Ben Lomond Snow Condition Reports

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Hey everyone. If you have been up the mountain for a slide, add your comments on the snow conditions here. Please make sure you add the date you are reporting on, and the runs/areas that you skied/boarded.

(We can keep Ben Lomond Bliss for the general Ben Lomond chatter this way)

Cheers
BLB
Ben Lomond Enthusiast
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

tom11

First Runs
May 23, 2006
Lauceston, TAS
It snowed lighty till 2ish. Was a very very noice:) day up there. Got a board late in the afternoon. Snow was good, i heard it was abit icey early in the morning.

This was @11ish
ben11.jpg

Wellingtonviewer

First Runs
Jul 6, 2007
Tasmania
Great pic Tom11 looks great up there, in comparison to the report by parks saying they had lost cover up there.
Heading up there in 2 weeks time so should be good with good falls over the next week.Looks like all the pre frontal rain with the change on Tuesday should be snow up there!!!!!

Wellingtonviewer

First Runs
Jul 6, 2007
Tasmania
Who is taking over the report BLI?So important to have reliable reports on conditions,if parks aren't that interested.Much fell overnight?,interesting to see Gray and St Helens picked up over 20mm.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Conditions today are hard & fast.. Hard frost overnight .. Snow fell most of yesterday though we still probably lost a bit of cover.. Sking is marginal on the front but better over the back..

looks like we will get more snow overnight and possibly heavy snow on saturday.... Sunday could be a beauty!!

Get ready everyone!! shes a coming!

tom11

First Runs
May 23, 2006
Lauceston, TAS
Sun was out all day today but it stayed around the -1 mark most of the day so didn't loose that much snow. As iceman said very hard frost over night. There is talk of a third lift openning tomorra (gilblin).

These photo's where at 1ish
reben137.jpg

reben13a7.jpg

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Latest news is that Bass, Village and Giblin will be open tomorrow (Sat) and Summit and Bills are ready to go as soon as there is a bit more snow on the lift lines, and there is a couple more lines down the mountain.

Currently (Friday 7:30) snowing on the Ben, so all is looking promising.

coops

Hard Yards
Aug 13, 2001

Legges Tor is the highest point 1573m
Lift basically takes you to the top

Vertical drop is said to be 125m

Although I thought it was only 92m, and believe me, it does seem to be that when you only take 30 seconds to ski top to bottom !

Google Earth has a great clear picture and you can see all the lift lines 41.32S, 147.40E

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

bigeoff

First Runs
Jul 14, 2007
WHATS HAPPENING UP THERE IS IT SNOWING.
AM KEEN TO COME UP SUNDAY AND DONATE SOME MONEY TO THE MOUNTAIN AND KEEP THESE GUYS GOING UNTIL PARKS GET OFF THERE [auto-censor] AND GIVE THEM SOME WATER FOR SNOWMAKING.
MT SELWYN WAS LIKE THIS UNTIL THEY GOT SNOWMAKING AND LOOK AT THEM NOW THEY ARE GOING BEAUTIFUL.

tom11

First Runs
May 23, 2006
Lauceston, TAS
A B E A U TIFUL day on the ben today. Snow was on the ground a km or two down from the parks booth. Road was supper slippery chains are a must and i would think you will need them tomorra as well.

Very busy day and the snow was great, 5cm to 10cm over night and it started snowing when i was leaving 5ish.

The T bars are not hung on sumit yet, but a chance of lifts open tomorra. Bills and giblin, watch out for all the hung over boys from the bender.

Be very careful on the road as it was very slippery. The bus was running from town and up and down the ladder.

A few quick shots from when i was leaving it was very cold. Sorry not up to the normal quality. Ones the office window and then village and bass lifts

snowsports1.jpg

ben14.jpg

hobartboarder

First Runs
Aug 24, 2003
Hobart
Went up fri arvo-sat, Bass and Village were open all day with bills opening about lunch time, Was a little bit icey where the wind had blown off the fresh top, but were plenty of spots where it hung around. Was a great day up the Ben! Cheers too the bloke in the hire shop for fixing my board too!

tom11

First Runs
May 23, 2006
Lauceston, TAS
Where's the sunscreen?? was the word of the day.

Great day again today, super busy. 5 lifts open up in the end i think, 4 tomorra i think.

No pic's yet, gotta go and watch the GP, will post some latter.

hoabartboarder: no problem, anytime

tom11

First Runs
May 23, 2006
Lauceston, TAS
Here is some very quick photo's. Bit pissed off at the moment. the $tar bar closed up with 15laps to go in the MotoGp on us
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Very cold in lton at the moment @ 23:43.

@3:30 to 4ish
reben1.jpg

on the way home
re15ben2.jpg

Helena

First Runs
Jul 13, 2007
Amsterdam
www.tripadvisor.com
Hi tom11,
Can you keep that great snow & weather for me for early August pls.. when I see today's photos I just would love to be there NOW.. would be great to add Tassie or Thredbo on my list.. Thredbo might actually work out.. have two full free days when in Sydney.. 26-27 July.. researching how to get the etc from Sydney.. they have had some great shots at their forum yesterday.. fingers crossed & maybe see on the mountain.. H

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
things are looking wicked guys! Yesterday was great skiing after about 5cm overnight on saturday.. Would describe sking conditions as fair to good! Giblin & bills are the best skiing..

Next weekend (21-22nd July) will be the best skiing in tassie since 2004 (im predicting a fine weekend) We should should get another 10-15cm of fresh snow this tuesday / wednesday!

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Sunday morning around 10am
ta1000823.jpg

Some great stashes of soft snow snow to befoiund all over the mountain. Very dry snow fell on Saturday night, leaving a good cover almost everywhere. Lots of windblown snow and a few icey patches, still very soft over the tops of some of the bushes.

Best snow was over the back and to skiers left of summit

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Very touch and go with the temps but they are starting to drop now.
Launceston 17/09:30am 9.0
Launceston Airport 17/09:35am 7.9

S-man

Hard Yards
Jun 23, 2002
Kalgoorlie WA
It should be ok infact its looking prettey good currently.

U can see here that theres fresh snow at cradle...i think, so with prettey cool temps and percipitation in Lonnie the Ben should have about 5cm already.

http://www.cradlemountain.com/component/option,com_content/task,blogsection/id,5/Itemid,30/

This cam is under 1000asl and u can just see the mountain if its clear but not very well.
Not as cold down south yet but the top of Wellington says currently -0.2 and it looks prettey wet.

http://www.rosebay.tased.edu.au/camera.htm

Fozzy

First Runs
Oct 24, 2002
I was just speaking to some of our guys working on Mt Barrow and it is raing there. Hopefully, as Ben is higher it may be snow but I am not confident though.

Southernly shouldnt be far away though.

LastRun

First Runs
Sep 29, 2003
thanks Beeper, i wish the cameras in Dove lake car park were on-line

Vertical thickness charts(for what their worth)suggest what is falling should be snow at Ben Lomonds altitude

Fozzy

First Runs
Oct 24, 2002
Just had report that snow has been falling on Mt Barrow for a couple of hours.

So, Ben should be getting it now.

tom11

First Runs
May 23, 2006
Lauceston, TAS
I will get some more details soon,

But the new warren miller film is showing at Inveresk on the 27th and 28th july. Not sure of times yet but i think it was $15.

Maybe a ski.com.au get together???

chillin

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
I heard on abc local radio, (ho hum work station), that ben has had 25-30cm of fresh today and is expecting another 2o or so tonight!!!! Freaking me out if thats true!!!! Powfection come thursday i wonder??? Fresh tracks.... yes please!!!!

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
A report from Bulldozer, via the Iceman, is that there was 5-6 inches (12-15cm) of snow today, with some more expected tonight, and that the mountain was pretty much covered from top to bottom. All lifts are ready to run tomorrow and depending on weather conditions, should all be open. Expect some possible delays early in the morning as the grader will be working to clear the road.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Offical from Erryl. 25-30cm fell yesterday & last night in blizard condidions covering the mountain.. extreme conditions today - 6.8 degrees. Road is currently closed for snow plouging.
All vehicles must fit chains.. Snow is down to the park boundary!

4 lifts will open pending weather , and success of digging them out & de-icing...

CaptainPowder

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2003
Launceston, Tasmania
went up today and the cover is sweeeet!!! freshies all day, only front of mountain open, summit icey at top as everything blown down, but some nice pow on the hill (seriously i mean POWDER). Had some sweet turns today, not many people up there either.
Not much visability and the wind could cut you in half but a great day.

Trevtassie

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
OK, here is the real snow report.

There is a bit of wind blown spindrift lurking around the place. In between this there is some fairly slow but nice soft stuff and some ice. Looks like the temp and humidity were up a bit during the night. Not a bad thing though, otherwise most of it would have blown away, instead of being stuck down. Not too many rocks thank goodness. Run of the mountain from the Summit can be found by hiking to the top of the summit near the top wheel and going down to the left of the lift, there's enough snow to get out of the bowl. The bottom run out is a bit miserable but not too bad as you can miss most of the rocks. There's also a nice run if you hang a left when you hit the wheel and head down towards the top of 30sec Poma.
Looks like the back should be OK when it opens, nearly went for a hike over to have a look but couldn't be bothered.

Sorry Captain Powder but that was spindrift up there, not powder.

CaptainPowder

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2003
Launceston, Tasmania
yep thats the way, you have obviosuly spent loads of time at the ben over the years, yes it was spin ( hard to get powder snow in tassie) but it was as good as ben gets.and the snow i was in was soft as...but i guess i love the mountain we have at our doorstep, and after last season here what can i say, i certainly had some nice powder (sorry spindrift lol) turns on the ben today. was pretty hard to make a snowball........oh well i was happy, i guess lol.

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Jonwah said:
anyone know if chains are required at the moment or has the plough done a decent enough job for 4wd's to get by without them? will it be the same tomorrow morning?

Just heard on the Radio only 2WD need chains fitted.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
All vehicles MUST CARRY CHAINS and depending on conditions may be asked to fit them. Be aware that you can be fined for not carrying them, even if you don't need them.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Was in at Skigia this arvo and noticed on there snow report in the window that Alpine are going to have all 7 lifts circling this weekend. Someone is going to have their ring hanging out. But it will be a grand thing to see after all these years. It will be worth a beer on giblin for the last run, see you all up there. BD

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Iceman has just sent this pic through taken with his phone. I think he was trying to brag a little
laugh.gif

ta1000966.jpg

Trevtassie

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
Ok, powder is fluffy white stuff that falls from the sky, when you see some check out the flake size, it's huge, needs very low humidity so it stays light and fluffy. Spindrift is snow that has blown around, sometimes when wetter surface snow has been dried out. If you look at the lighter stuff up on Ben, you'll see that it is made up small grains, not flakes, from being blown around and having the points worn off.
This is not saying that the nice stuff up there isn't nice
The coverage is pretty good for Ben and with a little bit more might get as good as 2004!
With the lack of trees you really don't want powder on Ben, as it would blow away with the first breeze, a little bit of moisture in the snow helps it stick! The other avantage of the wetter snow is the fact that you don't sink into it, as plowing into a rock you can't see is even less fun than plowing into one you can see
mrbang.gif

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
These were also taken today by the Iceman

'Over the back' heading up Fannies Finish

ta1000967.jpg

Snow fence Giblin

ta1000968.jpg

SnowFreek

First Runs
Jul 13, 2007
Perth, TAS, Australia
Thanks heaps for the pics!! Make my tummy hurt sitting here at work looking up at Ben and then to see the pics taken up there wow! I can't wait till the morning! What time do the tows start operating again? See ya there.

SnowFreek

First Runs
Jul 13, 2007
Perth, TAS, Australia
Take Chains like they keep telling us and you wont have a problem.
On the Report it says "Chains will need to be fitted to 2WD vehicles"
I should be ok in my Pajero with chains!!!

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Take chains no matter what you drive - you are not allowed up the ladder without carrying them in 2WD's and 4WD's.

The ranger gets very upset (and can fine you) if the conditions change and you need to fit them onthe way back down and you don't have them.

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
I was up there today pretty ace amount of snow; only 4 tows open though so it will be a bit better when its easier for boarders to get over the back (walking sucks :p) great amount of nice snow over the back but it's still icy in patches, the front is a mix of nice snow and harder stuff but still pretty damn good.. go the ben! this season should be the bomb..

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Just managed to finish all my work at 11 today, so made it up there for an afternoon ticket - what a day!
Sun, snow, got to try out my new gear!
Couldn't find a thing to complain about.
A little icy in patches, but overall - marvellous for Ben.
Looking forward for a few more tows to open.
Tom11 - the road is good, I have an Impreza and you would have no worries getting up there with any form of AWD/4WD without chains as it was today.
HOWEVER, as snowfreak said, you do need to carry them. The last thing I would want is the weather to change and have to come down jacobs without them.

Bring on more snow!!

The boy from Tas

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2007
Tas
convinced mum to give me a day off school and went up today with Captain Powder
tongue.gif

was an epic day for the BEN, with some nice snow to be found. Icy in the morning but after the sun had burnt through some of that crust, it was really nice, especially over the back at Bills/Giblin. one more solid dump and it would be absolutely awesome up there. Also it was good to meet a few 'forumers' up there, especially bulldozer
smile.gif

Sorry i dont have any better shots but i forgot to actually take the camera with me when we went skiing
frown.gif
these were both from the carpark area.

Overall great day and thanks to CP for taking me, Now to see how many more days i can wangle her to give me off lol...
http://cams.ski.com.au/photos/tasmania/2007/ta1000972.jpg
http://cams.ski.com.au/photos/tasmania/2007/ta1000971.jpg

benchez

First Runs
Jul 20, 2007
Righto, what's the go with this cam?! I'm aching to be able to check conditions but still not a cracker. Had a mate went up yesterday and she said it was 'rad'. Hanging for a chance to come up soon! Please snow more and last at leaset another two weeks! Hopefully a good season in store, early days!

Scott H

First Runs
Jul 8, 2007
Hobart
On the mountain at the moment (3G card works OK up here) - road was mainly clear, with a little snow in a few places. You'll have to carry chains though. There is a reasonable amount of snow around in the car park - bit icy. Pretty clear outside at the moment - nothing falling from the sky anyway, and temp was about -4 in the car park about 1 hr ago. Snow was pretty crisp on top walking up to the lodge.

Cheers,
Scott

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass