ta1001461.jpg

Just To show that there is still good cover over the back
Taken today at around 5PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
hey im thinking either head up thurs or fri which would be the better day? if the cover will hold till fri (i think it will) i'll just head up fri, but is there any chance of less lifts being opened? and to the dude i met tonight @ mulgrave st flats, if u read this let me know who u are, never got to ask you if you read the forums.. peace

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
The cover will hold for weeks unless we get a big rain Jonwah.. Bulldozer can answer the lift question! but take your pick thursday and friday will be fine days!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
currently -1.6 deg, light SSE breeze with low dense cloud, Mist freezing out giving a light frost on every thing. 4 lifts to day as per ussuall and at this stage i would anticipate 4 on friday with 6 on the weekend.
As BLIM says unless we get big rain this cover will last a while , sure the tops of more bushes will start to rear there ugly heads but on the whole the cover is quite firm and should not deteriorate too quickly

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Weekend should be ok . Saturday should be fine for the Kids day!. Weather will deteriorate on Sunday late showers & windy!!..

Chance of reasonable snow next thursday 30th August! Which we will be really looking for by than! Lets hope we get a good top up before the school holidays coming up to finish off a good season for the ben

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

S-man

Hard Yards
Jun 23, 2002
Kalgoorlie WA
Well acording to report it was still below 0 at 12:50 but might have been am not pm, seems odd there would be such a large difference.

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
hey i got up this arvo and had a bit of a board.. there is still a good cover, patchy in places, lots of rocks showing thru or threatening too.. snow was soft and slow, but theres still lots of great runs to be had.. over the back is definately better, summit is pretty sketchy.. and someone should really remove that kicker at the base the landing is just rocks now, as i found out when i was in mid air ha ha..

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Sorry S-man but some one had jumped in and changed the report to "Snow play Only" Logged in at 12.50 when we became aware on the mtn` changed the script but it refreshed with this mornings readings. check out the photo or Jonwahs report.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Not banking my balls on it but i think there is a remote possibility of some thing early this week What do you reckon BLIM
Wont be much but beggers cant be choosers

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
I Think it may be to warm this week early on! Maybe a chance of a few snow showers at night on sunday!.. There are fronts coming through all next week byt in a milder westerly pattern!!.. It gets a bit colder from thursday on.. That will be the best chance of snow!!..

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Best chance of snow is still thursday night. Friday morning!.. Hopefully a much needed top up before the coming weekend!.. Will be cool & breezy on the ben this week!.. Will passing front providing showers from time to time . fresh west n/ westerly winds!

Legges Tor

Hard Yards
Aug 16, 2007
Bulldozer phoned to say the satellite connection is down, therefore the snow cam pictures wont update until it is back up. Skiing should be much the same as yesterday, ie sunshine and soft snow. 3 lifts operating today, they will rotate which ones run. Currently Village, Bass and Fannies.

Colanz

Hard Yards
Aug 15, 2007
Hobart
I have a couple of shots from over the back from today 2pm ish. Still fun skiing over there. Not sure how to paste the picture in for you.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Sorry Guys the news is not good "RAIN" o'nite has trashed the lift tracks and as such operations have been suspended pending further snow? currently -1.8, low cloud 10 - 15 knot NW

S-man

Hard Yards
Jun 23, 2002
Kalgoorlie WA
Thats a bummer, not much percip anywhere else, hopfully thursday night brings a top up ready for something more promising on sunday/monday.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
We will get snow late thursday .. Friday morning as i mentioned earlier!.. Hopefully we dont get to much rain first! There is another decent front which should bring more snow coming through sunday night!.. You never know we might get it back & going just in time for school holiday!

BenLomondBezzer

Hard Yards
Aug 25, 2003
Ulverstone Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Hate to say it but how can the lifts be on standby if there aint any snow for them to standby for?

Isn't the term standby used for when there is snow but the lift is shut? Just Curious.

Looks like unless the Snow gods deal well this weekend and next the season is over. Fingers Crossed.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Bezzer, I would suggest that they are waiting for the snow to arrive and then press the button and away they go again, as opposed to the 1 which is closed and will mt likely not run again this year.

I may be wrong though
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Current conditions +3.4 20 knot NW High cloud nil lifts 2 day. And you hit the nail on the head BLB standby means they are ready to go and under current circumstances will remain so untill further snow or towards the end of the school holidays when they will be "closed" for the season.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Been having Snow Showers on and off since 11.30. Temp fluctuating between 1.0 and 1.8 wind still NNW Should go colder as the front approaches. Sat Pic looks interesting. plenty of moisture.

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
woot, maybe a bit of snow in it? surely we need at least 15-20 over the weekend to get enough cover back to re-open the tows?

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
current -2.6 light westerly breeze visibility 500m, snow showers yesterday probably all up 3-4 cm fell but the net gain would be lucky to be 1cm.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
We should see some snow start falling this arvo on the ben hopefully.. Should snow overnight & in to monday.. Amount???.. But its better than rain!!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
currently 2.5 degrees WNW 20 knots plus, snow gobbling drizzle.
Blew the proverbial tits off overnite and appears to be moderating. As BLIM says precipitation should become heavier and turn to snow this arvo. How much??? 5-8 cm but some of this will melt on settling. However my twist is the forecast relatively low temps on Tuesday with precipitation on the east coast and calm winds should be good for another 5-10 cms?

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
currently -4.8 degrees light WNW around 5 knots, High Cloud, visibility good.
2cms fresh snow settled o'nite. WANT MORE!!!

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Unfortunatley unless we get this southerly maybe south easterly blow in this arvo i think its all over red rover!!.. We could get a big dump out of nowhere in the next week or so but that would be very rare!!

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
whats the chances of tows opening tomorrow at this stage? i know it depends what happens this arvo/tonight, but anyone wanna hazard a guess? if this system dumps on the sw but misses ben again im gonna go hunting for huey..

Baldy

First Runs
Jul 3, 2003
Launceston
Jonwah, unless something really drastic happens over the next 4 days its all over. I think it may be a good idea to keep a few tows on standby just in case something good happens up North.

Maybe tomorrow up Mt Wellington or anywhere south you might get a little snow to play in.

Its cold enough in Launceston to Snow atm we have had a few little hail showers but nothing serious.

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
well that southerly has come round from what i can see.. surely more cover would hold now there is a little bit down? and whats the minimum cover to open on? 10,15,20?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass