Ben Lomond Snow Condition Reports

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Im still guessing/hoping for a little dump thursday night, I cant see us getting much of the white stuff out of this system
frown.gif

the roof of the lift hut looks like it has some snow on it ????

Last edited by a moderator:

S-man

Hard Yards
Jun 23, 2002
Kalgoorlie WA
Yeah should be and hopfully some of that cold air hits from the NW before it turns dry SW. Looking a little wet up there currently.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Talked to Colin @ the pub late this morning & the had a couple of cm of very wet slush early this morning and has been sleeting & snoting all day (very wet)... Hopefully should turn to the proper stuff tonight

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
We should see soon enough. I hope it has been.. Temps in Launie were close to snow on the ben temps. Rain in Launie at between 8-9.5 degrees usually means snow on the BEN!..

i hope it has otherwise we will have lost a bit as we have had 33mm rain in launceston overnight! .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
ABC Hobart snow report for this AM, "Thursday 2/8, Nil Lifts today. Snow cover is poor. Current weather- Temp -0.3 wind 15 knots WNW and gusting, low cloud, visibility 300 metres, 3cm wet snow o'nite. ore snow expected 2day. Road open 2 village , all vehicles must carry chains & dont forget a parks pass is required."
So sorry S-man no 5 cms not even now

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Damn,
And here I was getting excited hearing all the rain.
Anyway, thanks for the update Bulldozer.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
BUM.. Must have been just on the rain side of marginal.. Anyway 3cm of wets snow is better that nothing.. Snow should turn wetter & dryer today.. Hopefully we can get 5-10cm later this arvo & overnight!

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
txt from BLIM who has spoken with Errol at 8:15

10-12cm of fresh in last 2 hours. No tows due to wild weather and more snow expected!

Brods1675

First Runs
Aug 2, 2007
Well then Captain Powder, if Emma isn't at tennis on Monday you'll have a fair idea of where she'll be! I should have taken her the other Friday, so won't make the same mistake again!

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
This is awesome news...
Looks like a day off tomorrow!!
Get up there before there is another thousand cars on saturday.

Brods1675

First Runs
Aug 2, 2007
looking ahead the weather looks good for the weekend, so it'll be frantic up there. I'll go Monday and enjoy the open spaces.

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Im thinking of going up tomorrow after lunch if anyone is interested, I need to fix my binding first , It must be dumping up there now temps have dropped in L'ton a few Deg..

Cams not updating on Ski.com.au nor rovers site.

Hopefully its frozen up
smile.gif

CaptainPowder

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2003
Launceston, Tasmania
Brods1675 said:
Well then Captain Powder, if Emma isn't at tennis on Monday you'll have a fair idea of where she'll be! I should have taken her the other Friday, so won't make the same mistake again!

hahahah i told her that we had hooked up on that friday lol, np i definately understand is shes not there.

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
hell yeah tomorrow will be the bomb myself and maximus will be up there for sure! time to fix these chains, i think they'll be needed

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Im guessing Ben got a fair bit of R@in today with a few drops of snow early arvo when the temp dropped . I hope im wrong and it snowed all day up there. Anyone heard from the top of the hill what happened ??

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
just recieved a txt from the Iceman to say he has no idea what is wrong with the cam (but I already knew that) and that there had been 20-25cm+ today - so I hope he is correct
woohoo.gif

Maxcimus

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2007
rang the creek inn about 2 hrs ago.. they said that it had been snowing all day with about 30cm so far

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
looks like its still snowing too and we will get more overnight! the ben is going to have one hell of a weekend!!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Ian D said:
Now rovers start to understand the joy of running webcams ......
Nothing wrong with the cams, hiiccup in the sattelite with the rain yesterday. It got a little moist inside the Transmitter/receiver and had to be dried out very frustrating as we couldnt even get on line to let you all know. Back on line now and hopefully you should get a piccie first thing in the morning. And by the way to the man with the big stick I hope I sense a hint of sarecasm in that comment as Rovers are only running the cams because none of the commercial operators were either equiped capable or prepared to do it!!!!!
The latest from the mountain is that we have had probably an average of 20 - 25 cms fall today it started very wet and as such is very wet under the top 10 cms. will not amount to much unless we get a big freeze tonight. The back of the mountain is looking a lot better than the front, went for a walk up around the top of giblin and Bills earlier and it is looking great.
Still snowing as i speak . the grader was running this afternoon and should be back in the morning. Havent heard what is happening with the tows tomorrow but from what i saw today they will need some heavy de-icing.
Will be up early to clear the lens on the Cam. Cheers BD

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Good stuff thanks for the update bulldozer! Should get a good freeze tonight.. Snow showers will continue o/night and tommorrow arvo/night as another colder front crosses the state!

This weekend should be wicked!

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
So anyone going to make any predictions about what the skiing tomorrow will be like??
I'm no expert on snow you see, I know that the more the better, but what - is the wet 'slushy' stuff underneath a bad thing?

Brods1675

First Runs
Aug 2, 2007
wet and slushy isn't much fun, you just sink into it, and not like you do in powder. It chops up too.

I'd be suprised if the tows run Friday given the gale force wind warnings, and the apparent need to de-ice the tows.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
ski report on southern cross said very good snow cover with upto 4 tows tommorrow depending on weather and conditions... Will be a slow opening i expect with a lot of de-icing to do!.. Sat should be a better day..

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
ABC Hobart Snow report " 4 lifts to day. Snow cover is good with 25cms of fresh snow. Current Weather- temp -4.3, wind WSW 15 knots & gusting, Dense low cloud, visibility poor. Road open 2 vilage, all vehicles must carry chains, 2wd may be required to fit them & dont forget a parks pass is required.

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Just heard on the radio that the road is getting graded again this morning and delays may occur up till around 9:30 for those heading up this morning , I cant go now this arvo
doh.gif
!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Sorry Guys every time i de-ice the cam it immediately frosts over need to check out the heater???
Here is a photo taken freehand to keep you going.
ta1001203.jpg

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
:MOD NOTE:
Over the weekend I will be pruning this thread to only contain condition reports, remove the general chat and tidy it up a bit.

General chatter can happen in the Ben Lomond Bliss v2 thread.

The boy from Tas

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2007
Tas
went up today and must say that today was one of the best days skiing i have had on ben lomond, actually THE BEST
smile.gif

I was about the 3 person on summit and first run was good although the snow was sort of 'graby' if you know what i mean. After about an hour it was awesome on summit. Very nice crisp firm snow. I couldnt believe how much snow had fallen the day before, iot was sweet.

At about 1.30 they opened up fannies but it was all crusty and hard over there due to the wind! Pick of the day was summit for sure. had a blast and was good to see CP up there again
wink.gif

some pics of course, check out the cover...!
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

sorry fellas, didnt carry the camera with me all day, again .... over the back was the same though
smile.gif
it will be a massive weekend i think and im glad i got in before the hoards of punters come
tongue.gif

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Awesome pics mate glad you had a sick day, thats some nice looking snow, i got kids this weekend and dont think I can make it up, Any one know if the Lakes got any snow , thinking of driving them up that way tomoz
frown.gif

CaptainPowder

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2003
Launceston, Tasmania
nice TBFT nice, yes was fun today had a ball. Snow cover is very good the whole mountain looks sweet, the back hadnt opened when i left so get out there early tomorrow to score some freshies ( be bloody crunchy in the morning though id say). Have a great weekend people
wink.gif

The boy from Tas

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2007
Tas
CaptainPowder said:
nice TBFT nice, yes was fun today had a ball. Snow cover is very good the whole mountain looks sweet, the back hadnt opened when i left so get out there early tomorrow to score some freshies ( be bloody crunchy in the morning though id say). Have a great weekend people
wink.gif
they opened up fannies at about 2 and it was rock hard over there! so i headed back to summit
wink.gif

Word is all 7 lifts tomoro... have fun boys with the hoards.

tom11

First Runs
May 23, 2006
Lauceston, TAS
Excellent day
woohoo.gif
woohoo.gif
woohoo.gif

Got out for 2hrs today, the best day skied on the ben. Summit was the pick.

Please be carefull driving up in the morning.

Had to dig the doors out.
1a.jpg

3a.jpg

2a.jpg

ben030807.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass