Ben Lomond Snow Resort - A new beginning

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Ben Lomond Snow Resort, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

2. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Great vid, but umm yeh

ursnowjob likes this.
  3. almontyrat

almontyrat Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

What an utter load of crap! Where did you steal the footage from? Very little was filmed at the Ben, that's for sure......

ursnowjob likes this.
  4. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Same guy as the Buffalo proposal, clearly desperate to own a ski resort. Determination is key to these things, and this guy clearly has it with experience at Corin. Tassie is a small market, so the mountain won't get too much traffic. The business model will be similar to Corin I guess with a more skiing focus... Good Luck to them but it certainly won't become the new Perisher in the industry.

5. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

Thanks for the positive comments guys :)

Won't ever be a Perisher and never said it would. However there is a huge amount of support that has already come through as well as financially. With a population of over 500,000 in Tasmania and 100,000 in Launceston alone it is a viable option.

Nothing ventured nothing gained and why not? It can be done with a positive attitude and the right direction. It's a good thing for the industry, Tasmania Tourism and more :)

TropicalPow, teckel and weerab like this.
  6. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I've never been to Tasmania but all the images I've seen of Ben Lomond suggests it is a bit of a hillbilly set up at the moment. No offence to those that do go there but you can only do so much with limited resources. Any push to improve facilities can only benefit patronage at the Ben and the Australian ski industry in general.

Good luck with making it happen.

7. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Let's put stuff into stats
    Approx 20% of Australia skis, let's assume that for Tasmania 30% skis 150000
    60% flys across the ditch to ski mainland resorts or overseas.
    That leaves you with 60000 local skiers (all approx)
    You share that with Mawson and the BC about 50/50
    That gives you 30000 skiers, probably less...
    You have the potential goldmine that is snow play and tobogganing...

Ben is a basic ski resort and a groomer and a couple of guns could prop up the resort to be bigger than it currently is but 600k... I doubt you will ever get to that total. You need some serious capital (1mil will get you to standard of mainland resorts) , which you will never get from crowdfunding. Think government grants, loans, getting investors, etc... Good luck and if you do become successful, I will probably have a ski sometime over there...

How much capital have you already got, got any idea on how many support you have got for local area (Launceston) ? Any idea on what your going to do with the non skiing side of it (ski hire, shops, ideas for village, etc)? Would love to know more please...

8. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

And you also might what to do something about Jacobs Ladder

9. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

We have arrangement with snow making companies for lease arrangements over a period of years. All sorted out... As for the ladder, it is what it is and will deal with it as it comes.

10. rollyz

rollyz Dedicated Member

Awesome! I recon it will work. With a bit of today's tech, it will make big difference.

11. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

If Ben Lomond was local to me, this is what I reckon I'd want.

• a fun, well maintained, updated, and creative terrain park setup, for the regular core of snowusers. With plenty of entry-level and wacky options (mini skier cross etc) to draw in even the advanced skiers and boarders who never thought of themselves as park skiers. Many experienced skiers are simply not going to regularly come back for vanila t-bar laps on manmade - they'll be venturing into the backcountry and/or saving for trips elsewhere. This is the way to make minimal snow and flat terrain fun for a whole season.
      Yawgoons and Real Skifi are the examples here of what you can do with 10cm of snow and 10m of vertical. Few of us can ride and ski they like they do, but the creativity is inspiring!
    • Good snowplay options for the non-core, friends and family who the regular core will drag up with them. Donuts, toboggans, noboards or whatever, easy and hassle-free rental by the hour or whatever. Why not yukigassen (snowball fighting tournaments) as well!
    • When it does snow, you need to tell people and get the party started!. How cool would it be if there was a flashing light in Lonny town center or something like Bridger Bowl. The weekends that it's ON you need everyone to know, and be ready to handle it - you want to turn up on the busiest snowiest weekend of the season and be like "Wow this place is pumping! Woohoo snow" rather than "Wow what a clusterf, the road and parking was a mess, and I've spent half my day waiting with frowning people for understaffed and overloaded facilities"

12. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

13. chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Or Mt Dobson.

14. rollyz

rollyz Dedicated Member

Not everyone wants to fly or have to spend time and associated costs at a resort. Lots of Day trippers want to have a ski. This will be good for all the locals, a better snow experience not far away.

15. Tasjez

Tasjez Active Member

This looks fantastic for the local population (me being one of them). To know that there will be skiable cover on Ben Lomond through out the winter, coupled with grooming (the only slope that groomed at present is the beginners area, and even this is not groomed consistently), will make this a much more desirable destination.
    At present it is so hard to plan a trip to the Ben, as seemingly the cover is poor/marginal whenever I have a weekend off from kids sport!

16. Ramshead

Ramshead Dedicated Member

I think your idea is fine. Maximise a limited ski area with the one thing it needs most: reliable snow. I wish you luck. That said, I think you made a mistake in the video cutting in footage from places that weren't Ben Lomond. Kinda gives it a sneaky sales pitchy feel.

cold wombat and almontyrat like this.
  17. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Umm. Perhaps the video is a sales pitch? Crowd funding interest piquer? :)

18. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

Not a sneaky sales pitch. Showing what it can look like when done right. Hard to do it with footage that isn't available. Stock footage used to which we paid for.

19. chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

So grammar isn't an issue.

20. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Active Member

Crikey, somebody being pedantic about grammar on an obscure forum on an obscure website. Prey tell, what offended you the most? Ending the sentence with a preposition? And (that's going to annoy you) please point out my errors.

Stiffler and Jacko4650 like this.
  21. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

Update:

We are gaining momentum with a few new investors coming on board shortly after seeing our business plan and are aiming for 2018 to possibly purchase the on mountain operators. There are 3 of us at this stage.

More updates via our website and Facebook page will be updated as they happen.

teckel likes this.
  22. Tasjez

Tasjez Active Member

Awesome news, though a 2017 start would have been even better.
    Interestingly I have not seen any information about this exciting mountain upgrade in the local Tasmanian media?

23. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Because they haven't actually got the resort yet, it's just an idea ATM.

24. Tasjez

Tasjez Active Member

Ok, should have said proposed idea! However ideas need support and promotion to get up, as unfortunately only a very small portion of the local Tasmanian population would ever look at ski.com.au and even less after the ski season has finished.

25. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

We are currently in negotiations with on mountain operators and are aiming for 2018 for a few reasons. There are tourism grants coming available over the next few months to which we are applying for, these things take time and therefore do not want to rush this process. It needs to be done right.

There is a very big market for this project to go ahead, not only for Tasmania but interstate visitors. Launceston airport is the closest major airport to any snow field in Australia and we can tap into markets such as QLD, WA and SA.

We have investors on board now and we are going through the process of business plans, future profit and loss statements etc and are in talks with local governments and parks.

Everyone should get on board with this and be positive. It is great for the industry, tourism, employment and growth.

teckel, Ted Harper and ladycamper like this.
  26. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Good idea to grab onto the grants
    Good idea to have committed investors
    Good idea to speak with local government and parks
    Good idea to have local advertising
    Bad idea to assume people will come from interstate.
    We have a Perisher for that. Snowmaking doesn't fix everything, you will still have a shorter season, lower snow. Tap into the local market and focus on that market only. You could get half of Tasmania on the mountain during a 50cm storm.

27. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

There are tourists that do come from interstate and there are very cheap prices via jetstar. Albeit a small market, they can do other tourist related activities as well and can grow on that. Not all people can afford to go to a major resort. Info on this has been provided to us.

Snowmaking will give us at least 100 days from the 40 days currently available. Being further south getting cooler temps and lower humidities for snowmaking, our data shows a longer season similar to the mainland.

28. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Season Pass Gold

Good luck
    Just remember.....
    It's easy to make a small fortune in the snowfields, you've just got to start with a large one!
    :thumbs:

29. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

If I wanted a "snow experience" and lived in WA or Qld or even SA and had the option of ridiculous drive or a flight to Canberra and then bus to Jindy or Perisher or Thredbo is a pain. So this is now in the market against Hotham/Falls flying into Albury or Buller flying into Melbourne.

Since flights to Launceston are often from a larger range of options, if the price point is right (ie cheaper to stay there, tickets etc than one of the majors) it has a lot going for it. 2-3 days of snow and then 3-5 days touring Tas and home. Week away, some snow, some wine, some sight seeing. I can see there being an interstate potential here if they get it right, definitely.

What it wont attract is serious skiers/boarders but hey if you are in Qld or WA and serious about your snowsport you go to Japan, Europe or Nth America so they were never your market anyway.

Telemark Phat and Charlie like this.
  30. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Never work unless............

They can provide a secure snow cover through summer grooming and snowmaking,

Its the old story the business needs people to book in advance as much as possible, the first sign / experience of turning up to grass and rocks will loose the customers and all the friends they tell in one hit, entire venture could fail on the back of one / the first season if it is a bad one.

Secure a reliable cover and yes..............

Is the resort not in a national Park ? If so likely wont be able to prep slopes for snowmaking at all, makes it that more difficult

Chances of it being a long term success, 3/10 from me, but best of luck hope it goes well.

ursnowjob and almontyrat like this.
  31. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Depends on how much actually has to be done, but he has addressed this

32. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Thats an aspiration at this stage..........

33. almontyrat

almontyrat Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Ben Lomond is basically a boulder field with very little clear area that would be able to be groomed, Picture a few narrow winding trails between rocks. It is indeed a national park and Parks Tas have been very reluctant to allow any slope grooming in the past. A few working bees have been held but progress is a p*** in the ocean of rocks to date. Unless the OP has already brokered a deal with parks to allow extensive summer grooming I doubt that the pistes will every look remotely like those pictured in the OP's promo video.

The other major problem with the Ben is it's weather. When conditions are right for snow making ie temperature/humidity etc. it is usually blowing a hooley so the snow ends up in drifts against the boulders or off the side of the mountain rather than anywhere useful. The mountain would fair much better if it was both 200m taller and surrounded by other mountains to help break up the weather patterns a bit.

34. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

Ian is spot on the money there.

As for Parks Tasmania, we have the support from them and they want to see this go ahead. They have been fantastic and very cooperative. :)

The market is in beginners to intermediates.

As for summer grooming, there are conditions to allow this to happen to an extent and can work within it. Mindful of erosion.

#34 Ben Lomond Snow Resort, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  35. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

I don't know if you have been to Ben Lomond, but you need huge summer grooming to make it remotely appealing to interstate visitors. Also are you the only bid for Ben Lomond?

Hint: the only people who get money in this industry is Vail ;)

36. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

They just need to get Karl down from Guthega to design their snow fence layout and that snow making becomes even more effective.

Ted Harper likes this.
  37. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

He is also an acknowledged expert at "adjusting" natural features that get in the way of optimal grooming and snow farming - turning large rocks into dust, making trees disappear, that sort of thing. Would the challenge of a whole new mountain to tune lure him from retirement I wonder...

38. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

39. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

We have only taken in registrations of what passes people would get and we have about 150 tickets of various prices.

We have a lot of support. We will announce more information as it comes available. There are 4 of us involved in this so far with financial backing as well.

40. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Numbers? How much support in terms of number of people? How far are you from your target of $600000?

41. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

Numbers at this stage won't be released and the crowd funding model will be reduced significantly now.

We are aiming for 2018 now and in negotiations still so until we have something concrete we will remain tight lipped.

All I can say is we hope to have something in place early next year for 2018.

42. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

Update: We are getting close to our goal with more investors on board. Negotiations are continuing and we hope to have something in place within the next few months and hoping for the 2018 winter season.

We will keep you informed in due course on the outcome!

For those wishing to take advantage and get a 1 or 2 year season pass at half price, register NOW at www.snow.net.au

There is no commitment but it secures you in the cue past the cut off date around March 2018 if we are successful.

43. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Good to hear. Best of Luck.

44. bluecowfitz

bluecowfitz Active Member

Ben
    Ben Lomond Ski Slope Master Plan 2010 act # 7.16-1 max water consumption now 225l/min.Your plan 17 fan guns for 2018 season,have you submitted DA for Dam to lift the capacity? If not 2020 would be more likely wouldn't you think! I know that there is a lot more to the big show. My advice is to read the MP before you speak any more detritus

45. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

20% of Australians ski?? That's just a tad under 5,000,000 people skiing in Australia??? Surely not? in my workplace of 120 only 4 of us ski/board and we live under an hr from falls creek. Where does this 20% come from?? Just curious, not having a go.

gaz35 likes this.
  46. Ben Lomond Snow Resort

If you were within the confines of our business you would know what is going on and the above reflects the use of the current dam only!

We are in the process of discussions with PWS and on mountain operators, however one of our first priorities is the installation of a dam of up to 10ML, most likely 100m south of the village and beside the car park. We will not be using the current dam for any snowmaking use, the plan for a dam or large tanks was always in our sights.

In discussions past we have been advised increasing the current dam is possible as it is already in the plans as well as one above it.

Perhaps less detritus on your part may be advised too ;)

47. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

I had to google detritus

48. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

It's not a real estimate, it's a very overinflated figure, hence the comment "probably less"

49. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

Copy, I was almost thinking of buying a ski shop if it was 20%! Lol, or a ski resort ;)

50. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

I've kinda revised my opinion after speaking to people. The place needs a Reno and this is a great chance to do so, I reckon. Do it right and don't hurry the process. You can make a pretty good resort out of this landscape.