Ben Lomond Snow Condition Reports

The boy from Tas

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2007
Tas
benchez said:
Righto, what's the go with this cam?! I'm aching to be able to check conditions but still not a cracker.

Read the Ben Lomond Bliss thread.

All questions about the cam have been answered there. In short they are working on it, be patient. Thats why everybody on here has been nice enough to take pics and post them so that others no what it is like.

Last edited by a moderator:

benchez

First Runs
Jul 20, 2007
No worries and a huge thanks to everyone posting pics! After 2 years of crappy snow, i'm hanging out for the time and conditions for a good ride that won't kill my board!

SnowFreek

First Runs
Jul 13, 2007
Perth, TAS, Australia
n673400866_315580_7852.jpg

n673400866_315581_8212.jpg

Nice day up there today.
clap.gif
Cheers to all that ran the tows / fixed the tows. All ran ok.
beer.gif
Only a few minor hiccups.

A reasonable cover. Icy at the start of the day but with hundreds of people they soon chop it up and make for some nice turns.

Check out the number of cars in the car park!

The numbers of people were ok during the morning but during the arvo from about 1-2.30 it was full on. After that the lines went down.

Can't wait to be back up at the ben.

What is the go with the lift prices?
shocked.gif
Now $50. and if you hire gear (ski's) the lot (hire and lift pass) will only cost you $70.

ghost

First Runs
Jul 3, 2007
Saturday:21st PM, long long long queues on all lifts, Fanny's down most of pm. Doubling up on all T-bars. Long wait on Bills for your 30 seconds.
Overal good cover which needs freshing up. Icy dry snow. Hard in morning, best in afternoon.
Cheers to all the photo submitters (keep snapping until the cam gets up!!!).

Stim

First Runs
Jul 22, 2007
Hey snowfreek, in your photos from yesterday, are there some jibbs at Ben?? In the first photo it looks like there might be some, or just something else? Are there any rails at all up there at the moment?

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Very busy on saturday & sunday.. Considering the amount of people (800 cars on saturday) probably more sunday thing ran reasonably smoothly.. There was a few lift breakdown but wasn,t too bad!. Snow still considered good cover on the front.. Very good over the back i rekon!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Good News for all you Hobartians. Andy Muirhead ABC 936 Breakfast show is taking a snow report from me at 6.30 AM monday to friday, I am not 100% sure what air play he is giving it. But this is a big step for the ABC as in the past they have seen it as commercial advertising. Let us know on the thread if any one heres it and if you have anything i should add. just remember this fine line between comercial interest and public information service. This mornings report Which incidently goes via SMS went like this
"Tuesday 24/7. 4 lifts 2day. Snow cover is good. Current weather- temp -1.7 wind 15knot NW, low cloud,visibility 500metres. road open 2 village, all vehicles must fit chains and 2wd may be advised 2 fit them & dont forget a parks pass is required"
Also it would be good to give the ABC some feed back and if they get enough we may be able to get it statewide.

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Hi All,

Went up again yesterday... is so much better with only a few people up there, although you only get four tows during the week as compared to 6/7 on the weekend.

Starting to get down to some harder icy patches in a few areas, but overall still good skiing.

The tow runs are quite cut up from when the tow slows, then pulls you quick again - its up and down and up and down all the way to the top. Saw a few unfortunate boarders come off yesterday as the tow pulled quickly in the middle of a dip.

Just need some more fresh stuff now as the base is there - fingers crossed for later in the week.

Dan

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
SnowManDan said:
Hi All,

Starting to get down to some harder icy patches in a few areas, but overall still good skiing.

The tow runs are quite cut up from when the tow slows, then pulls you quick again - its up and down and up and down all the way to the top. Saw a few unfortunate boarders come off yesterday as the tow pulled quickly in the middle of a dip.

Dan

I think the 40cm snow depth needs updating , Its very firm packed now.

One thing i would like to see up the mountain is the begginers tow operating more, I for one for the life of me cant make it up them tows and refuse to pay $50 to practice getting up the hill.
they should make a beginers rate of say $10 and you get to try out 3 or 5 times.

Im also open to lessons on making it up in one go
smile.gif

Billybonker

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2007
Not sure where you were skiing Iceman but I wouldn't say the lifts ran too smoothly at all at the weekend. I was on Bills which was broken down and looked across at Fannys and Village which were both broken down. Just as they got Bills going, Giblin broke down. I don't call that smooth - and the opening weekend was atrocious. Speaking of atrocious - the tracks! How they can get away with such neglect I really don't know. And its especially unfair to beginners on Village to expect them to be able to negotiate such poorly maintained tracks. A rollercoaster ride was a common comment I heard from punters. And for $50 a day, its a poor return. I even heard that Summit stopped 5 minutes after the lifts started cos they'd run out of petrol!!! Basic start up procedure - where is it? I have to agree with Tammie. They made TSL wear helmets in their last days. Where are the helmets now? And there's definitely a serious safety issue with those two towers from Big Ben lying on the ground. Its a circus.....

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Report from Bulldozer this morning.

Nil lifts today, snow cover is fair to good. Current weather (at 7am this morning) temp is +4, wind WSW 35 knots and gusting. Dense low cloud, visibility poor. Road open to village, all vehicles must carry chains and don't forget a parks pass is required.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
my guess is the snow is too soft and any traffic today would do too much damage.

I just report what Bulldozer txts me through
biggrin.gif

black

First Runs
Jul 26, 2007
Hi benny b boy, the chains fit a range of tyre sizes so if u r interested, feel free to give me a call (0409 355 334) or otherwise, post me the size of your tyres on this forum.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
phall I think at this time the mountain is having what you would call a breather. Heavy mist in the last 24 hours has gobbled the snow and we have probably lost about 100 to 150 mm all over. doesnt look that sweet any more.
Spoke with Eryl earlier and unless there is a hard frost tonight(highly unlikely) the lifts will not operate friday- reson being that any trafic at the moment would just cut it up and leave nothing of the base.
Chances for the weekend? suppose to go cold late on Friday with a chance of some light snow (couple of cms)a bit of promise but it wont be anything like last weekend.
Next weekend looks a bit more exciting That deep low is on the move and it should be mid nextweek 953+/- hPa with a supporting high to throw up some moisture. Could be the "ONE"

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Yep no point cutting up soft snow we will stuff our base!! may as bulldozer says get colder late today and get maybe 1-2cm plus a freeze which will be needed!!

Hard to tell about next week still looking a bit dodgey!!.. Will know more next model run..

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
official report!!! today 6.45am.. friday 27/7 Nil lifts 2 day. Snow cover is still fair. current temp is 0 . nw wind 15 knots , dense low cloud , poor visability, Awaiting colder weather to firm up base! Possible re-0pening tommorrow!! (From Bulldozer)

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
I heard some feed back the other day from a skier on the mountain of how they interpret the snow reports and was wondering how many did the same.
They commented that on Sunday their were seven lifts in service and then Mondays Sea FM report said there would only be 4 running, and assumed the conditions had deteriorated.
Unfortunately to operate seven lifts would cost AE a wages bill of at least $2k per day which would equate to a minimum of 40 full paying adults(just to cover wages, let alone other running costs and overheads) There are a lot of midweek days where AE would be lucky to carry 20 including Children, Teens, tertiary and half dayers (not last monday).
I thought I would ask you all on the forum if you also try to read between the lines and if any of you had any ideas how to stop the info being misinterpreted.
Please remember that most Info going to the media has to be in Dot point form, short and succint.
Look forward to your input as increase in turn over for AE and other Mountain enterprises, puts us closer to turning dreams into reality.
PS thanks BLIM for posting the SMS messages on the forum.

benny b boy

First Runs
Aug 1, 2006
Hobart
on the other topic, it'd be more obvious it was due to running costs if in the week they opperated say every seccond day, so, fri/sat/sun/mon/wed then it's be obvious that's the reason why and you'd get more people cause of the less days, well you know what i mean! the only bad side is if wednesday is a crap day and thursday is great! perhaps if you prebooked your intentions they day before? then if they get abouve their running cost they opperate?

black

First Runs
Jul 26, 2007
Benny b boy, the chains fit the following profiles - 195x14, 205/70x14, 180x15, 185/70x15, 205/65x15, 205/55x16, 225/45x16, 205x14, 175x15, 185x15, 195/70x15, 215/60x15, 225/55x15. If it's suitable, I'm happy to sell for $75ono.

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Bulldozer,

I think you just need to make a short statement like:
"Only four tows will operate Monday - Friday due to limited demand during weekdays. Condition-dependant, full operation will recommence for the weekend."

SnowManDan

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
In town ATM just spoke with the Mtn, Currently Snowing 1CM or so thus far. Me thinks that is earlier than even BLIM was predicting?????

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Yeah thought it would it got cold real quick in town.

You guys having any issues with them cams, give us a run down , many minds working together can advise some things to try ?

tommo79

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2007
Hey anyone who happens to be on the mountain at the moment, what is it like up there? How much cover has been lost overnight with cloud/rain and has the rain managed to turn to snow this afternoon? I'm guessing 20cm at least would be needed to make things pretty sweet up there. Is it going to be worth going up tomorrow? Advice anyone?

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
report from colin is that atm its snowing on/off but the base seems to be holding; if it snows overnight it will be a good day tomorrow but the mountain needs 5-10cm to be decent otherwise tomorrow will be patchy.. advise call the creek inn tomorrow morning b4 u go to see what its like..

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
don't forget too hat if the snow becomes too wet, any trafic on it will kill the base, so lets all hope for a big freeze tonight to harden the place up again

tommo79

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2007
yes, Chopper also reckons ben lomond should harden up

:MOD NOTE: Swearing of any sort is not permitted on the forums

black

First Runs
Jul 26, 2007
Hi, if anyone is interested, I have a Thule Snowboard carrier for sale - it carries 2 snowboards and is fully lockable (keys included). It is designed to fit Thule's square bar roof rails and is in excellent condition. RRP is $199 so my price of $95 is an absolute bargain!!! Call me on 0409 355 334 if interested and it can be collected in Launceston.

For further info, go to http://www.thule.com.au

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
I did hear only 3 lifts operating ??

If thats correct cover mustn't be that great 2-3cm wont help I think we had about 10mm or more of R*** ?

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Just because you have 10mm of rain in Launceston doesn,t mean you get that on the Ben!! As the ben has no weather station the closest station to get an idea of precipitation amounts on the BEN is fingal and upper esk. ..No full on rain fell on the ben yesterday.. sleet most of the day till about 3pm when it turned to snow!! .

Hopefully we can get a report from someone who was up there today!

tasskibum

First Runs
Jan 29, 2004
tassie
Was up there on tuesday, cover wasnt great, pretty bushy up top and some rocks all around the mountain. Needs another 20cm or so to make it any good.

Not so sure about the back as Errol didnt open that up and i couldnt be bothered walking over.

SNOWBOB

First Runs
May 14, 2006
Rovers snow cam looks good, hopefully the base can hold this week till the next dump, looks a little like wet stuff this week but the ben has been known to make its own weather, fingers crossed.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Weather i going to be westerly / north westerly.. The Ben will be the only mountain in tassie high enough to get much snow out of that pattern.. Is a strong change coming next thursday / friday which should top things up nicely for next weekend..

Check out the rovers snow cams on http://www.roverskiclub.com

keen skier

First Runs
Jul 3, 2002
Turners Beach. Tas
Snow was great over the back today and no people on the mountain. Village broken down most of the morning so it ment many beginners could not access the fannys and Bills area. The weather was great. There is still a very good base so the next top up will be good later in the week.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Thanks for the update keen skier!.. This week looks intersting. Will probably Ra#n first up on wednesday but hopefully turn to snow later.. Should snow on the Ben thursday friday & possibly sat & sun will be ok weather but bloody cold with fresh pow!

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
I agree if its cold over night temps we may get some snow but that Blue Line on the MLSP charts is close , May be snow showers on off ??

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass