Ben Lomond Snow Condition Reports

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Hey CP good to here from you, could really use your judgement as to whether it is powder or spindrift. at the end of te day i suppose it is still snow and that is what we all slide on. And TT "fluffy and powdery" that is real PINK. but all things aside it is really good up here and the forecast is really promising.

Trevtassie

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
There is a big difference between "still snow" and powder. If you think, mmm that run was nearly better than sex, it was powder! If you can see the snow flakes and they look like your classic picture of a snowflake, they are not consolidated, and they are dry, then that is powder. When you carve through it, it flows around your stick(s) A good test is to grab a hand full and blow it away with your breath, if you can do that then thank Huey, for you have been truly blessed.
Wonder how parks would react if we went on a tree planting mission to hold it all in place????
Just to go back to this spindrift thing and put it to bed. There is a reason the inuit have a hundred words for snow, there are a hundred different types. Spindrift describes snow that has been blown along the ground getting the crap bashed out of it. It looks like little ice balls. It's loose and unconsolidated and builds up behind stuff. It is nice to ski on compared to ice. A lot of tassie snow falls in a similar form anyway. It's not cold enough for the snow to preseve it's crystal shape as it is circulated through the clouds, the "arms" of the crystals melt into a little round ball of ice. Corn snow is usually formed when lots of consolidated powder snow is melting and freezing in the spring. This is nice to ride on.
Could go on for hours about different kinds of snow.

Tassie Tiger

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2004
Tasmania
OK, it was like tiny bean bag filling falling all over the mountain, similar to look at like hail stones, but fluffier. Is that a pink enough description BD :) ???

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
i judge what i was boarding on to be:

SNOW! bwahahaha..

nah but seriously it was fun, whatever it was.. anyone who reckons you can't have a blast on ben is mad.. apart from when you try to use a bush as a jump after you've already wiped the snow off it :S

Huey*

First Runs
Jun 25, 2004
Hobart
Trevtassie said:
There is a big difference between "still snow" and powder. If you think, mmm that run was nearly better than sex, it was powder! If you can see the snow flakes and they look like your classic picture of a snowflake, they are not consolidated, and they are dry, then that is powder. When you carve through it, it flows around your stick(s) A good test is to grab a hand full and blow it away with your breath, if you can do that then thank Huey, for you have been truly blessed.
Wonder how parks would react if we went on a tree planting mission to hold it all in place????
Just to go back to this spindrift thing and put it to bed. There is a reason the inuit have a hundred words for snow, there are a hundred different types. Spindrift describes snow that has been blown along the ground getting the crap bashed out of it. It looks like little ice balls. It's loose and unconsolidated and builds up behind stuff. It is nice to ski on compared to ice. A lot of tassie snow falls in a similar form anyway. It's not cold enough for the snow to preseve it's crystal shape as it is circulated through the clouds, the "arms" of the crystals melt into a little round ball of ice. Corn snow is usually formed when lots of consolidated powder snow is melting and freezing in the spring. This is nice to ride on.
Could go on for hours about different kinds of snow.
Thats quite a sensual description of snow.. I could almost listen to hours of snow being talked about in this way.

I don't know enough about snow to discuss it in this way... I just know if it's bad, if it's better than it was another time and when it's the best I've ever been on. I don't think I've ever been on real powder snow... the type that feels like sex... (I know, I haven't lived yet, but there's still plenty of life left in me so I have time).

I like it when it snows and there's no wind, and everything falls silent, and everything is all sparkly and white - magic land - one of the most beautiful places and experiences in the world I reckon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huey*

First Runs
Jun 25, 2004
Hobart
I don't think I've ever spent a day on Ben Lomond and not had fun.. you make the most of what you've got, usually what you have is a lot better than you realise anyway.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Erryl actually called it power tonight when i was talking to him!.They even said Powder on the southern cross snow report after the weather! Its very cold at the moment and has been snowing lightly up there on and off all day! I rekon it would be as close to powder as the ben get!! Its all good !!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
I reckon if you consider the snow to be as good as sex than you haven't had good sex. Yes the snow is good but if it's like sex it can always be better and when you get good sex the snow doesn't matter

Trevtassie

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
I reckon if you haven't had snow that compares with sex, then you haven't had good snow. There's nothing much better than leaning back as your nuts are caressed....by the jet of powder shooting off the tip of your board. Good sex you can have anytime...good snow is more precious. Mind you, what that german backpacker did that time was pretty good :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Hey you lot, please try to keep this thread to the actual conditins up there at the moment, not how good in bed (or out of bed) we all are
wink.gif

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
"I like your work Trevtassie" by the way is your name short for Trevor or Trevallyn!! WHOOPS ! Conditons on the Ben today should be great! Get up there !. Wag school or take a sickie just do it!

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Bulldozer said:
I reckon if you consider the snow to be as good as sex than you haven't had good sex. Yes the snow is good but if it's like sex it can always be better and when you get good sex the snow doesn't matter

HAHAHA
laugh.gif

I get on here for the first time in a few days to see what things are like up there... would have to be the funniest snow condition report I've ever read.
Bring on more snow later this week!!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Current Weather O'cast -0.4 freezing mist, 2cms fresh snow late yesterday , continuing cold temps have helped firm up the base. Great skiing is to be had on what is at present a limited cover.

SnowMammoth

First Runs
Aug 8, 2007
alright day today snowing on and off and fairly foggy started to fine up around dinner time snowing when i left 5:00

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
The bulldover must be off the mountain no report up yet but looks like 2-3cm of fresh again overnight by the early cam pick!.

6mm of rain @ st helens onight with a cold north eastelry so the ben would of got 2-3cm i rekon!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Sorry guys no sat connection early this am due to crappy weather
Snow is very soft above 0 temps and wet mist, 3 lifts on the front of the mtn

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
As the Dozer says The "wet snot" and snow gobbler will continue today possibly losing a bit of cover!!.. Conditions should cool overnight or early tommorrow morning!!.. I expect it should start snowing late tonight or by tommorrow morning!..

Snow showers should fall on and off all day friday with another front coming through on saturday!

Saturday will be cold with S/W Westerly with snow showers!! Sunday & monday should be fine with hopefully an extra 5-10cm of cover!!

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
So I guess I won't still be taking the day off tomorrow to get up there... Looks like I missed my chance earlier in the week.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
As Bob Hudson use to sing in the "Newcastle Song" - "Dont you ever let a chance go by Oh Lord, Dont you ever let a chance go by"

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Ha Ha Ha.
And it's definitely ringing true now!
Might have to book in next monday off and keep my fingers crossed for more snow over the weekend.

The Hut boys

First Runs
Aug 8, 2007
Well.. Unless there is some serious temperature differences between Launnie and Ben Lomond, I'd say it doesn't look good for snow as I was just outside in my t-shirt and shorts and wasn't at all cold..
frown.gif

SnowManDan

First Runs
Jul 17, 2007
Lucky enough to get up there after lunch for the afternoon.
Good skiing for the snow that is there, just need to pick a line but it is definitely well worth heading up!
Cool day, sun was out for a fair bit of it. No wind.
Left about 4:20 - sad to say it didn't look like snowing then, but couldn't say what it's doing now.

SnowManDan

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
-0.2 O'nite, now +0.4 no fresh snow good skiing to be had on fair conditions. light winds with excellent visibility. Next snow possibly tuesday.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
ta1001374.jpg

Front Slopes Ben Lomond Saturday Arvo
ta1001375.jpg

Back Slopes Ben Lomond Saturday Arvo

Unfortunately in my quest not to over stste the snow conditions I have apparently been to harsh and i have been urged by the paying public to upgrade the description of the snow to moderate

Junior Races

First Runs
Aug 18, 2007
As you know, the Junior Races are scheduled for the 8th September. To ensure that we have all the perpetual trophies available for the event can I ask that those people who won the trophies back in 2004 give them to Ben Lomond Snowsports (Ski Rentals) during the next couple of weeks. If you can't make it to the mountain please try to arrange for someone else to take it there. If you can't get it to the mountain please contact me on the email address provided at the Junior Races website so I can make other arrangements. Don't forget to get your name engraved on the trophy before returning it.

Thanks

Simon Lawrence

The Hut boys

First Runs
Aug 8, 2007
If the Powers that be want to call that cover moderate then I'd hate to see it when it was fair! It's not looking good for snow.. temps are up till wednesday at least and barely any precipitation:(

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
i just saw the news predicts highland snowfalls on monday? doesn't make much sense looking at the high temps, have they been eating mushrooms or something? meh, hope the ben gets another good dump so we can give this season a good send off anyway..

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Currently -1 on the hill snow cover is fair on the front slopes to good on the back slopes clear skies with only a slight breeze.
Next snow should be monday night / tuesday morning warm days c/w clear skies giving cold o/nite temps a cold front will bring the desired moisture.

keen skier

First Runs
Jul 3, 2002
Turners Beach. Tas
I skied Summit all day today and found it average for Ben Lomond. There was plenty of snow to get down and I think should be classed as moderate. Little Slalom, on the right side of Summit, is great. I think people forget how bad Ben Lomond can really get!! There is plenty of fun to be had on the slopes as they are, especially over the back.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Thanks KS it is hard to describe the conditions in a way that every one will interpret it the same way that you intended. especially when the official snow report prescribes particular parameters. If any one has suggestions /corrections or criticisms they will be taken on but please PM me not sling it out in public
So here goes for today
current temp +2.2 10 to 15 knot NW, nil cloud, visibility excellent. 4 lifts today. I would expect the firm surface to soften with the higher temps brought by these warm NW winds before the cold front crosses late today. theire is little evidence of much pre-frontal precipitation so we should not get much of a snow gobbler before it goes cold and hopefully snows . I am guesing 5 cms o'nite before clearing tomorrow and then a few more excellent days and then some bad weather leading into next weekend

SirWinston

Hard Yards
Sep 7, 2006
Launceston
Summit was good fun on Sunday. It was firm and a bit icey up the top, but softened during the afternoon down towards the middle and bottom of the slope. The kicker near the summit queue was fun :)

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Good sking on the Ben today .. Hardly no one about but was good sking on bills ,a little icy early but softened up nice in the arvo!.. This little system tonight will only give us maybe 3 -5cm !! It could turn southerly / southeasterly tommorrow which could drive the snow showers on to the ben! ..

Looking fairly sparce for snow (or Ra*n) for that fact for a least 7 days after tommorrow! Will be cold and frosty on the ben so the cover should hold!...

Hopefully we get this little top up tonight & morrow so we can get through till the next decent snow fall

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Currently -2.1, clear skies, excellent visibility, 4 lifts again today. A very light dusting of snow o'nite maybe 0.5 cm if your lucky, better than snow gobbler. not much on the horizon till after te weekend now

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass