Ben Lomond Snow Condition Reports

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
It would have been snoying lightly most of the arvo on the Ben. Should snow all night but cause its so cold 2-3cm max i reckon unless theres some real mositure. The Ben doesn,t usually get big accumuallations of snow from the SW...

I Would expect that Erryl will probably keep the main lift on standby until at least the end of the 1st week of school holidays!

The Bulldozer will be able to inform us all better about the the status~

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
currently -6.2 with a 5 to 10 knot WSW breeze High cloud. Hard frost o'nite following about 1cm of snow yesterday. Too cold for snow o'nite with the moisture just freezing out.(just like early winter conditions) Temps should remain cold (below zero-24hrs) for most of the week still a skiable drift on Big Ben for those who are keen.
A decision will be made on the lifts this weekend.

Junior Races

First Runs
Aug 18, 2007
Kids

Things are not looking good for the Junior Races this weekend. There is clearly not enough snow and there are no significant falls forecast for the remainder of the week.
I think we therefore have to give it a miss this year and I recommend that we move away from the traditional timing of the schol holidays and bring the event forward to suit the snow conditions of the twenty first century.

We will review the timing of the event next year and maybe combine it with the Kids Fun Weekend?

Cheers

Simon Lawrence

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
I rekon having the Junior races on the 3 or 4 th weekend on August would be a safer bet!.. September has always been dodgy for consistent snow .. Maybe every third year we get a start`

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
This mornings Temp -3.3 high cloud excellent visibility nil lifts today 6 out of 7 on standby, Possible Snow late in the week into the weekend.

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
This mornings Temp -3.3 high cloud, excellent visibility, nil lifts today, 6 out of 7 on standby, Possible Snow late in the week and into the weekend. For those keen to walk the Big Ben Drift is skiable.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
unfortunatley it looks like the snow gobbler has baeen back at it again though
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
0.2 o'nite now about 1.6 and foggy. Mist should burn off dfuring the day and conditions should become clear before a chance of afternoon precipitation possibly falling as snow showers as evening approaches and the temp and pressure drops.
Alpine Enterprises will make a decision this weekend as to whether they will close for the season.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Yep i agree i would call the season a good one! opened i think Thursday 12th July -- until last day was Sunday 26th August!..

Bulldozer will confirm accurate stats!... 2004 and 2000 were better years... but still its a huge improvement on 2005-2006 duds!.. Were on the up trend of the cyle now guys next year should be better & longer with more snow falls whoo hoooo!!!!!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Currently -2.6 light NE Breeze, Good visibility, o'nite snow showers but very little settled. Should be a fine day not much on the horizon in the short term,

Jonwah

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2007
launceston
indeed looks like its dead.. i even dreamed about boarding the ben last nihgt hey
frown.gif
woke up so sad! oh well, time to scrape some cash and try and make the mainland b4 it closes this year...

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
If we didn,t get that big rain for 2 full days in early August we probably would have scraped through till the next snow fall..That doesn,t look like happening until late thursday or friday!.. You never know we could get a Mega dump!

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
S-man said:
Just imagine the difference 20-30cm of snow makeing eirlier in the
season would have made.
Snow making is all well and good but ungroomed and un-compacted man made snow would not have lasted any longer.

Ra_

First Runs
Aug 16, 2007
Hobart
www.grafsnowboards.com
Bulldozer said:
S-man said:
Just imagine the difference 20-30cm of snow makeing eirlier in the
season would have made.
Snow making is all well and good but ungroomed and un-compacted man made snow would not have lasted any longer.

He was talking about the yellow man-made snow Dozer, it lasts longer than any other snow because no-one would be tempted to go on it
sick.gif

The BLC Inc.

Hard Yards
Aug 1, 2007
Ben Lomond, Tasmania
A big thankyou to everyone who has taken the time to complete the Ben Lomond Committee Inc. Visitor Survey. If you are a regular, or even an occasional or first time visitor to Ben Lomond (or even these forums), the BLC would love to hear your views. Please take just 5 mins to complete the survey, so your opinions can be heard. The surevy can be found here:

Ben Lomond Committee Inc. Visitor Survey

Surveys will be being collated very soon and the results will be published on these forums.

Thankyou once again.
The Ben Lomond Committee

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
Heavy Rain O'nite +2.2 degrees poor snow cover. Lifts have been stripped. Would need an exceptional fall for them to be reopened. For those keen there is still a large drift between Fannies and Big Ben. The Cam will close on September 23rd
If any thing changes I will post it here!!!

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Thanks to Bulldozer for the accurate and prompt reporting once we got on line this winter. Also thanks colin early in in the season for sending through picks to upload when the cam was off line.. See u all next year. Lets Hope its a biggie!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass