Launceston, Tasmania
nice pics tom, cheers mate
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Report from Friday 3rd August.

Although you all can probably see it from the photos, yesterday was awesome!!
It was definitely the best days skiing I have ever had on Ben.
And some of the snow was in patches definitely the closest I've ever seen to powder on Ben!
woohoo.gif

A bit windy over the back, so for me the summit tow was the pick of the day and absolutely fantastic, especially by about 2 in the afternoon when things softened up a bit. Can't wait to get up again Monday!!
As long as there is the odd overnight 'top-up', the rest of August should be great.
Get up there!
biggrin.gif

And just to reiterate what Tom11 said - be careful on the road, it's quite slippery in patches. Hopefully weekend traffic should soften it up a bit.

SnowManDan.

ghost

First Runs
Jul 3, 2007
Was up there Saturday morning: great dry soft snow, excellent coverage (only big rocks showing). Weather turned at lunch to cloud and near white-out. Moderate queues. Tows have very easy trails now. Bills was cranked up to the fastest I've every experienced. Giblin was not running all AM (one guy de-icing very slowly!!!!come on guys)
Needed chains in early morning not in afternoon.

Good work to the Cam fixers and also the photo posters.

ghost

First Runs
Jul 3, 2007
Sunday Am: Excellent cover continues with some nice soft wind blown drifts and lips, all lifts operating (well done) and were staffed by friendly helpful folk (another well done). Weekday skiers well get the best of it.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Thanks KS and ghost, will pass this on to the lift staff, they all put in a big effort over the past three days and they certainly deserve a pat on the back. After some earlier issues they have all melded into a great team and the are a pleasure to work with. Wielding the big stick on friday certainly got the message out there that we wont tolerate misuse of the tows and equipment so we saw a dramatic reduction in the number of unnecesary trips over the weekend so thanks to all the customers who are doing the right thing and to the others look out!!!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
for some reason the Ski. com photo is not updating, for the latest check this out
hometrail.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SirWinston

Hard Yards
Sep 7, 2006
Launceston
Sunday was awesome! I've only been skiing for three years (first day was the last day of '04 season), so the conditions were unreal for me! :)

The front of the mountain was best. I stuck with Summit for most of the day. The back of the mountain was firmer and icier, and the weather didn't make it attractive until late in the day.

I hope this base holds and we get sufficient top-up falls to keep the conditions good well into September.

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
view from the pub friday
P6280062-resized.jpg

damn wildlife
P6280061-resized.jpg

over the back.. looking good!
P6280065-resized.jpg

Brods1675

First Runs
Aug 2, 2007
I went up today and took my 6 year old for her last free day of skiing before she turns 7 on Wednesday and I have to pay for a lift pass!

Bloody windy today, but I had the most fun I've had in years just mucking around with little miss, mainly on Bass, but by the end of the day I had her on the back of the mountain. When you're my size (6'7"), try not to share the T-bar with your kids. We fell off Fannies twice today, much to the amusement of the lifties!

Snow was good, nice and fast in the morning and softened a bit after lunch, but it was warm in Launceston today, so no suprises.

Big thanks to Peter the liftie on Bass this morning who was a big help with Emma, and put up with all her sledging and teasing!

hobartboarder

First Runs
Aug 24, 2003
Hobart
Went up the Ben again on sunday, great cover on the mt. Pity about the whiteout blowing thru, cant have it all i guess, Lets hope the base keeps frozen and hangs around!!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Great skiing yesterday, even pulled on the K2's myself for an hour or so with the mini dozer, had a great time just playing on Bass and village. O'nite the temps have remained on the up side of zero with a low cloud. hence surface is now soft and tacky with a little bit of thaw and a few bushes/rocks starting to show their ugly heads. still a great cover and with the chance of a bit tonight good skiing should be had for the rest of the week.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
We all had a wicked weekend very good skiing.. Visability was poor at times on saturday & sunday! Monday was better but big white out conditions in the morning with a wind that would cut you in half! The snow softened up a lot in the afternoon!!

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
anyone wanna make a prediction for the weekend? me and some mates are heading up for a 21st so we are hoping for some white stuff before then and some good weather!

keen skier

First Runs
Jul 3, 2002
Turners Beach. Tas
I reackon we will rain with all the fronts comming this week. Maybe a little snow on saturday but we never get much from the southwest. Still it will be ok as there is heaps up there.

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Beeper said:
So how will the cover at Ben cope with rain forecast for the next 3-4 days?

Not very well at all IMO , Its 11.5 deg in town as we speak so this isnt good. The frount that should be here friday may give us all some more hope .

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
current weather -0.5 degrees beautiful clear skies WestNorWesterly 5 to 10 knots. Cold early morning temps have put a thin hard crust on top of the remaining soft base. will soften when the sun is properly up but will hopefully help reduce the thaw. Went very soft yesterday (almost dangerous) but considering the temp and humidity we really didnt lose much. 4 lifts today starting with summit, bass, creek and fannies. These will change during the day to allow servicing and maintenance.
Couple of trip wires on fannies yesterday, the snowboarder responsible must think those that work up here a pretty thick, especially when you leave track around the conduits all the way to the trip wire, he is now a marked man and we will watch him closely when he returns to the mountain.

The BLC Inc.

Hard Yards
Aug 1, 2007
Ben Lomond, Tasmania
Thankyou to all those who have answered the Ben Lomond Committee Inc. Visitor Survey and conributed thoughts and ideas. Please keep them coming. The more information we can gather from the mountain users, the stronger our case will be to see some developments on Ben Lomond and for those developments to be what the users really want. Without your help and support, things will not change.

If you haven't yet completed the survey, it is here: Ben Lomond Committee Inc. Visitor Survey

SnowMammoth

First Runs
Aug 8, 2007
does anyone know what the snow and weather will be like on thursday thats when ive planned to go up, hoping this wind and rain might go away before then
smile.gif

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
i talked to someone from the snow hire place today; he said the cover was still holding up well and there is still 4 tows open.. he reckoned that nothing short of a buttload of rain will make it un-skiable, so tomorrow jono's forecast is icy in the morning with strong winds and overcast skies for most of the day, softening up in the afternoon
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
SnowMammoth I would wait and check the Report in the Morning. It looks like a heap of moisture will drop tonight and I think it may wash away a little snow, If the Low pushes north a bit and the temps cool we may se some snow out of it.

Thoughts any one ????

The Hut boys

First Runs
Aug 8, 2007
I'd give any visits in the next few days a miss. Just came down and left slushy snow and rain. cover is getting patchy, needs another dump to cover rocks and bushes.
Even so.. had a great day and weather held off until around 2.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Current conditions +2.4 degrees Rain o'nite. high NW winds 35 knots plus No lifts today, cover is still hanging and is graded good

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Don't know how you guys do the snow forecasting and that...
But next Monday - Tuesday's curent forecast (for Launceston area) is colder (around the 9-10 degree max mark) with some heavy rain.

I know monday and tuesday are a long way off, but are those the sorts of conditions that are required for the white gold?

Squidly

One of Us
Jun 4, 2004
TAS
Which Mon and Tues are U referring to? This Mon / Tues is for around 12 degrees, dry and frosts.

SnowMammoth

First Runs
Aug 8, 2007
has ben had much snow yet plannin on goin up sat but if its gonna be slushy and wet i might go monday depends.

S-man

Hard Yards
Jun 23, 2002
Kalgoorlie WA
The charts do look a little intersting currently for tue, wed and thurs but nothing to get realy excited about, a dusting maybe.

Squidly

One of Us
Jun 4, 2004
TAS
SnowManDan said:
http://www.weather.com.au/tas/launceston

This one.
It has been updated now as Monday being fine, but Tuesday still that temperature and heavy rain.

Tuesday's forecast for Launceston doesn't look right to me, I hope I am wrong.

Soft Powder

First Runs
Aug 9, 2007
Would someone be able to tell me what the conditions will be like for sunday? and Would it be worth heading up..

Tassie Tiger

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2004
Tasmania
Currently 9.7 deg here at Blessington (10 min drive from Base of Ben Lomond) very wild woolly weather, rain and strong winds, a bit of a snow killer I reakon. Hopefully the temp drops and we get some more snow up top tonight and tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed

Squidly

One of Us
Jun 4, 2004
TAS
10 degrees in Hobart and 1.4 on the mountain, lots of rain and wind has turned more w/sw. If the conditions just migrate north a bit more, Ben could get some snow.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Current conditions snow cover is moderate & rain damaged, current temp +1.4 degrees, extreme wind 45 knots & gusting, dense low cloud visibility poor. awaiting colder weather to firm up remaining base- weatherb is expected to go SSW later today and more snow is expected over the next few days

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Hope so, cause there's supposed to be a fair bit of rain coming later today.
What a pain in the ar*e after that brilliant fall last Thursday.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
It turned cold in the south mt welling now freezing .5 with prcipitation!.. The temps will cool today with moisture continuing! The ben should see snowfall hopefully from this arvo.. Possibly 5-10cm. This should stabilise things and we should get a freeze o/night tonight! . Snow showers should continue on saturday!!...

Next week looks good for snow possibly tuesday .. Late in the week looks big!

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
I have noticed with these frount passing that 90% of the precip. is rain and then the tail end of the frount has all the cold air and we get the light cover of snow. If any snow falls out of this system the back of the mountain wont be getting any good cover it will most probably blow clean off the mountain and into the vally

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass