Ben Lomond Snow Condition Reports

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
The weather will turn colder westerly with mositure still which is good!! Radar shows heaps of precip!! Will be snowing on Benlomond by about 3-4pm!! Should get a fair bit tonight!! 5-10cm i rekon!

Ben Disappointed

First Runs
Aug 10, 2007
Tasmania's premier Ski Field and you cant even put a sign up at the bottom of the moutain when you decide not to open the lifts

i was disappointed to get up there and everything be closed no signs so indication as to what was goign on and when we hiked over the back to fannies for a board the snow wasnt that badly rain damaged

poor

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Snowfreek, 5 to 10 cms might do it but the biggest problem is the firmness of the base and the extreme winds.
Yesterday we could not even use a ski-doo to get around to do some maintenance and I literally had to crawl from tower 4 on Bills to the bull wheel because of the wind and with the lift stationary the t-bars were blowing out and hitting the towers.
I can assure you that AE will do every thing they can to get them reopened ASAP
Ben Dissapointed, sorry about the signs In the past the BLSMA mountain manager use to keep these current an dwith the transition to parks there is obviously a hic-cup in whose job it is now. Thanks for bringing it the worlds attention but next time please come and see us and tell us so we can do something about it instead of having a [auto-censor] online.
with regards to the cover over the back yes there is some deep drifts over there however to operate lifts safely and economically we need firm snow on the lift lines and we cant subject our employees to such extreme conditions (a) they will get cold and fatigue quickly and then be in-effective at their job and (b) they might not come back tomorrow when the weather improves.

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Looking at the cam I would say not yet BBB ,

Ben D if you can manage to get online and post comments about your experience Im sure you could of done the same thing this morning and checked out http://ski.com.au/reports/benlomond/index.html , It was updated at 7AM this morning stating that NO LIFTS will operate today !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Disappointed

First Runs
Aug 10, 2007
Yeah thanks for that but i was actually talking about yesterday when wednesdays snow report on the radio said 5 lifts operating on thursday

got up there about 9 with tht gate saying open all lifts going

just need to sort out your proceedures

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Well Ben D the park entry is a long way to go to check the mountain status. There are many ways to find out about the conditions ABC Hobart has a snow report Monday to Friday just after the 7 am news. 7LA (SEA.FM) has snow reports every half hour from aroun 7.20., Then their is ski.com which most mornings incl yesterday is updated around 7 am and I ussually post the conditions on here around the same time incl yesterday (7.08 in fact) And more importantly these reports will give you much more info than a sign. If all these reports are just being ignored by people such as yourself I may as well save myself the trouble and have an extra couple of hours in the cot each morning and not worry about them.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

board-er

First Runs
Aug 3, 2007
Whats with the attitude bulldozer? a paying customer has made a very valid complaint and you bring out the "high and mighty" attitude.
FACT the sign saying the mountain is closed should be placed at the Mountain turn off. That simple. You even admitted it bulldozer. But nope you come back and act like the big tough guy. Your attitude is harming the mountain and its about time someone told you to pull your head in.

There is no way any other resort employee in Australia would "bag" a customer for making a fair complaint. They would go out of their way to listen to the complaint and offer a solution and or apology. If you want Ben Lomond to attract more people you need to offer a professional approach to customer service.
And yes this forum is a fair place to make a complaint about any Ben Lomond experience, people shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable approaching staff on the mountain.

skibunny1414

First Runs
Aug 10, 2007
hey board-er
Hows snow up there?
were thinkin if copin up 2 night, heard there was gunna b another dumping 2night or 2morrow.
Worth comin up?

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
That's what I like to hear!
So, Iceman - explain to me how you predict that.
You seem to have been pretty accurate in all of your predictions so far..

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Have you guys ever heard of GFS and GASP ? they are charts and if you go here http://ski.com.au/weather/cola_mslp_12.html you will see a blue line covering TAS anything underneath this blue line that has precip. usually means snow not rain , if there is moisture above the blue line its usually Rain .

Quick example I know but the simplist.

Looking at the great lakes temps they are in the negatives now so if this rain continues Ben will get it like Bulldozer said , temps still high tho at fingal 11.5 deg., hobart will wake up to a good dump i think in the morning.

LastRun

First Runs
Sep 29, 2003
You may be right BLI
Temperature at Liawenee dropped dramatically at 16:30, ie it looks like it started snowing up there around then.... please make it accross to BL!!!!.
Latest from BOM is snow down to 400m

LastRun

First Runs
Sep 29, 2003
After a 2 hour lag same dip in temp seen at Fingal & it kept raining.... fingers crossed

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Should be snowing on the ben now.. Temps at fingal dropped 3 degrees in under an hour with precipitation!>. less than 9 to 9.5 degrees in launie & rain usually means snow!

Soft Powder

First Runs
Aug 9, 2007
Would someone be able to tell me what the conditions are looking like for sunday and are there likely to be lifts open. or have we lost to much snow with the rain?

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
I think tommorrow will be ok early on! This front will clear overnight with maybe 5-8cm of fresh snow and a freeze overnight!!... Weather will ok tommorrow i rekon but will deteriorate with a sw change and snow showers by mid arvo i think!!....

See bulldozers comments about the snow report times!!! if you want to know before you head up!!

PS $5 CROWN LARGER promotion NIGHT in the creek inn tommorrow night!!!

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the link Baldy - had a look.
So what is is that blue line actually showing, air pressure or something?
I always just figured that rain turned to snow if it was cold enough.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Currently snowing, settling down to the middle of the ladder. about 100mm fresh on the plateau. as for tomorrow the base is still very soft and we shall need to assess in daylight what the conditions are. Cant promise anything but if it is possible we will try. Shall post it here as soon as a decision is made.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
:Mod Note:

Please try to keep this thread to condition reports only. All other discussion can be had in the relevant threads, and if one does not exist, please start a new thread.

BLB

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Latest is not much fell after 1 AM, cover is very limited and we have lost quite a bit of track on the lift lines. at this stage we will be opening Bass and village to tower 4. There is insufficient snow to operate summit safely (on the recomendation of Ski Patrol)
8 cm of Fresh snow has settled over a very soft and wet base, unfortunately this will most likely wear very quickly as the sun comes up

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
At least it snowed a bit!!.. Should get more snow this arvo and possibly sunday!!. Will get a good freeze tonight!! Will probably get down to -3 to -4 overnight!!.. Am heading up this Arvo!! hopefully they may open more tows tommorrow if we get more snow and they can repair the lift lines!!.

Hopefully over the back has hepd together better!

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
at least the sun is shining

benlomond1.jpg

Maxcimus

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2007
Just got back from the mountain a little bit ago. Snow was nice and fresh(about 5 - 10cm overnight) this morning but soft with little base. By about lunch alot of rocks started to show through. However started snowing about 2 30 - 3ish and was looking good with temps below 0.

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
yeah it's not too bad iceman; summit had nice deep soft stuff on it- about a foot in places yet they didn't open it up all day.. walking up there for a few virgin runs was cool though, when we left @ 4 it was snowing heavily (bout 2cm in half hour), so the next couple of days it should just get better and better.. cheers to the understaffed towies for getting a few up and running today, it was an uphill struggle but they got there in the end..

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Thanks Jonwah, the plan is for the same lifts tomorrow plus giblin, Ski patrol will have a look at Summit in the morning and we will go from there got at least 1 nearly two cms to day and we may get more tonight. Should firm up tonight I reckon we are looking at around -4 to 5 tonight.
I will update the website and post here again at around 7 AM

beccaj1

First Runs
Aug 11, 2007
Hello there. Very new to this so I have a question for you regulars. I was jsut looking at the weather forecast. I am planning on going up on Monday and I noticed that there is expected to be snow until Tuesday. Is it actually better to wait and go up after it has stopped snowing..... will it be hard conditions or poor visibility if it is still snowing at the time?

SnowMammoth

First Runs
Aug 8, 2007
so should be a good time to go up to ben on tuesday is that a yes or no
id like get a bit of a refresh on the skis before i go up to mt bulla on thursday

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Just got back! Great day today with last night 2cm covering sats track!.. Really enjoyed the skiing today on Giblin! I would describe the conditionds as marginal to fair on the front but at least moderate over the back. Giblin is good skiing Bills would be to but theres a fair bit of work to do to get track up bills lift line!!..

Started snowing as we were leaving!! Should get snow o/night and again tommorrow hopefully!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
current weather -1.7 light southerly hugh cloud visibility good,
2 cms of fresh snow late yesterday have again freshened up the surface great skiing is to be had on what is still a marginal cover on the front to a good cover on the back slopes
4 lifts today
The charts give a good chance of more of these little top ups thru the week before something serious at the end of the week.
Cold o'nite temps will keep it firm
So in all whilst the snow cover is not excellent it will be an excellent week for snow sports on ben lomond

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Just came down from the summit, have never seen such soft dry snow right up on top. not a lot of it but great snow all the same.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Bulldozer said:
Just came down from the summit, have never seen such soft dry snow right up on top. not a lot of it but great snow all the same.
so was it powder or spindrift?
wink.gif

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
if its the same as when i was up there saturday i would tentatively say real powder - i haven't seen snow like that on the ben since i was 10 or so! absolutely amazing to carve through that stuff.. surely powder is light, dry snow that hasn't been compacted, right? the only thing is it was small flakes not big ones; is that the difference between spindrift and powder? if so it was perfect conditions friday night, the wind died off and the snowflakes were ranging from tiny to 5-10c sized and light, and it felt light and really dry up on the summit....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass