then you're at the mercy of the weather. I've fretted in the leadup to trips that the weather will be bad or there won't be any snow and calculated the cost per hour of the actual 16 hours snow time in a 60 hour trip at $100+ per hour.

So while $55 for 4 t-bars compared to $107 for "up to" 21 assorted lift does seem steep, you don't HAVE to cop a lot of the ancilliary costs that you can't avoid on the mainland

And yet I want to go to BL and Buller this year, I'm sure that says something about deficiencies with my personality.

23. oze

oze Hard Yards

This isnt a debate about travel costs. Its about the lift ticket price. I have to travel 3.5 hrs but im not complaining about that. I recently spent about 8k on a trip to Whistler but you cant compare it.
    Its all good now though cos field is on.

24. melissajane

melissajane First Runs

I can completely understand how it would be unfair to pay full price for only 2 or so runs. But hey, at least we are given a choice to go up and use those couple of runs, rather than just have them closed and give us no opportunity at all.

By the way, I believe the single vehicle entry pass is actually $24 to Ben Lomond, but you are better off getting an annual pass for all the parks for $96 if you plan on going up a few times this winter. [​IMG]

#24 melissajane, Jul 7, 2011
  25. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

The all parks annual pass is very good value, any national park at any time, as much as you like for the whole year.
    Substantially cheaper than the mainland.

26. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

Simple if you don't like it then bugger off!.
    Take it or leave it enjoy what we have. keep up the good work AE [​IMG]

#26 Powder_skier, Jul 7, 2011
  27. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

geez theres alot of newbies in this thread

28. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

Thats caus us old farts have seen this rant tooo many times before and know better than to get involved

29. BenLomond Iceman

Blah blah blah and blah !

30. platypus546

platypus546 First Runs

I've been on here for ages, but mustn't post enough to be nothing more than "new"

I love the Tas fields, they are easy and help with the snow fix - but I get so sick of hearing the same old argument about how far it all is away and so hard to do - last season I had the luck of being made redundant mid season - so got a pay out, went for an interview in the morning in Hobart, hit the snow in the afternoon -

what other capital city in Australia can you do that?

31. Tezwah

Tezwah Hard Yards

Canberra [​IMG] haha i totally get what you mean though!

#31 Tezwah, Jul 7, 2011
  32. nathanoakley

nathanoakley First Runs

i maybe a newbie to the forum stuff but iv been going up the mountain all my life. do have a membership in a lodge as mentioned before. so i spend my fair share of cash up there every season. 55 dollars for all lifts running is not a problem for me. but paying 55 for 1 and a half runs isnt fair. i know the snow was poor and he didnt run the sunday cos of snow conditions but to ask full price for the lifts he had running on the last saturday he ran isnt fair. years ago he would have discounted the price if he was only running those lifts. i dont have a problem with ae as others seem to be saying. i love skiing BL and will continue to do so. i think the mountain is heading in the right direction but as i said before. look in the car park nowdays its empty.

33. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

Ever thought of buying a seasons pass? or asking for the best price as I'm sure hell give you a good deal

#33 Powder_skier, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  34. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony First Runs

Yes we are lucky to have such an accesable mountain, but this whole "like it or lump it" attitude that seems to be coming across on here is really poor.
    I run a business that is focussed on delivering a service to customers, so I have a good understanding of how to maintain goood customer relations, and P'ing poeple off is not the way to go about it.
    I know there will allways be people that you cant please no matter what you do, but if you are consistantly getting the same complaint from a number of different peolpe, then its obvious that they may have a point.
    Sure, you cant control the weather, but if only 2 or 3 lifts are running because the early start caught everyone by suprise then maybe something like an early bird special of say $40 instead of $55 would mean that a lot more people would come up on those more marginal days, and would most likely spend that extra money in the pub or on luch, so everybody wins. A little bit of good will goes a very long way to ensuring that the punters are happy and will continue to return.
    It"s all about perception, if customers feel that they are getting a good deal then they will spend their hard earned, but if they feel like they are getting shafted, whether that is the case or not, they will stay home and spent their money elsewhere.
    Its true AE do a great job providing these services year after year in difficult circumstances, but could improve a little in the customer satisfaction department.
    Here's hoping this season and the next are massive for them and they can turn a decent profit.

35. Mr_Yagi

Mr_Yagi First Runs

That is correct Fat Tony you are right on all counts, the problem is people only b*ing on here and not on the day discussing the situation with the business owner. He being the only one that could change that perception for them.

36. Tezwah

Tezwah Hard Yards

What is said on here does make its way to the people who can do something.. I have been reminded of that on a number of occasions!

37. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony First Runs

You make a very good point Mr Yagi.
    I tell my customers that if they aren't happy with something to let me know right away so that i can fix it, because I cant do anything about it if I dont know the problem exists. I guess bye and large people wait until they are completely fed up and dont return or they are that upset that they blow their top and are rude to staff, which gets them no where. maybe it's better for a business to approach the customer and ask them if there is anything they are not happy about, weed out those that complain for the sake of complaining and then annalyse the feed back.
    Mind you, it seems that AE are making some big improvements this year with the snow making and slope grooming being an excellent step foward, so lets get behind them and help make those improvements worthwhile.

38. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony First Runs

As for those posters on here saying that "if you dont like it then bugger off", get real !
    you might have good intentions, defending Errol's business, but by making people feel unwelcome, you may be doing more harm than good and killing off repeat business. Peolple should be able to express dissatisfaction with something in a respectful way, without being shouted down so to speak as if by complaining they are attacking someones integrity.
    The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer.

39. BurnsideCrew

BurnsideCrew First Runs

40. oze

oze Hard Yards

Totally agree Fat Tony. I've always voiced my dissatisfaction and asked for an explanation respectfully at the ticket booth as well as to the lift operators, but it hasn't done me any good. I usually just get a response like they are sick of hearing it. The new investments in hardware are really good to see but it looks like some attitudes need to change too. I wont be back untill i think it's changed.

41. doomechanic

doomechanic First Runs

Speaking from a staff point of view, the best person to discuss issues with is eryl at the ticket office. Staff don't go out of our way to be rude, but do remember we're only human. The maintenance staff in particular are under heavy stress and constant frustration dealing with daily operations and rarely have the time to enter into discussion with the public. We do try to be polite, but I'm the first to admit that if we've got major problems, chances are I'll tell someone to bugger off if they come annoying me.
    If due to weather or other circumstances operations are running at a lower standard than expected, try to have a friendly discussion at the ticket window, and chances are you'll get a positive response.

42. Ravernaughts

Ravernaughts First Runs

This.

#42 Ravernaughts, Jul 12, 2011
  43. Powder_skier

Powder_skier First Runs

keep up the good work... nice too see ben lomond groomed thats a first ;)!

#43 Powder_skier, Jul 12, 2011
  44. Ravernaughts

Ravernaughts First Runs

keep up the good work... people piercing boards on nail heads, thats a first ;)?

See what i did there?

#44 Ravernaughts, Jul 12, 2011
  45. Mr_Yagi

Mr_Yagi First Runs

No we dont see, there is no picture. Did you let anyone know what happened and where it was so it could be addressed? Or could it have been one of the millions of rocks on the mountain?

46. Ravernaughts

Ravernaughts First Runs

1. Snow
    2. Service
    3. Maintanence
    4. ????
    5. Profit

#46 Ravernaughts, Jul 13, 2011
  47. Jonwah

Jonwah Hard Yards

I was up there the same day and managed to get my mates board nailed by a nail sticking out of the top ramp on Summit.

Would have said something to lift crews but after that very run I literally had to run off the mountain to catch a bus.

Not complaining, just saying - If it hasn't been fixed / brought up yet, and one of the AE employees reads this, please look into it - I know another couple of peoples boards were sliced by the same nail.

48. CaptainPowder

CaptainPowder Hard Yards

i for one dont understand your point, went up today had fun skiied summit 10 times on morning ticket ($38), $3.80 per run, im happy with that. back to work by 3 happy
    [​IMG]

#48 CaptainPowder, Jul 13, 2011
  49. Ravernaughts

Ravernaughts First Runs

#49 Ravernaughts, Jul 13, 2011
  50. sircrackerjc

sircrackerjc Hard Yards

Went up today with two others from Hobart. Apart from the wind and bills not open had a great day. All for less than $100 each including fuel in a guzzling 4WD. Snow was good. New gear was great. Will be back up again soon.